The Official Guitar Thread

Seventh

Golden Squire
Yeah they're passives. I swapped them out for Blazes, but even the stock pickups aren't too bad. I posted a little review of ithere. It's one of the best sub-1k sevenstrings out there right now, IMO.

Unrelated, this was the first "rig" I had as a kid. My parents got me one when I was 14 (1990) and I ran it into a Peavey Bandit 112. Found one on eBay that actually worked (these are notoriously unreliable) and couldn't resist picking it up for nostalgia value. It showed up today and I've been busting out old Maiden covers on it all evening, haha. All these years later, it still sounds pretty damn cool!
biggrin.png

zoom9002-1.JPG

biggrin.png

Rhaiq_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know of a way to toggle, at the same time, the clean/dirty channel of an amp and a foot pedal (through a loop most likely) simultaneously? I figured it wouldn't be that difficult to find a switch that has multiple poles (poles, channels, connections, not sure what term to use) that could do it, but I've been talking with the guys at Loopmasterhttp://www.loop-master.com/index.phpand the only thing they can do for me is to install separate switches and put them close together so the channel and the loop can be switched at the same time.

This post makes sense in my head, hopefully I described it well enough to be understood.
smile.png

smile.png

Seventh

Golden Squire
Does anyone know of a way to toggle, at the same time, the clean/dirty channel of an amp and a foot pedal (through a loop most likely) simultaneously? I figured it wouldn't be that difficult to find a switch that has multiple poles (poles, channels, connections, not sure what term to use) that could do it, but I've been talking with the guys at Loopmasterhttp://www.loop-master.com/index.phpand the only thing they can do for me is to install separate switches and put them close together so the channel and the loop can be switched at the same time.

This post makes sense in my head, hopefully I described it well enough to be understood.
smile.png
The RJM Amp Gizmo should be able to do that for you.

http://www.rjmmusic.com

smile.png

Rhaiq_sl

shitlord
That looks pretty damn cool, but honestly I was looking for something a bit less complex (and much cheaper).

Was thinking about trying to wire one up myself. Isn't the clean/dirty footswitch on most amps just an open/closed circuit? Then add a loop on the same switch. Then of course you'd want separate switches for when you want to activate them independently, and you would have to figure out how to wire it to activate when the other is off, and vice versa.

This may be more complicated than I originally thought.
smile.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
RR guitarists (and other musicians too I guess): I am in the market for a looping station. The only looping stations I'm even aware of are the three offered by Boss. I conveniently have enough space on my pedalboard for a single Boss pedal, so theBoss RC-3would fit perfectly. TheRC-30looks great because adding an extra track is a huge plus (bass lines!).

Beyond those, I'm not familiar with any of the options out there. Is anyone loop station user?

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just pulled the trigger on one of my bucket list amps for a while now. Pretty damn excited, going to be staring at the tracking number about 900 times a day for the next week...

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone have a good suggestion for an acoustic electric? My current acoustic is a really nice Gibson, but I've found that it's a bit lacking when plugged in. It doesn't have a volume control built in and I get crazy feedback. I've decided I want to buy a new acoustic electric that will be played probably 50/50 acoustic/plugged in. I play mostly country and classic rock type songs jam style.

I was looking at buying a Taylor, as I have 2-3k to spend. Specifically wondering if anyone has any experience with the Taylor T5.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My roommate in college had a Taylor 614. Badass guitar. I've been thinking about picking up a Taylor acoustic electric myself.

Seventh

Golden Squire
That's a great budget, and if I were you I'd just play a shitload of them and see which one has the most mojo. Check out a Martin D28 too - everyone plays them for a reason. Awesome guitars.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I don't think anyone really gives a shit about recording gear here, but anyway... (haha)

I finished setting up my reamp chain, and it is glorious.

reamp-chain.png

I got the Apogee today, and that just feeds the DI from the Radial into Reaper. Out from Reaper, it goes to the Radial JCR and then off to my Mark V. This setup works freakin' FANTASTIC, and I can track a DI with the Axe-Fx and the Radial at the same time, and reamp with both the Fractal and the Mesa at the same time, without having to swap any cables around.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A roommate in college had an Apogee. He thought it was the most amazing recording interface. Although, I think he upgraded from the Firebox. It looked like it made life easier.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I picked up a PRS SE Baritone. Not a bad guitar, but the pickups are pretty craptastic. Anyway, here's a video - mediocre mixing and sloppy shredding galore!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Recently got my Mexi Strat redone with Seymour Duncans. Sounds awesome now. The neck pickup is very Gibson-y (humbucker voiced to sound like a PAF), the other two are much more classic Strat. The bridge pickup is HOT.

Respectively, they're aLittle '59in the neck, anAlnico II Pro Staggeredin the middle, and aHot Stackin the bridge.

rrr_img_24044.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
rrr_img_24574.jpg
So I've had a few guitar experiences lately. Firstly, I've been practicing a lot alone and started taking lessons again a few months ago. I reached a point where my riff ADD was completely stunting any growth as a guitarist.

So today I played at the student concert for the place where I take lessons (also afucking fantastic music store). Played just two songs, but man it was a rush to get on stage in front of 200-300 people. But seeing as I run on adrenaline like America runs on Dunkins, went over pretty well. I feel like I passed this threshold of... wanting to jam the fuck out with people all the time now. It's amazing how mind numbingly shitty and difficult using a metronome is and conversely how easy playing the same groove in the same time to a real bassist and drummer is. So yea.

I picked up a tube amp (Vox Night Train) and a cab (custom ported cab with mesa boogie 1x12) and ... what the everloving fuck is wrong with people who use solid state amps for clean anything. Oh my god, it's like night and day between that and the mustang series amp I had. And good God, the TS-9 on an overdriven tube is complete batshit insane.

OK so, anyway, getting together with my friend's brother who plays bass and were going to get a few songs to go hit up some open mics. In the mean time, can anyone suggest a solid but cheap mic/speaker/whatever you need for vocals? I need one for the practice space I set up in the basement.

rrr_img_24574.jpg

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I played for the first time at a blues jam session I've been going to to watch for a while. Getting up on stage and playing for others is a rush, even if it's just playing a few chords for rhythm to 20 people.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
In the mean time, can anyone suggest a solid but cheap mic/speaker/whatever you need for vocals? I need one for the practice space I set up in the basement.
I have aBehringer K900FXfor that exact purpose and it works great. Perfect for a small PA for a couple mics. I'm sure you can find one on eBay for around $200.