The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm a Dimarzio reviewer now, and got these prototypes in the mail last week. Should finally get around to installing them this weekend.. (These are the Steve Lukather set).

transitions.JPG

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm a Dimarzio reviewer now, and got these prototypes in the mail last week. Should finally get around to installing them this weekend.. (These are the Steve Lukather set).

transitions.JPG
I got away from DiMarzio long ago, but I'm real interested to hear your opinion on these.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just took the plunge on my first guitar (Agile Al-3110m). What are some good learning materials that I can check out? I'm going to get Rocksmith to screw around with, but I'd like something to actually teach me to play music. I'd heard good things about GuitarIn60Seconds before, but the website seems out of date. Would something likeA Modern Method for Guitarbe worth checking out? Also, what should I look for in a good small practice amp?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Justinguitar.com is good, for online lessons.

People were recommending Line6 amps in the other guitar thread, but I'm a newbie too. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I bought one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Not from MF, got it at a Calgary music shop when they had a 50% sale a while back so paid under $500 for it brand new. Playing it through a:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

again through the half price sale so paid under $300 for it.

Really happy with both, wish I could find more time/motivation to play it more but what with moving countries (back to the UK) and other stuff I've got going on I don't have the time I'd like and it basically gathered dust for close to 12 months. Good thing with the deal I got is the guitar is probably still worth at least what I paid for it (its immaculate as I look after my stuff and it never leaves the house, even when its not packed for shipping and storage). Learning using these DVD's which got great reviews everywhere:

http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/

They're pretty good but I think my style of learning is fairly big picture rather than detail orientated and I do far more when I actually just play tracks (badly!) using tab websites rather than methodically learning C then D then blah blah blah. I can learn chords and what have you eventually if I need to.

My main problem is I badly broke my left wrist years ago and I don't have 100% in it so it makes it harder to hold some chords.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I got that Orange amp and I like it a lot. The built in effects are a good way for me to learn about them as I get better, without spending a bunch of money on pedals and shit.

Plus, to my ear anyway, it sounds really good.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord

transitions.JPG
Never tried these ones. But I have the Dimarzio Air classics in my B.C. Rich.
I like them.. nice sound, good "muscle" behind them as well.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Jam Play is well worth the $100 a year (if you get it at the year end sale, which is coming up here). There's tons of instructors on there, and will teach you everything from the bare bones basics to the ins and outs in a 3 hour breakdown of shit like Hangar 18. Pretty happy with it. Plus they've got a good group of well known musicians, and it's just fucking great to listen to them talk about the shit they wrote.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Need some advice from advanced players.

Been playing off and on a few years now. I love playing. Heres the thing. My hands are huge. My fingers when fretting hit other strings and make my playing sound dirty and unclean. I sound okay on an acoustic, but on an amplifier I sound sloppy. I like fingerpicking and playing classical guitar music, and classic rock, if that makes a difference.

Should I just practice more slowly and take my time? Any certain fretting routines? Ive never had a formal lesson, entirely self taught.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'm a noob, but I think you'd probably benefit from taking some actual lessons. You probably have some bad habits that are holding you back.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord

Been playing off and on a few years now. I love playing. Heres the thing. My hands are huge. My fingers when fretting hit other strings and make my playing sound dirty and unclean. I sound okay on an acoustic, but on an amplifier I sound sloppy. I like fingerpicking and playing classical guitar music, and classic rock, if that makes a difference.

Should I just practice more slowly and take my time? Any certain fretting routines? Ive never had a formal lesson, entirely self taught.
Hendrix had massive hands too. Be overly critical of how your fingers arch to make notes/chords. Play with thicker gauge strings.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm self-taught and never had any lessons. Sure, there were some better players who I had jammed/played with over the years who I'm sure taught me things along the way. But honestly, just playing a shitload is really the only thing that will make you better. Sure, there are some tricks and techniques that are good to pick up, but putting in the time and really the best solution. I haven't really played with other guitar players, unfortunately, in two years but I'm a much better player than I was then. It's amazing how much you inadvertently pick up when you casually play while watching football or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seventh

Golden Squire

For the fingerpicking you're in luck, because the string spacing on nylon string guitars is slightly wider than a standard acoustic, and nylon strings are the goods for that style.

For the rock stuff, it's all about taking it slow and keeping with it. There is no magic gimmick that'll make it more comfortable or that'll make your fretting cleaner - it's all about just putting in the time.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Never tried these ones. But I have the Dimarzio Air classics in my B.C. Rich.
I like them.. nice sound, good "muscle" behind them as well.
They aren't available yet. As far as I know, only myself, Steve Lukather and the other DiMarzio guys have a set of these right now. I feel like somewhat of a rock star, haha.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
That really won't make a difference. The actual increase in size from a set of super light 9s to a set of medium 11s is tiny.

Light: .009 .011 .016 .026 .036 .046
Medium: .011 .014 .018 .028 .038 .049
It's not about the thickness of the strings. It's about lacing up some .011s or .012s and practicing your mechanics with strings that do not fuck around. Lemmi was talking about sounding like mud on an amp, well, the heavier gauge strings aren't going to flop around as much.