The Official Guitar Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I've heard that the stock Peavey speakers can be a bit questionable. The ones in my Delta Blues are good so far though.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I factored a speaker upgrade into my original decision, but I hadn't planned on it so soon.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't think I'll ever go back to a single speaker amp, myself. Two speakers just gives a different quality to the sound.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's partly where the G12H30 comes in. It'll pair nicely with a Vintage 30 in a closed back Classic 112e, eventually .

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Rocksmith 2014 (w/out cable) is on sale for 32.99 on Amazon right now. For all platforms.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'd recommend getting last year's version for the song import, too, if it's relatively cheap. It's got a better songlist than this year's, in my opinion.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Agreed. I have the original, but haven't bought 2014 just on the fact that the songs kind of suck. Will probably pick up 2014 when it hits bargain bin pricing or pick it up used.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Bandfuse is out there now too. I've played it and it's better if you're used to reading tabs, since it has a more tab-like interface rather than the weird tilted note highway.

Its training stuff isn't as good though, and it doesn't have session mode.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I've heard that the stock Peavey speakers can be a bit questionable. The ones in my Delta Blues are good so far though.
I had a 4x12 Peavey cab with Sheffields in it for ages, and it was one of the best sounding cabs I've ever owned. Had a 2x12 with Scorpions in it many moons ago too - also really good sounding, and both sets held up to a TON of gig/jam/abuse. IMO they're pretty solid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I usually make it a point to never play an amp at 10, not to mention that would be downright deafening.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My friend cranked my Mesa Triple Rectifier (150w - 6 6L6's, 3 Rectifiers) to around 8 at my other friend's house. Absolute middle of the woods. Cops were called.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Speaking of overly loud amps, I've inherited a cranky Pakistani neighbor who whines every time I play through my Peavey.

What do you guys think of something like this as a backup until they get deported and the problem solves itself?

Electric Guitar Amps | American Music Inc.
You're better off just getting a modeler, which sounds the same at any volume, works with headphones, and can be run into a set of powered studio monitors. Something like a Pod HD400 would run you about the same coin, and double as an effects processor for your "regular" amp.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you breaking the local noise ordinance, or some part of your renter's agreement? If not, tell him to fuck off.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So is this the place to ask how I would go about learning to play the guitar?
I guess start acoustic and do that for at least a year (or whatever you'd recommend), then later *possibly* try the electric stuff (or not...)

Not looking to spend fortunes, I'd just like a decent beginner instrument that won't make me hate myself. Anyone want to recommend some OK brands to consider?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
So is this the place to ask how I would go about learning to play the guitar?
I guess start acoustic and do that for at least a year (or whatever you'd recommend), then later *possibly* try the electric stuff (or not...)

Not looking to spend fortunes, I'd just like a decent beginner instrument that won't make me hate myself. Anyone want to recommend some OK brands to consider?
If you want to play electric, there's no reason to not just start electric.

If you decide to go electric, I'd look for a Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster as a good starting instrument. Should be able to find one for about $300 and it's a giggable instrument for you down the road if you stick with it. It'll also hold (some) resale value better than something junky if you decide guitar's not for you.

Then just get yourself a little solid state amp and go to town. Or you could try Rocksmith.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey Seventh, check out the licks at around 3:45 in. Rick Graham makes it all look so easy.