The Old World - new civ-type game

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This game is much more of a war game than the various similar games I've played (civilization etc).
Yup. Forget to have enough military, get your ass handed to you. The common tech/econ development plans needs to make room for military or you suddenly lose in half a decade. The multi-order move each year makes shit drop on you brutally (and make having hidden scouts parked in places and not using orders still useful)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Update 2 notes. I really like the change allowing you to add generals or upgrade/promote after moving.

For more details, read the full update notes.
  • When redrawing techs, the research bar will now update to say “Redrawing” until the next turn
  • Clicking on the research bar in this state will allow the player to choose an available tech to research – which will cancel the redraw
  • Caravan earnings are now boosted based on market inflation
  • The cost increase per unit produced has been reduced for Worker, Scout, Caravan, and Disciple units
  • Units can now be promoted, upgraded, or have generals added to them after moving
  • Cognomen Legitimacy gives diminishing returns for previous leaders, rather than each previous ruler contributing half their earned legitimacy
  • March now costs 100 Training
  • The Drawbridge Tech has been renamed to Portcullis
  • The Warrior Code Tech has been renamed to Martial Code
  • The various tiers of the amphitheater improvement have been renamed
  • Previously these tiers were: Amphitheater, Hippodrome, Colosseum
  • These tiers are now: Odeon, Amphitheater, Colosseum
  • Ashurbanipal’s intro text has been updated
  • Death and Succession events now have priority at the start of a turn
  • Highest Military and Population ambitions will now list the highest rival
  • Military comparisons now account for total strength, rather than number of units
  • Diplomacy demands have been tweaked to occur less often
  • Events that result in a General becoming injured have been tweaked to occur less often
  • Spouses who like/dislike you will now lead to having more or less children
  • Some map scripts have received name updates
  • Names have been added for salt water bodies on the Disjunction map script
  • Names have been added for oceans on the Northern Ocean map script

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
I just can’t get into this. Way too much your son is doing this and daughter doing that and crap. I don’t mind some of it but every turn there’s 20 stupid things to read and decide on. Don’t care what my third son studies.....
Just not my thing

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Those family things, after a while you stop reading them and just mouse over the choices to see what the benefits or drawbacks of each decision are.. occasionally check your family/house window to see which ones you can afford to lose opinion with, but it all becomes very fast..

What really bogs you down later on (well bogs me down anyway) is when you're at war with someone who is an actual challenge. Making sure you move all of your units in non stupid ways and maximizing your orders use is really time consuming. In my current game I had about 10 turns when I was at war with Syria which took an eternity... but then once I had squashed most of their military and occupied their first town it started getting fast again. I'm speeding through turns now developing my cities up and squashing some barbarians who foolishly declared war on me.

I noticed that the game is still a work in progress for sure. Glaringly obvious example is that they haven't added icons for trappers or ranchers yet.
I occasionally get script errors in game saying it's referencing objects that don't exist too..
But I really think they need some sweeping balance changes.. Many of the systems and buildings in the game are not balanced right IMO.. For example I feel like the amphitheater improvements are not that crash hot and probably not worth building in most circumstances..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
I find the shift to 1 unit per tile in these games to be quite annoying. I think I must prefer the stacks of doom just so I don't have to micro manage so much.
Surely there's a nice middle ground, like civ3's army system, where you can combine 3 or 4 or however many units into a single entity for moving and placing on tiles.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
In Paradox's medieval titles they use supply limits and attrition to discourage doom stacks, but still allow them. You can bring your force together for a short time before suffering massive attrition penalties, but need to separate them again so you can retain your force. In peace time you can "train" a raised army too, so all the reinforcements during war are untrained. definitely want to preserve as much as you can to actually engage in conflicts with the enemy.

As it is in CIV style they are just yes/no on stacking with no granularity since CIV 3's armies aren't a thing anymore.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Victory in year 158 through ambition. Was on the cusp of getting a score victory too since my cities are all rapidly hitting legendary and I'm blocking several city sites I could colonize if I felt like it.
Rome (purple to the west) was the early game powerhouse so I friended them. They spent around the last 130 of 150 years fighting a war with persia (red bottom left), lost two cities fairly quickly then persias AI went to shit. It kept wiping rome units but not actually capturing the cities. Several times I watched them ride units across undefended cities.. Sad since people are talking up the AI in this game so much. Maybe the AI is smarter on harder difficulty levels.
Syria (yellow top left) eventually invaded so I crushed them and took all of their nice cities. Careful unit placement in the ~3 turns of main fighting was key to victory as their army was pretty strong. After that I just had to slowly wade through their respawns being careful to protect/heal my wounded units.
Carthage (white bottom right) i met halfway through the game but never really interacted with. There were heaps of barbarians and tribes between them and me which they never cleared out for some unknown reason. Again, AI stupidity.
Greece (blue top middle) were strong through the mid game but slowly got weaker and weaker. I assumed they were warring someone but wasn't sure who until they were down to 2 cities and I finally met Egypt who had a much higher score than anyone else. Gave me a brief scare as they had so many more cities than me and thought they might outresource me and slowly overpower me or win the race to 37, but they saw the huge army I had massed at my border and I guess chickened out.
I'm going to keep playing for a bit and try to smash my way across the map for fun. I didn't manage to hit anything with my mass of cataphracts yet which I want to try out.
oldworldvictory.png

Some key takeaways.
Early game is extremely important. The rush for early city sites can set you up for the future or leave you struggling surrounded by much stronger neighbours.
For this reason starting location is huge. You could get unlucky and have nowhere to go.
The default map seems hard actually since you always seem to spawn in the middle. I was concerned I might end up having to fight wars on 3 or even 4 fronts but it never eventuated. Different map types where you can start with water at your back would probably be very helpful when learning the game.
Rather than having every city do everything (like I did) I think it would be beneficial to specialize cities based on what family you give it to and what resources are nearby.
Leaving scouts hidden in trees in key locations can definitely help to see attacks coming, something I didn't use early on which cost me a city, but later on used it to get the alpha strike on incoming enemy forces.
I have no idea what religeon is for but it does seem like it might be useful for something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I was planning to leave Rome alone since they were good allies all game.. buuuut after smashing persias defences and clearing out their first city, Rome came and camped on it before I had a chance to (since I finished it with ranged)... so they had to die too. Took 30 years for my cataphract, cimmerian archer and longbowman swarm to steamroll across both of their empires. For some reason both of them were mostly building ballistas, which just made my cataphract swarm even better. I got as many as 8 attacks from a single unit in some engagements with careful softening up of targets using ranged..
I also discovered the AI doesn't really know what to do about being bombarded from range. If I put a line of cimmerian archers and slowly edge forward shooting at the closest enemy unit they don't all charge out at me, they mostly seem to back away trying to get out of range which doesn't work.
I think the victory conditions in this game as pretty well set up since I achieved my initial victory just when things were starting to get too big to manage properly. I didn't really find the large scale warfare of moving 60 units per turn fun towards the end.. My intrinsic need to build up every city I capture/colonize didn't help when I ended up with 30 cities.
I'm done with this map and might try a smaller one next.
oldworldfinished.png

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played a Civ-type game in a very long time, but definitely looking for a new fix in that genre. What's the best current game for that? Civ V still? Is this better? Recommendations.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I haven't played a Civ-type game in a very long time, but definitely looking for a new fix in that genre. What's the best current game for that? Civ V still? Is this better? Recommendations.
I personally preferred Civ4 over 5 or 6.
I've switched over to EU4 though which I think is better in nearly every way, but it's a lot deeper with a steeper learning curve.
CK2 is also popular, but it never really clicked with me.

This Old War seems like a worthy addition, but still under development, so don't think it has the polish of a released game that has a few expansions.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider

You looking for SP or MP?

I've had a blast with Civ 6 MP, pretty much account for 90%+ of my game time on it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Next game, points victory this time on turn 115 using Rome. Focussed on expansion and warring rather than city development and still ended up with 3 legendary cities by the end.
My biggest obstacle was one of the tribes who amazingly started with around 10 cities all around my starting area.. At one point I had two cities nonstop building settlers and 3 others building military for my campaign against them.
Once I finished clearing them I quickly stomped on egypt and greece for the win. The extra 4 wonders greece had built helped push me over the points victory line.. If it handn't, assyria would have been the next to die!
I think babylonia is out there but I never made contact.
Landowners starting city seems very strong. The extra growth helps churn out settlers early on which is key in the very early game land rush.
oldworldvictory2.png

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
They've patched in a new victory condition which makes it even faster and easier to win with early aggression. If you have at least half of the target VP, and double the nearest competitor you win.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So this game is great. Its super deep, I am finding, and way beyond the Civ-seeming surface. The intra-Civ family dynamics are important: You have to keep the number of cities each one has in balance at this point or they will start to get an Envy malus. They care about which troops get made where (who contributes how much to the army) etc. The number of unhappy people in each city owned by each family adds up to Disloyalty malus as well. I found that your road network cant' cross deserts. I had two hexes of desert that effective cut my nation in two for a long time because of that. The Crusader Kings RPG nature of the game is great as well. It really added a component I didn't think I would like in a Civ type game, though I guess I have been playing with it in EUIV forever. If Jon Shafer ever gets "At the Gates" out the door that will be fun as well but I have really enjoyed this. The combat/tech tree don't seem that deep but I guess this game isn't supposed to span ages, so it makes sense.

All in all, A hearty recommend from me if you enjoy Civ type games.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
On Steam as of yesterday. I've had this in my Epic library for nearly a year and haven't touched it. One of my superpowers with all the games I buy...

• 2Solidarity

faille

Molten Core Raider
I played it for a couple of hours but didn't quite grab me so I returned it. Probably grab it again when it's on sale. Seems promising but not necessarily one to deep dive into on day 1

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Just checked - if you had bought this on Epic already, you can get the DLC for free until 6/2. But you need to go add it to your cart.

• 1Like