The Old World - new civ-type game

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

A new turn-based strategy game that I discovered on Quill18's channel. It's much more dynamic than a Civ game.

You start with one of the ancient civilizations as the supreme ruler. You get to manage the dynasty (find the right marriage, see how your heirs develop - die and see your research rate plummet because you relied too much on your ruler's massive wisdom), deal with major aristocratic families. You can cultivate good relationships with an empire, and see it tank brutally because 10 years ago, you insulted the heir to please the ruler, and succession occur.

It's much more dynamic than Civ. Lots of events that are balanced, so you choose what trade-off you want (lose some, gain some). Looks far more interesting. Combat is brutal.

Alas, early access on Epic Store only for the moment.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah but does the sea level rise as you add carbon to the atmosphere?

Don't break my immersion bro.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yeah but does the sea level rise as you add carbon to the atmosphere?

Don't break my immersion bro.
Well, if the sea level doesn't rise, you can't get an immersion.

• 1Rimshot
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Imma check that out when it's done being epic exclusive

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Same. It's been a while since we got a good civ-like, but Epic? Nope.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only uggos use cartoon avatars for YouTube channels. Pass.

1589365905543.png

• 1Worf

Rime

<Donor>
Also, it seems that while they licensed the music for the game, they did not get the rights to extend to streamers/youtubers, apparently? Many people who tried/made videos of this game have had things taken down from music claims.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So far this has been pretty cool. I have a pet monkey and an illegitimate child. For clarity's sake, those are two different things.

1589529322943.png

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Not sure yet, playing on a big map and only just bumped into my first other civ as I quit.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
For those who are interested, during the Epic sale you get $10 off, so this is $30.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The AI good enough to spend $40 ?
It's $30 with coupon, and so far I'm liking it. Hard to speak to AI because they are whooping me but I don't know if it's just because I don't know how to properly prioritize right now.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Picked this up, it's pretty good.. getting my arse handed to me in my first run through.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Second run through is going better. Made nice with my closest strongest neighbour (marriage, trade etc) and have done everything I can to maintain the relationship. They are acting as a nice buffer against the aggressive NPC behind them and the two have been fighting a war for 100 years or so.. my friend is slowly losing but it's slowed them both down nicely. A similar power to me neighbour above finally got pissed off at being enclosed in a small space with only 5 cities and declared war on me. Their surprise attack took one of my cities, but then my blitzcrieg of reinforcements from all over the map arrived in the following 1-2 turns and I rapidly crushed them beneath my boot heel.

Still got a long way to go as I'm playing on the largest map and there's I think 6 other civs out there.

This game is much more of a war game than the various similar games I've played (civilization etc).
Macro stuff is definitely there and still important, but it's not like civ where you can get some high tech units and steamroll your way across everything.
You can have higher tech and more units in Old World and still lose battles easily if you are not smart with how you deploy them. Bringing the most firepower to bear while shielding the more vulnerable units is key.

Creating a mesh of roads connecting all of my cities helped a lot as I can rapidly deploy all of my forces to anywhere on the map.

Early game is really important as you need to grab as many cities as you can quickly.. You can block city sites by parking units on them to effectively reserve them until you have a settler ready - a very useful thing!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users