The progressive rock thread

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
These are full listening, there are some duds, but give it time.

One of the better US prog bands. Year is 1976 and the Gentle GIant is worn proudly on their sleeve with some groove of their own.

Go to 6:40 on this first album to catch the skills of these guys.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
So far what you've posted is kind of derivative, kind of stuck in the ELP wing of the library. I remain unimpressed.

These bands all have one thing in common:

I've seen Max multiple times. The hat thing was hilarious.
Saga is, well, Saga.
Mahogany Rush played with Nazareth. Knife hits out in the parking lot helped.
I was going to post Nash The Slash, but FM is one of those seminal prog bands. I saw Nash at a college student union event; very strange show.
Klaatu has to be one of my all-time favorites, and one I never had the good luck to see.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Tough crowd.

It's was lies closest to my heart. The mellotrons, the big ludwig drums, the flutes, the 12 strings, the moogs. I mean A passion play is my nr one record. hmm, didnt know ut was a competition. But i'll digg up some.

One thing tho, i really dont like that math rock shit. Don Caballo (pun intented) etc. Drives me mad.

DId you know Klaatu got people fooled that they where the new reformed beatles.

Japanese

(fripp on some solo part)

- THey are defo not a prog band, but pollard has moments og genius and you can hear his prog inspirations

Last edited:

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Some newer Canadian prog.
I use Spotify to discover new bands. This one of them.
I listen to the KEXP shows quite a bit. They showcase some pretty original bands. Holy Fuck might be a little too electronic for Alex, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
XTC deserves it's own post. The pop band with so much talent that you have tons of prog influences. In the time of INXS and WHAM, XTC was gold. The "the 80 where a shitty decade for music" is false. You just have to look.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Empath leaked

Most of the way through and the album is nuts in a good way. Devy at his goofiest without Ziltoid type stuff taking focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fuck yeah on Umphrey's McGee. That's my favorite band. Seen them like 80 times. No joke. Kris Myers on drums is a fucking animal.

Some other jammy prog. I love this type of music. So tight yet so loose. The drummer in this band is actually a really good friend of mine. We were in the music scene together in our Cincinnati days.

And of course Snarky Puppy. Next level prog jazz.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. I remember it clearly: The family gathered in the living room. The girls screaming on TV, my sisters screaming on the couch, the excitement . . . I was six years old and already hooked.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really want to see King Crimson, but the closest they're playing is in Cleveland (I'm 5 hours away in Michigan), and tickets are $75. Tho I don't think I have anyone willing to go with me, so at least I'd only have to buy one ticket...

I've got cancer, and every time I've gone to make a bucket list, seeing King Crimson live is the only thing I'm really even sure I want on there. But I'm broke as shit. Even if I make it through treatment and live to be an old man, King Crimson are old themselves and might not be around much longer. But I don't think I'm going to be able to see them. So fucking bummed about it.

Anyway, here's an interview with King Crimson mastermind Robert Fripp that Rolling Stone posted today

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
King Crimson is fucking awesome live. Love this recent lineup. I've seen it twice and going again in September. But yeah, their ticket prices are stupid.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know the jam stuff isn't really the scene here, but just take a moment to appreciate the composition of Reba. The composed section of 2:24-6:14 is so fucking complicated. And they nail it live. Then it ends in a sick Zappa-esque solo.