The Promise (2016)

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Promise (2016)

Genre: Romance, Drama

Director: Terry George

Cast: Oscar Isaac, Charlotte Le Bon, Christian Bale, Daniel Giménez Cacho, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Rade Serbedzija, Marwan Kenzari, Angela Sarafyan, Tom Hollander, Numan Acar, Igal Naor, Milene Mayer, Tamer Hassan, Alicia Borrachero, Abel Folk, Jean Reno, James Cromwell, Kevork Malikyan, Lucía Zorrilla, Roman Mitichyan, Armin Amiri, Stewart Scudamore, Andrew Tarbet, Aharon Ipalé, Shnorhk Sargsyan, Aaron Neil, James Chanos, Anthony Rotsa, Michael Stahl-David, Àlex Maruny

Release: 2016-09-11

Runtime: 130

Plot: Set during the last days of the Ottoman Empire, The Promise follows a love triangle between Michael, a brilliant medical student, the beautiful and sophisticated artist Ana, and Chris - a renowned American journalist based in Paris.

Last edited by a moderator:

spronk

FPS noob

No release date, probably means late Dec in a few theaters so it can get Oscar nominations for 2016.

Tough subject, but the director previously did Hotel Rwanda so you know he's no pussy. Its going to massively piss off Turkey, who have denied all accusations of the Armenian genocide. Wouldn't be surprised if the stars are barred from entering Turkey after this trailer.

Filmography looks beautiful as do the supporting cast but a big nope from me for the sad subject matter.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

No release date, probably means late Dec in a few theaters so it can get Oscar nominations for 2016.

Tough subject, but the director previously did Hotel Rwanda so you know he's no pussy. Its going to massively piss off Turkey, who have denied all accusations of the Armenian genocide. Wouldn't be surprised if the stars are barred from entering Turkey after this trailer.

Filmography looks beautiful as do the supporting cast but a big nope from me for the sad subject matter.
Some people can't feel real emotions in their own lives and have to go downer movies to actually experience life. Otherwise I can't explain the attraction to this kind of tearjerker melodrama. It looks like a technical masterpiece, though, and the cast is aces.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Some people can't feel real emotions in their own lives and have to go downer movies to actually experience life. Otherwise I can't explain the attraction to this kind of tearjerker melodrama. It looks like a technical masterpiece, though, and the cast is aces.

Helps me to remember what some people go through in life, and how good I have it.

That said, if there's a movie based around an animal that dies at the end. Count me the fuck out.

kudos

<Banned>
I don't think it's that they can't feel real emotions in their life. I think 99% of people these days just have a boring fucking worthless life.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I don't think it's that they can't feel real emotions in their life. I think 99% of people these days just have a boring fucking worthless life.
We actually had the same meaning in mind; not that these folks are actually unable to feel unable to feel emotions in the sociopathic sense but so lacking in own lives they need to feed vampirically on the hardships and dramas of others.

spronk

FPS noob
that seems kind of a harsh way to look at people who like dramas and shit. maybe they just like crying or something

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
that seems kind of a harsh way to look at people who like dramas and shit. maybe they just like crying or something

Yeah, who the fuck is so boring they want to watch dramas play out to better understand there world or be moved. Fucking Greeks and their Tragedys.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If a movie makes you sad, it's a bad movie not worth seeing because you're not feeling sad enough in your own life? Great argument! Definitely instead of seeing a movie like this you should go to Iraq and firsthand experience the Yazidi genocide, for example.

Are people who read history books the same kind of vampiric emotion feeders? They don't have enough going on in their own lives, they have to read about the lives of people in the past!

To some people, film is not just purely entertainment designed to showcase super hero action. It's a way to create connections between disparate world views and experiences, to put yourself in the shoes of another. It can broaden perspectives and make you think in different ways or of different things than you might otherwise have. There are many reasons. Do you even art? It's ironic that you would say such people can't feel and that they're the hollow ones.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm

It's only going to get worse as machines take over production.

Then again, technically we all live worthless lives. That's the Nihlist in me speaking.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database