The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
55ikr8.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The overall tone of the Re:View was odd. You think you like Mortal Kombat but you don't! It's terrible! That's just nostalgia! Jay brought it up a couple different times even and then they both transitioned to not understanding why people like Event Horizon. Maybe it's just nostalgia!

Event Horizon was my first taste of anything that had to do with madness/other dimensions/cosmic horror. I can thank it for my love of HP Lovecraft and Warhammer 40k. That alone puts it my top 5 all time movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I recently reread a ton of Lovecraft stuff. As ideas, they are brilliant. As stories, they are boring as fuck. They just aren't well constructed and tend to repeat previous themes over and over, and god knows Lovecraft was no fan of dialogue. It was so influential and touched so many ideas that just weren't explored in popular culture that it's hard to be too critical, but an honest evaluation of his work just finds it wanting, especially when instead of slogging through his work I can read better works that he inspired and aren't boring.

I look at this kind of the same. I'd love to see a fleet of sci-fi horror inspired by Event Horizon with real creators in control. Shit, Barker has the rights to Hellraiser back, just let him remake it with cenobites like Anderson obviously wanted to but couldn't anyway. But it hasn't had the same societal impact, unfortunately.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I have very fond memories of Event Horizon. 12 or so year old me alone at home in the middle of the night watching it, being scared like a little child.

Seeing some of the scenes now, I am happy I never rewatched it and just kept it as a memory of a fun horror experience. Doubt it would have the same effect now or when you watched it when you were older.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I recently reread a ton of Lovecraft stuff. As ideas, they are brilliant. As stories, they are boring as fuck. They just aren't well constructed and tend to repeat previous themes over and over, and god knows Lovecraft was no fan of dialogue. It was so influential and touched so many ideas that just weren't explored in popular culture that it's hard to be too critical, but an honest evaluation of his work just finds it wanting, especially when instead of slogging through his work I can read better works that he inspired and aren't boring.

I get what you are saying but he was writing this one hundred years ago.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Event Horizon was my first taste of anything that had to do with madness/other dimensions/cosmic horror. I can thank it for my love of HP Lovecraft and Warhammer 40k. That alone puts it my top 5 all time movies.

That's the other issue I have with their review. Not everyone finds the same kinds of things to be compelling or scary so you can get big disconnects even between fans of the horror genre. "This is the shit I find scary" can really elevate a flawed film. Jay should know that rather than retreating to nostalgia as an explanation.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Directors Cut makes it much better.

sadly in the commentary we find out a bunch of awesome scenes were lost in salt mine (and I think some stuff lost in a fire)

One of those scenes was the extra long orgy death scene lol.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

I look at this kind of the same. I'd love to see a fleet of sci-fi horror inspired by Event Horizon with real creators in control. Shit, Barker has the rights to Hellraiser back, just let him remake it with cenobites like Anderson obviously wanted to but couldn't anyway. But it hasn't had the same societal impact, unfortunately.
Thankfully your opinion is only on the internet.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
heresy, you didnt see From Beyond as a kid? that movie fucked with me. i still think about it 30+ years later.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I get what you are saying but he was writing this one hundred years ago.
He's right though - I read a massive compendium of Lovecraft stories and the themes do tend to repeat themselves. Out of all the stories I read, there were 2 really great ones (the Mountains and....erm.....maybe the Color?.....but some of them were REALLY boring. There was another one with a series of underground torture/demon chambers that was pretty good too.

But they are not Want To Reread stories. One can easily understand their MASSIVE influence, and marvel that he was pumping out these gruesome, hideous stories in a time of Gentlemen, but in modern times (CURRENT YEAR) they do tend to be a little dry. They tend to the creeping terror just around the corner, but don't have the same psychological impact of something more modern like the Annihilation series (that has MANY Lovecraftian influences). I need to read those books again I think.

Edit - I watched Event Horizon when I was sick with a fever and it scared the shit out of me. It was not so bad on rewatching, but I like it. I would LOVE to see someone redo the Hellraiser concept again. I miss Barker. He wrote some really great books too, including Imagica and Weaveworld that had amazingly novel world building.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
While I agree that all his work isn't entirely compelling, saying only 2 are worth a re-read is silly. Pickman's Model is incredible even by today's standards.

Also, it spawned the greatest Gamecube game of all time, Eternal Darkness.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love Event Horizon; watched it like a month or so ago. I 100% equated it to the Warp from Warhammer 40k when I first saw it, and still think of it that way today. I actually really liked the characters and their interactions; the only character that was kind of lacking was the main chick herself. Everyone else had nightmare shit happen; she didn't really until the 'gotcha' at the end. Same with the rescue artist guy, though I guess floating in space with no lifeline is kind of f'n terrifying as a concept, even if he joked his way back to the ship.

It's still good; one of the few times I kind of disagree with the RLM folks.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
heresy, you didnt see From Beyond as a kid? that movie fucked with me. i still think about it 30+ years later.

I sometimes forget he even did other movies, like the Dr. Strange knock-off, Doctor Mordrid (to be fair, he has had 138 roles). I finally got to catch him at a Convention, he's a charming motherfucker.

Weyoun.jpg

371bce7dc83817b7893bcdeed13799b5.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I first saw Combs in Frighteners and he blew everyone else in that movie out of the water. He is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated character actors out there.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I first saw Combs in Frighteners and he blew everyone else in that movie out of the water. He is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated character actors out there.
thats because Jake Busey was only in it for 2 minutes

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Eh Jake didn't have the drug-fueled intensity of his dad. He's fine, but unless you need every scene chewed like you're about to feed it to a baby bird, Combs is the superior actor by far, in my opinion.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eh Jake didn't have the drug-fueled intensity of his dad. He's fine, but unless you need every scene chewed like you're about to feed it to a baby bird, Combs is the superior actor by far, in my opinion.
well yeah, just saying the few scenes Jake is in, he usually garners all the attention.
when he was in Starship Troopers, all you can do is look at him with his toothy grin and wonder, what the fuck is wrong with that guy?

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Frighteners is another underrated movie. That one goes from silly creepy to legitimately creepy in a very stealthy manner. Or, at least, that is how I remember it.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Frightener's is a great movie and also the reason WETA took off. The entire LOTR trilogy owes it's special effects to that movie

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users