The Return of the Pink (Floyd)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
anyway, i did say that waters is 99% of the band. all you gilmore fanboys have your heads up your asses. he's a great guitarist but wtf good did he everwrite? he may as well be a member of the eagles. he lucked into one of the greatest musical collaborations in history. he is paul mccartney to waters' john lennon. don't get me wrong, i love gilmore but c'mon - his first solo album? it sucked. roger waters took it and turned it into "comfortably numb". waters' solo album? the fucking wall, dude.
What? Gilmour's solo albums are great. And he wrote the best song on Animals. Waters only wrote a small piece of Dogs. The rest was all Gilmour.

And how the fuck do you downplay McCartney? He wrote a TON of the Beatles material.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
Waters only wrote a small piece of Dogs.
if that's your best argument for gilmore and you don't get what i'm saying i don't know what to tell you.

and all i'm saying about paul mccartney is that he isn't john lennon.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If Gilmour wasn't in Pink Floyd and I had to listen to Waters' terrible bitch ass whiny voice in every song I wouldn't like them.

And dat guitar.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, that's what no one has given Gilmour credit for in this thread. He wasn't just a badass guitar player but his voice is awesome, too. Waters wrote most of Darkside but as great as those songs are they don't work w/o Gilmour.

Can't we just agree that they're both awesome and Floyd isn't really Floyd without either of them?

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i mean it's basically like saying bob dylan sucks because he can't sing but whatever.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, that's what no one has given Gilmour credit for in this thread. He wasn't just a badass guitar player but his voice is awesome, too. Waters wrote most of Darkside but as great as those songs are they don't work w/o Gilmour.

Can't we just agree that they're both awesome and Floyd isn't really Floyd without either of them?
Pretty much end thread with this post.

Column_sl

shitlord
I like them both,they are completely different. Just an amazing band.

Have they released a possible tour schedule?

Morbeas

Silver Squire
I know it's pointless arguing music with children but Pink Floyd is probably one of the most original bands of all time. And to say no one in Pink Floyd had any talent??? Ugh...

And yes I agree that Floyd isn't Floyd without both Waters and Gilmour.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The Final Cut is a very underrated album. Its connection to the Wall is often overlooked, but if you give it a whirl, its refreshing and very much in line with the spirit of what The Wall represented. It lacks the radio appeal for sure, but as a body of work, I think its a solid album

That said, it surprises me to hear people say in this thread that 80% of their music is garbage when that work includes the albums: Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. Most bands strive to have just one album as solid as any of these. I also feel Momentary Lapse of Reason was a very good album, it lacked the inward lament Waters brought, and certainly lost quite a bit of its psychedelic edge, but had some great textures and obviously Gilmours stellar guitar work.

I did not get into much of their earlier work personally and agree that Barrett was holding them back. While he served as a muse and a catalyst for what they become, had he remained, I highly doubt the band would be what we know of them today.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I actually liked The Division Bell, I'm excited for this. It's not Pink Floyd though.
Actually it is. These are not fresh cuts. From thewiki:

In July 2014, Samson announced on Twitter that a new Pink Floyd album titled The Endless River would be released in November.[241] Former backing vocalist Durga McBroom said that the music came from a side project called "The Big Spliff", recorded at the Division Bell sessions, and added that Gilmour and Mason had done more recent work. The music features Wright, but Waters is not involved.[242] Gilmour stated that The Endless River will be Pink Floyd's last album, saying: "I think we have successfully commandeered the best of what there is ... It's a shame, but this is the end."[243]

So its essentially the lineup of Momentary and Division.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I believe he was implying that Pink Floyd without Gilmour and Waters isn't truly Pink Floyd. So basically, the last legit Pink Floyd album was The Final Cut. Which was appropriately named.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I believe he was implying that Pink Floyd without Gilmour and Waters isn't truly Pink Floyd. So basically, the last legit Pink Floyd album was The Final Cut. Which was appropriately named.
Gilmour is in on the album? Call it what you want, I like the post waters setup just as much as I liked it when he was around. They made brilliant albums and the division bell is like the best thing ever to listen to when you want to chill out. Same with his solo 'on an island'

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No discussion yet? This came out on Tuesday. I just listened to it for the first time today. All instrumental except for the last track - which is kind of a bummer because I could go for some sweet Gilmour vocals. It's organized into four movements. It really should just be four long songs. The first movement is very SOYCD-esque. Typical Pink Floyd/Gilmour sound. I dig it. I think it'll grow on me quite a bit.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
No discussion yet? This came out on Tuesday. I just listened to it for the first time today. All instrumental except for the last track - which is kind of a bummer because I could go for some sweet Gilmour vocals. It's organized into four movements. It really should just be four long songs. The first movement is very SOYCD-esque. Typical Pink Floyd/Gilmour sound. I dig it. I think it'll grow on me quite a bit.
Yeah, I like it. I just wish there were more vocals.