The Sandman

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
They actually did not do that scene justice. In the graphic novel you see the mother look at the baby and then collapse to the floor after exclaiming " No"...

I guess they did not want the scene to be to strong.
There's a lot of softening harsh scenes from the comic in this series.

The cat episode in the show is missing the key line 'it will never happen' after the comment about trying to get a 1000 cats to do anything at the same time. It seems in the comic that the old cat does not have much hope at this point, which tone is not in the show.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I have zero knowledge of the source material aside from what I read in this thread, and I found myself yelling at the TV:

"Why does the son have to be gay, Netflix? Why?"
"Why are the majority of the characters black? Why are all the good characters black?"
"Oh of course Constantine is gender swapped and is gay/bi. Why is it shoved into our face so obviously though!?"

Aside from the obvious, the mood and lore of the show is pretty cool and I have enjoyed it a lot so far.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have zero knowledge of the source material aside from what I read in this thread, and I found myself yelling at the TV:

"Why does the son have to be gay, Netflix? Why?"
"Why are the majority of the characters black? Why are all the good characters black?"
"Oh of course Constantine is gender swapped and is gay/bi. Why is it shoved into our face so obviously though!?"

Aside from the obvious, the mood and lore of the show is pretty cool and I have enjoyed it a lot so far.
The son was gay in the comics.
The majority of the good characters were race and/or gender swapped because reasons.
The Constantine stuff was almost exactly as it was in the comics except they weren't allowed to use John Constantine due to the JJ Abrams project at the time so they just gender swapped him.

Gaiman was always a liberal progressive, and at the 90s most of the stuff we are wading through now was just beginning to rear its head. Trannies and all that bullshit. White man bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well I am just in the middle of the bonus episode, and I have to say I really enjoyed the series in spite of the obvious discussion points. There is a void of more serious shows with a darker hue (pun intended) and angst and it was quite refreshing.

I will throw in my support to other's comments - Morphius was incredibly well cast, as was the Corinthian. Interestingly enough, the guy playing the Corinthian was most recently in the new autism beats the Predator movie, and I THINK has been typecast as your typical meathead dude - but he was brilliant as the Corinthian, smooth and charismatic.

I actually thought Rose was decent also, as was Death and Desire.

Casting Patton Oswalt as the raven was retarded, his whiny, American voice was discordant to say the least. And Lucifer was an abomination lol.

I think the most jarring stupidity in the movie was the kid seeing three people savagely stabbing someone and then 5 minutes later he is completely unaffected, casually laying in bed talking to one of those people he saw doing the dirty. And it was never mentioned again, and there was zero trauma. That being said, he also had zero trauma from being basically locked in a basement for years and just smiled at everything!

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I never got why Patton Oswald was so popular. All the name-recognition casting was, as mentioned, mediocre at best. Brienne really didn’t have much to work with in terms of dialogue but she was pretty awful. I guess the idea of Lucifer as lame-ass middle manager checks out but definitely the worst/least interesting incarnation of the character I’ve ever seen. Would’ve rather they went harder with the Constantine crossover and we got one more Peter Stromare outing, if they wanted to mash up.

That said I loved this shit. There’s not a lot of people who are pulling off fantasy concepts this well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Finally got S1 finished up. Race swapping was only mildly glaring because I know the source material so well. They stayed extremely close to the source material, so I really enjoyed it over all. Looking forward to how they handle the next story arc.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to finishing this. I enjoyed it, and will watch more if they make more.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally got around to finishing this. I enjoyed it, and will watch more if they make more.

Yeah, I enjoyed it for the most part. Very much liked the casting of Morpheus.

Some episodes I skipped through like the whole chunks of dream sequences with the gay landlord, Ken and Barbie, etc.

As what was probably a throw away episode I thought the guy from the middle ages he meets every 100 years was a great episode.

Definitely want to see more.

Also, while I struggled with the whole gender swap on Constantine they did a good job on her nightmare. I just started reading Hellblazer again from the very start and the club name, location, etc and the fate of the kid were all spot on with those very early stories.

spronk

FPS noob

i'm kinda surprised it kinda dropped off viewing charts after week 3 or 4. still, looking forward to it.

if you haven't read them i'd recommend the comics, I went on a tear and downloaded all 11 TPBs and its thousands of pages but pretty easy to read over a few weeks. Definitely a lot of cool, weird stuff and they do go into much deeper dives on how "the system" works which are the comics I found really interesting.

I bought a few volumes of the hardcover TPBs and will be giving them out as xmas gifts, I think for the artsy kids in the right age range it could be really neat

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

i'm kinda surprised it kinda dropped off viewing charts after week 3 or 4. still, looking forward to it.

if you haven't read them i'd recommend the comics, I went on a tear and downloaded all 11 TPBs and its thousands of pages but pretty easy to read over a few weeks. Definitely a lot of cool, weird stuff and they do go into much deeper dives on how "the system" works which are the comics I found really interesting.

I bought a few volumes of the hardcover TPBs and will be giving them out as xmas gifts, I think for the artsy kids in the right age range it could be really neat

I'm still gorging on Hellblazer but will definitely pick this up afterwards. It's been decades since I read it.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, login barrier.

He is a bestselling British fantasy writer, she is an American singer and performance artist, and they have enjoyed a rock-star open marriage to match. But Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer are now getting divorced after 11 years.

Their announcement brings to a close a union that the couple celebrated as an example of how to remain deeply committed with “slutty” compassion, before almost falling apart during the lockdown.

They have made the “difficult decision” to go separate ways but have vowed to remain in each other’s lives as co-parents to bring up “our wonderful son in a loving and compassionate environment”.

Gaiman, 61, the author of books such as Good Omens, a collaboration with Terry Pratchett, and Anansi Boys and comics including the Sandman series, and Palmer, 46, half of the punk cabaret duo the Dresden Dolls, married in 2011, a year after confirming their engagement.

Palmer was Gaiman’s second wife after his marriage to Mary McGrath, with whom he had three children, Mike, Holly and Maddy. They grew estranged and divorced in 2008.

“Amanda,” he said, “is full of grand gestures. She throws surprise parties; she dresses up as living statues in public for a birthday surprise; she sprang a fake wedding ceremony on the streets of New Orleans for us . . . I got together with her because I couldn’t ever imagine being bored.”
He added: “Now that we’re fairly settled, there is nothing humdrum in our domestic set-up, for the simple reason that, with Amanda, nothing is ever hum or drum.”

Gaiman has written comics, novels and plays, and collaborated with Terry Pratchett
In 2019 Palmer told The Sunday Times how “the idea of only ever fooling around with one other person until the end of time has always been terrifying to me, and with Neil too, I think.
“You have to remember that he had just come out of a 20-year marriage, so he was still tasting absolute freedom when I came along.”

She added: “There are lots of varieties of open relationships . . . we’re not interested in having big, multiple relationships; we’re just slutty, but compassionately so.”
When the couple’s son, Anthony “Ash” Gaiman, was aged four, Palmer said: “I’ve requested that we shut down our open marriage for the time being to focus on family life.”
The following year, however, she posted a heartfelt blog entitled “Where’s Neil?”, after he left her and their son in New Zealand during lockdown to travel to the Isle of Skye.
“I’m heartbroken, I really am profoundly struggling and I need to call my community to me like never before,” she wrote."

“I am strapped for time and currently flailing and trying to keep the kid OK. It’s been six weeks since he saw a child his own age . . . I’ve never been in a weirder, harder struggle.”

A few days later, Gaiman posted from Skye: “I’m half a world away from Amanda and Ash, and missing both of them a lot . . . Amanda and I had found ourselves in a rough place immediately before I left. (My fault, I’m afraid, I’d hurt her feelings very badly and . . . we agreed that we needed to give each other some space.)” He was subsequently spoken to by Police Scotland over lockdown rules.

Nine months later the family were reunited. Palmer said Gaiman had spent the time applying for an exemption to return on compassionate grounds and waiting for a place in the hotel quarantine queue.

“When Ash saw him, he sort of couldn’t believe it,” she wrote. “Neil stood there smiling in the sand and Ash was speechless for a moment, then he turned around and buried his little head in my chest . . . then he bulleted into Neil’s chest and held on to him like a barnacle for about a solid minute. There were lots of happy tears.”

Friends and wellwishers posted their support for the couple on social media. James Moran, a writer for Doctor Who, for which Gaiman has written episodes, said: “Very sorry to hear this, and hope you all find the space to get through it. Big cuddles to you all.”