Goatface

blah, apparently he deleted this shortly after posting
1706561572633.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was able to find a matched set of Martha Wells that also included the Compulsory broadside. Never seen one of these before and it is actually cool. Would like to make a nice frame for it and get it hung up. Redacted my # but it is matched with Murderbot Diaries and Network Effect.

After listening to the first four audiobook stories I'm kind of gung ho about the series.

1707170276912.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I didn’t realize Anathem was a bit controversial before picking it up, but after reading it I listened to a couple of reviews to see what others thought - which is kind of backwards I guess but something I like to do in case I miss something big.

Apparently several find it slow, unnecessarily complex, and just not that good. I am grateful for the recommendation and enjoyed it, but I could appreciated people feeling a bit perplexed. There’s no identifiable plot for like the first 20%, but in retrospect that helps develop the world of the avout by forcing you to explore their weird idiosyncrasies.

My gripes… Basically, I didn’t like how this massive worldwide event was going down, but somehow only this super tight crew kept having to step up and figure it out AND take care of it. It didn’t feel unbelievable while reading it, but when you step away it’s like…sure ok. 👌

cool book and appreciated it. May try expanse next.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Since I'm re-reading it at the moment, the statistical impossibility of Anathem is intentional - the Incanters / Rhetors are working overtime to drag everyone into a timeline / narrative where things work out for Arbre, and the one they end up with isn't even consistent, hence the confusion with ground support teams as to how many of them are even alive on the black mirror, and why Jad kills their radio, to give the I & R more wiggle room without the comms from the ground locking them into a timeline.

It's entirely possible I & R have actually been working on this endgame for decades, when you think about all the things that have to work out the way they do for the ending - they need the civilians to be led by someone Math-adjacent (the Warden of Heaven) to let them be okay with Maths having power again, getting an ITA on the team required that ITA (Sammann) to have a shared connection with someone on the team (Cord, which implies they needed a timeline where she was working at the machine shop, which happened years and years ago), etc. etc.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anathem is great but for sure unnecessarily complicated. Explaining it in a preamble doesn’t make it ok just to make up 100 different words for commonly used objects and terms.