The Sci-Fi Book Thread

Column_sl

shitlord
The search engine on this site sucks. I'm sure you guys have a Daemon thread on here by now. When I put the key word in, I got 0 callbacks.

Anyway got around to finishing it, I found it enjoyable although all I could think of the whole time is this guy really liked the Maximum Overdrive movie.

A lot of stuff in the book was absolutely ridiculous, but I guess that is what makes good sci fi.

I'm hoping the rest of the series doesn't go downhill. We shall see

spronk

FPS noob
don't forget the expanse is on SyFy now, theres a tv thread about it. You can watch episode 1 on VoD now, the official air date is dec 14th for episode 1. pilot was pretty damn good.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I too thought the first book was better than the second, but I still think the second is a decent book

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I dropped the second book halfway thru. I still liked how Suarez writes, so I did pick and had lots of big groans on the Influx book (and I shudder at thinking how it could ever be adapted in a movie, which it's supposed to).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Started the Three Body Problem last night and I couldn't put it down. Have no clue how much I have left (I love that feature) but it's damn good.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finished the Three Body Problem last night, and I just found it it's part 1 of 3 and the third book hasn't been translated yet. FFFFFUUUUU

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm reading a decidedly mediocre series called The Lost Fleet right now.

Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, #1) by Jack Campbell ??" Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It's not bad. It's not good. It just kind of... is. But if you're looking for some easy read filler stuff and just want books about space battles and shit, I suppose it's worth a spin.
I would like his stuff a ton, but the amount he repeats himself is fucking ridiculous and it drives me insane. I read up until it spins off into the second series before I stopped. The storylines are fine, but you could cut out half of each book and not miss anything.

Fiddler

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm trying to remember a book title and haven't had any luck. Its a sci fi book about an autistic guy who creates force field bubbles using a modified remote control he made. The bubbles can then be used to swallow up mass and then shrink down and open a pin hole in the bubble to use as a rocket. Its been years since I read it. Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?
Believe this is Jon Varley Red Thunder.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
The Dark Forest (second book of the series) delivers as well. Haven't finished it yet but it's amazing. This is the kind of stuff I want to read all the time, not The Dark Shitty Tower.

minor spoiler ahead
Loved how aliens invaded and he notices that they solved the traveling salesman problem and they're kicking our ass with optimal efficiency

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Just read Neil Stephenson's newest book Seven Eves and I recommend it. In many futuristic sci fi books, the author gives you a quick tldr as to how things got to where they are from present day Earth. It felt like Stephenson took that tldr and made it the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the book so it kinda feels like there should be a sequel(s). But that might be a because I'm a Stephenson fan.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
About halfway through the 2nd Niven Ringworld Book, Ringworld Engineers, I loved the first one but the 2nd is really a lot of the same ideas.

Has anyone read the 3rd and 4th as well as the 4 prequles? are they worth picking up or is just more of the same?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just read Neil Stephenson's newest book Seven Eves and I recommend it. In many futuristic sci fi books, the author gives you a quick tldr as to how things got to where they are from present day Earth. It felt like Stephenson took that tldr and made it the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the book so it kinda feels like there should be a sequel(s). But that might be a because I'm a Stephenson fan.
Yup just finished as well, really great read. I had a few issues with it but nothing really big. Starting on the three body problem now - it's pretty good so far. Fun reading from a totally different cultural standpoint / setting. Just from the first few paragraphs I wonder what the party thought about it being published - I wanna read into it but am going to finish the release books first so I don't accidentally spoiler myself.

Just found this on reddit, iama with the translator says:

[?]kenliuauthor 7 points 9 months ago
Thanks!
Second book coming out 7/7/2015. Third book eight months later!

So third book in a couple months if on schedule.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't read a scifi book in a few years, last things I read (that I enjoyed) were Iain M. Banks, K.S Robinson and to a lesser extent Peter F. Hamilton. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation based on that ?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Try these guys : Vernor Vinge, Frederik Pohl, Cixin Liu, Gene Wolfe, Hugh Howey, John Scalzi.