The Sci-Fi Book Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Can anyone recommend like a comedic space sci fi book or series? The serious stuff just doesn't seem to hold my interest well at all.
The first three books of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

"The Vogon ships hovered in the air in exactly the way rocks don't."

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Read those also. That and Red Shirts are literally the only Sci Fi I've read that I've enjoyed. Hitchhikers Guide is definitely one of my all time favs. I should have just posted that short list original. My apologies.

spronk

FPS noob
there really isn't much in the way of scifi comedy books, beyond hitchhikers. maybe the phule's company books by Robert Asprin, haven't really read them much so dunno. Terry Pratchett has some stuff too, Discworld and other series

i enjoyed this little anthology of short stories, some were pretty terrible but some were funny
Unidentified Funny Objects: Mike Resnick, Ken Liu, Lavie Tidhar, Jody Lynn Nye, Sergey Lukyanenko, Jennifer Pelland, Jake Kerr, Stephanie Burgis, Nathaniel Lee, Alex Shvartsman, Dixon Leavitt, Mike Jacobsen, Phil Selby: 9780988432802: Amazon.com: Books

probably suggest you look into comic books, i know there are a ton of comics and manga that bend towards humor scifi

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I think I've looked at his stuff a handful of times but never tried it. Any specific order?
There are a lot of separate stories in the same space. His first one was Revelation Space, and that starts a 5 book series. I started there. Pushing Ice is my favorite of the separate stories.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
there really isn't much in the way of scifi comedy books, beyond hitchhikers. maybe the phule's company books by Robert Asprin, haven't really read them much so dunno. Terry Pratchett has some stuff too, Discworld and other series
Well, if you're looking for scifi and something like Terry Pratchett, you really can't go wrong withthe Long Earth serieswritten by him and Stephen Baxter. It isn't as irreverent as the Discworld series, but it's definitely written with a humorous bent.

In addition to that and John Scalzi, I'd also recommendConnie Willis' time travel series. Again, it isn't as goofy and laugh-out-loud asHitchhiker's Guide(and arguably leans more towards historical fiction than pure scifi), but it definitely includes a lot of comedic situations (in particularTo Say Nothing of the Dogwhich I just read).

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or series (any medium) that centers around a sentiant space ship? I was reading some old X-factor comics with "Ship" and now have a bit of an itch to scratch.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah and Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie kind of, Although it is more focused on one individual aspect/unit of the ship AI with some flashbacks and broader references to the ship as a whole.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the Culture series, specially Use of Weapons.

Finished the Wool Omnibus / Commonwealth / Void series, and now I'm at book 2 of Revelation Space series (decent but I'm not impressed so far).

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the Culture series, specially Use of Weapons.

Finished the Wool Omnibus / Commonwealth / Void series, and now I'm at book 2 of Revelation Space series (decent but I'm not impressed so far).
How did you like Commonwealth ? I was going to read that or start the Culture series next, however I just started " a mote in gods eye" and it is pretty good so far (even thought no AI spaceship itch yet!)

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I really liked it but after reading so many Hamilton books I came to the conclusion that he has no fucking clue how to end shit. Still worth reading for the other 99%. Also, I liked Night's Dawn more than Commonwealth / Void.

As for choosing between Hamilton and Banks, flip a coin, I can't decide.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
How did you like Commonwealth ? I was going to read that or start the Culture series next, however I just started " a mote in gods eye" and it is pretty good so far (even thought no AI spaceship itch yet!)
I vote the Culture. Use of Weapons is one of the best books I've ever read. The first - by publication date - is Consider Phlebas, which is pretty good but not great. Get through that one and you're in for a feast.