The Secret World

For whatever stupid reason, I debate $15 dollar purchases like I'm buying a new house.

That being said, for a really low price, is this game worth it? Could I at least get like a weeks worth of entertainment out of it?
Totally. I think the Nightmare dungeons are a waste of time grinding through, and the PVP is at best, nothing special. But just playing through the quest grind part of the game is worth doing because there are some really good quests mixed throughout them, and good storylines, and I found just running around the world blasting shit out of stuff with guns was therapeutic and fun. Definitely worth playing, I had a really fun month. Just not much beyond that.

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
Must say, this game has (thus far) really been fun. For the $15 it has been worth it.

What are people's gripes with the game? I see talk of a lackluster end game and mediocre PvP but are there other issues as well?

What about the Funcom side? Meaning, does the game seem to have active updates or future expansions planned?

nu_11

the main gripes with the game is that it wasn't guild wars 2, paid subscription / "greedy" cash shop, combat / animation, and... not guild wars 2.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Game has little to no future. It caters to the idiots who don't like the idea of progression or end game. Instead of making new dungeons or raids, updates have mostly been single player quests and auxiliary weapons.

There's a new dungeon planned for the end of the year which would be the only new dungeon since release

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Which is funny because Guild Wars 2 is fucking awful.
Yeah, "not Guild Wars 2" would be a big mark in the positive column for me too. Still the biggest MMO disappointment of all time as far as I'm concerned.

The downside of Secret World is that there's only so much story content before it turns into a pointless and unimaginative grind. The first few updates were good additions to the story line, but I haven't gone back for any newer ones.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Sounds to me like I should enjoy the leveling for as long as I can because the end game seems to cater to a niche market.
The leveling and story are fantastic, or were when I played. As long as you manage to have a decent build you can see some awesome shit. The haunted house that you visit in a couple of different time eras, and the haunted amusement park were both fantastic.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounds to me like I should enjoy the leveling for as long as I can because the end game seems to cater to a niche market.
Yeah the game is the leveling. I treat it like a single player game that once in awhile I can play multiplayer dungeons. The story and voice acting are great, the quests can be a challenge, and to me the combat is pretty decent. Whenever I finish the single player stories and all that I have no desire to grind "hard" dungeons for gear though to make the same dungeons easier.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I do like TSW, it works as a great single player RPG, which is fortunate as there's a very thin playerbase left.

For anyone looking for a good, solid solo build, or if you're struggling with combatthis buildhas kept me going for virtually all content except lairs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I used a build similar to that for most things too. There are a few places that will still kill you, and for that I switched tohttp://unfair.co/gaming/the-secret-w...r-leech-build/instead. It's considerably slower than a CtP build, but you are practically unkillable no matter what abilities the mobs have. I used it mainly in the quarry and against the signet quests in Transylvania that involved bugs because those areas are so annoying.

It's great if you play it like a single player RPG. You can also do dungeons as often as you like while levelling. Just forget about doing them as Nightmare Mode in the high levels because it becomes pointless imo and quickly kills the fun.

I also suggest playing around with builds yourself, because it's about the only challenge you'll find in the whole game. Would be a shame to copy someone elses cookie cutter build and have nothing else to do.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Ehh, a run through all the nightmares is fun, you will probably come out with full purple gear too.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
hah they finally changed Fatal Flourish so it's not identical to Dark Potency any more. Not sure how great the new version is though.