The Sleeper - Round 2

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Because thefirst timewasn't enough... I found this gem in my email earlier today.

Greetings Norrathians

We're back!
The Sleeper server invites you to come back to Norrath and enjoy the wonders of Classic EverQuest, Kunark, and Scars of Velious. Now that the server is back in the hands of the original creators, at the beginning of 2014 we reset the server and started from a fresh slate, made many fixes, and more importantly increased the performance to speed up loading and zone times and provide weekly patches and hot fixes to issues that need immediate solving.

Legacy Items and Experience Bonuses!
Currently the server has boosted experience rate, reduced mob spawn rate, and overall reduced mob hit points (which will increase over time as the server grows), so make sure you log in and get leveling as soon as possible to take advantage of these bonuses. In addition Legacy items like the Manastone, Dark Elf Mask, Rubicite, and other well known items are dropping off their respective mobs. Hotzones are also in place, such as Crushbone and City of Mist which stack with the server wide bonus making it even easier to clear the low levels.

A message from current players:
The current player base was asked to include some messages for those of you joining or re-joining us:
Roast beef, plenty of low level groups to experience with, power leveling from higher level players in nearly every zone. A lot of old school usual suspects have already returned, and they want to help you achieve maximum awesomeness. Oh, and Crool says "Time to put your teddy to bed and play with the big dogs!"

Hope to see you soon!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Further research:

epicemu.com_sl said:
Sometimes the wayback machine just doesn't cut it, in order to get classic content you need classic data. Our development team has been dedicated to keeping track of EverQuest information since it's beginning. Be prepared to play an emulated EverQuest as close to its original content as possible thanks to our developers hard work from years ago.
So, as close to its original content as possible, but: Boosted xp, reduced mob spawn rate, reduced mob HP, hotzones...

Kegz gonna Kegz.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
God bless Kegz. If only he could channel that determination at something he was better at like sucking dicks.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Oh dear lord. This still stands out as one of the most surreal experiences I've had online. I mean, the guy gets banned from P99 and then sets out to make his own server (presumably with blackjack and hookers), spends two years on it, and launches something so utterly abject and bug-ridden that you could scarcely tell it apart from a stock PEQ repack.

He then proceeds to absolutely vomit his idiocy onto the playerbase, exposing his utter ignorance of classic Everquest and his sociopathic personality at every turn. Most bug reports are not fixed but rather met with Kegz' arguing that they aren't bugs, that's just the way things were back then. For instance, warriors were generating insane amounts of threat with their melee attacks, enough to basically have 100% infallible aggro for the entirety of every fight even with shitty non-proccing weapons. He insists that this was always the case and that warriors never relied on proccing weapons for tanking.

Meanwhile, he's aggressively banning people, locking chat channels, fucking editing people's posts on the forum in order to sound more favorable towards him, and then it all culminates in his epic turd of athreadon here. In that thread he:

1) Spams relentlessly, copy-pasting his server info on every page (complete with sweeping lies and self-glorifying claims)
2) Violently flames everyone who points out the many issues with the server
3) Gets on hilariously obvious alt accounts to sing narcissistic praises about the server and himself
4) Then accuses every critic of being the same person on alt accounts, and/or of not actually having played on the server
5) Gets rickshawed, then asks to have it brought back only to expel so much pure shit from his facehole that the thread is rickshawed for good

Once it seemed as if this was about to simmer down, P99 gets hit by a series of DDoS attacks originating from Kegz' domain. He of course denies any involvement, but drops off the radar soon afterwards and the server closes to the public.

He's by far the most insane and pathetic person I've encountered on a gaming forum. The man clearly has some form of personality disorder, which is genuinely not hyperbole. I still get a good deal of enjoyment out of his fail-ridden saga, and every few months I skim through the old Sleeper thread to chuckle at the all-encompassing insanity and incompetence that is Kegz.

This server will be dead again in two months, possibly with Kegz in some kind of institution.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn, I got that same email several days ago. I definitely remembered something negative about the Sleeper server but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. I checked the EQ thread here but I couldn't find the thread on the Sleeper (didn't realize it had been Rickshawed). Since I couldn't find anything on it I decided to try it out. Haven't gotten very far, but several bugs and inconsistencies I remember from last time seem to have been fixed. That said... I haven't gotten far. I'm pretty dubious about the long-term prospects of the server (especially in light of the above info), but I'm willing to mess around on it for a while. P99 blue is so overcrowded and all the spawns are locked down with MQ and looting rights campers (plus the economy is fucked). P99 red is... well, P99 red. If you have played on it you know the issues there.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats the population like this time around?
TLDR; 30+ actual players. If you are looking for a "truly" classic Vanilla to Velious experience you will be disappointed, but if you are just looking for a low-pressure sandbox to do Vanilla to Velious content in then the server seems like it may be good.

Full Review:

They allow up to 4 characters per player so exact numbers are hard to say. If I were to guess I would say 30ish actual concurrent players at any given time. Sometimes less, sometimes more. It seems the pop has been slowly increasing since Kegz began his effort to advertise this "re-opening." I'm still fairly low but the server still seems pretty playable. I box 4 toons and my buddy boxes 2 so we can field a full group.

So far the server is filling the spot I have wanted an emu server to fill for a while now. I'll explain what I mean: both my buddy and I were looking for a low-pressure sandbox to do a lot of shit in EQ that we didn't do originally (or that we wanted to do over again). Both of us were primarily interested in Vanilla to Velious content and the server's actual content is limited to those expansions. I have noticed a few items on vendors etc. that are from expansions beyond Velious, but (so far) it seems like server staff has managed to remove most of the significant, game-breaking post-Velious content. It's also low pressure. There is a decent exp bonus- one that seems to hit the sweet spot between too fast and too grindy. I have no desire to grind out 60 levels at P99 blue rate and the Sleeper's exp rate is faster than that, but not so fast that getting past each level becomes meaningless or that it feels too easy. It is obviously far less crowded than p99 blue and with content up to Velious I don't think waiting in the pixel line will really be an issue. While content is limited to Velious, they left in a few "convenience" features that I am digging. Maps are in, you can see buffs and buff times on pets, you get messages when buffs on other players wear off, etc. These are definitely not classic Velious era but I would rather they be in than not. Boxing is obviously allowed (up to 4 per IP) which is nice for convenience, but you lose the need for grouping that you have on P99. Again, I don't really care so much about the need for grouping since my main goal is to simply experience Velious era content with a friend. Server staff have also left in several "classic" features that were long gone by Velious (jboots drop in Naj, Rubi, Manastone).

Again, if you are looking for a pure classic Velious server this is definitely not what you want. Kegz seems to have done a pretty decent once-over for the "big stuff", but mostly the server is rife with inconsistencies and non-Velious appropriate content. On the other hand, if you are just interested in a place to log in, get some low-pressure levels with a few boxed toons, and experience Vanilla to Velious content, the server seems to fit the bill- so far.

Disclaimer: I haven't leveled a toon past 20 on this server yet, so keep that in mind.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So, what you're saying can be wrapped up in one sentence: This is essentially (still) a PEQ server with a small amount of work done to make it slightly more "Classic".

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, what you're saying can be wrapped up in one sentence: This is essentially (still) a PEQ server with a small amount of work done to make it slightly more "Classic".
I've played a lot of PEQ servers and it definitely feels different than a normal PEQ server. But it's also definitely not a true classic server. I would wrap it up by saying it's somewhere in between. You can tell what has been done required more than a "small" amount of work. But the server staff haven't put near the time and effort into all the little details and changes that the P99 staff have made to make their server classic-legit. If you get offended by anachronisms this server will just piss you off. If you are more focused on content than chronological accuracy, you will probably be ok.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol fuck that server. Played it the first time around.

Avoid that shit at ALL COSTS.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol fuck that server. Played it the first time around.

Avoid that shit at ALL COSTS.
Would love specifics before I invest more time. So far most criticism seems to be people who specifically have an issue with Kegz (which doesn't affect me) or they don't like the fact that there are some definite ways it isn't classic Velious.

Please tell me specifics if there are other good reasons to avoid it. I was hesitant to play to begin with but I can't seem to find anyone who can give me details as to why it's a waste of time. I'd rather find out now than after I have weeks invested.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Plenty of specifics in the old thread that I posted in the OP. Kegz is crazy as fuck and his efforts have been subpar at best.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
one prime example: first time around, Kegz accidentally set Lodizal's spawn timer to 12 hours. there was a lot of confusion about what the spawn timer should actually be -- lots of conflicting evidence from various classic sources. eventually Kegz decided that the spawn timer should have been longer (72 hours? i forget), and was so pissed that no one bug reported the "incorrect" timer that he deleted every single piece of loot that had dropped off of Lodizal in the two weeks where he was being killed at the 12 hour spawn timer. i think some people may have even received bans over the whole ordeal -- even though if it even was wrong it was Kegz' own damn fault.

also, the more bugs/classic inconsistencies you report, the more pissed Kegz gets at you. i can't recall if it was Reiker or Friday (one of those iksar monks) actually had his in-game title changed to "XXX the Whiner" because of all the legitimate bug reports he submitted.

if you're just looking for a classic server to be really casual on and not care too much about then you might be happy here. if you're looking for a new server to call home then stay the fuck away. seriously.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Would love specifics before I invest more time. So far most criticism seems to be people who specifically have an issue with Kegz (which doesn't affect me) or they don't like the fact that there are some definite ways it isn't classic Velious.

Please tell me specifics if there are other good reasons to avoid it. I was hesitant to play to begin with but I can't seem to find anyone who can give me details as to why it's a waste of time. I'd rather find out now than after I have weeks invested.
I'm bored on a bus so I'll indulge you. To understand the scope of this, it should be noted that Kegz = Toop, a notoriously retarded former player of P99 who was banned for showeq and vowed to make a better server that would put P99 out of business. He then embarked on two years of development, most of which I didn't pay any attention to. When I did find out, it was in the last few months of beta, and I decided to do some beta testing just to see what was up.

It was... grim. It seemed to be a stock PEQ repack with the expansions beyond Velious disabled. Some effort had been made to restore stuff like Temple of Cazic-Thule to its classic state, but for the most part, the server was absolutely inundated with bugs, unclassic features and improvised fixes that were wildly inaccurate. I had started off my beta testing sessions compiling a list of bugs, but it quickly got out of control as I would add 10+ entries per hour.

After a few days, I decided to post a trimmed-down version of that list with only the more glaring bugs. We're talking about things like every mob above level 40 having about three times as much hp as it should, just to give you an idea of the magnitude of these bugs. Pretty much every mob on the entire server had wrong loot, wrong pathing, wrong spawn cycles, or wrong stats/spells, but it wouldn't even be possible to list them all so I quickly realized I'd have to start with the most egregious errors.

Kegz' response to that post was... confusing. He seemed annoyed at being presented with bugs. During beta. In the bug report forum. He then proceeded to quote each and every entry with one of two responses: "this is fixed on the test port" or "this is working as intended." In either case, total bullshit -- once the server opened, I found that none of his supposed test port fixes were real, he'd just say that to get people to think development was progressing. He would also go into hilariously ill-informed arguments about how things weren't bugs because he remembered it being the way it was on the server.

I gave up on beta testing pretty quickly and decided to just come back to check it out at launch a couple of months later. So I did, and quite a lot of people were there for the server's opening, but the first week or two were plagued by a bizarre issue with experience gains; namely, people were getting maybe a quarter of the experience they should. It was taking people an entire day to reach level 6, for instance. You had to kill 100+ mobs to get from level 3 to 4. Kegz tried to fix this over the course of the next few days, but I think it was over a week before the exp felt anything like classic.

It was just as much of a big-riddled mess as the beta was, too. I don't think I noticed any fixes between my first attempt at testing and the server's launch, except I believe they took care of most of the instances of mobs having triple hp. Most quests didn't work, most named mobs dropped nothing, mobs had crazy pathing, one zone (I think Everfrost) would crash every fifteen minutes, and so on. It was extremely bad.

As people started to report more and more issues to the epicemu.com forum, Kegz got increasingly passive-aggresive. He would get visibly angry at the fact that people were revealing the server's problems. He even started to surreptitiously edit people's posts to make them sound less dissatisfied -- no joke, he would literally manipulate people's posts so they would seem like the poster didn't think the bugs were a big deal, and that the server was great. It was some North Korea level bullshit.

Now, during the entire development process, Kegz had had his Sleeper thread on here. Up until launch, nobody gave a flying fuck about it, and it just consisted of Kegz copy-pasting his server advertisement every month or so. He'd boast of creating an amazing, flawless server with hitherto unheard-of quality development, including a hilariously overrated "holy grail" of classic info consisting of a binder with printouts of the entire Allakhazam website anno 2002 or something. Judging by the quality of the server, he'd taken the comment sections as scientific evidence, because who doesn't know that early Allakhazam comments were the place to find indisputable truths about Everquest?

Once the server launched, however, this thread started to see some traffic. This traffic consisted mainly of an increasing number of people pointing out how unbelievably awful the server was. Kegz would try to perform damage control, but being a sufferer of at least three different personality disorders, his damage control consisted of ferociously insulting every critic, and straight up lying about them in order to discredit their complaints (he thought). Like he would claim that someone was a hacker he'd banned and now they were trolling him by shit-talking his server, or he'd insist that we were all just one guy on alt accounts.

Then mysterious posters with very low post counts would start posting stuff like "Hey Kegz ignore the trolls, your server is amazing, love you!" complete with the same wording he had been using in his own posts -- he was particularly fond of the 'rustled jimmies' gem of wit, and every fake poster would claim to be 'having a blast', those exact words, which is the same phrase he'd been using earlier. A moderator eventually put a stop to his split personality disorder, and the thread was rickshawed (the first time around).

I quit playing around this time and gave my characters to Friday so I only have second-hand information about how the server itself turned out afterwards, but as far as I remember, players left in droves until it was pretty much a ghost town. On here, he somehow got a moderater to un-rickshaw his thread, but it just picked up where it left off with people taking the piss out of his server and him having an epic meltdown. It culminated in him literally spamming the thread with copy-pasted nonsense until it got permanently rickshawed (and I think he got banned, too).

This wasn't the end, though. I can't remember in which exact order the following happened, but the server was closed to the public and became some sort of invite-only thing or something. I dunno. Also, around this time, EQMac closed and Kegz tried to get their playerbase to come to The Sleeper. I don't know how succesful this was. Then P99 was hit by a series of DDoS attacks which Rogean traced back to Kegz' domain, and although he denied any responsibility for this, he soon vanished from the public eye and - I believe - handed the server to somebody else. Now it seems to be back under his caring guidance, which can only end well.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm bored on a bus...
Thanks dude, those are basically the details I wanted. I guess it comes down to: the guy who runs the server may have MH issues and will probably be unresponsive to (at best) and potentially hostile to criticism/suggestions/bug reports from the player base. Sounds like anyone who plays here should be willing to play the server exactly as is and be willing to risk having any time investment spent on the server wasted if Kegz has a meltdown and nukes shit. That stuff about deleting Lodi loot for his mistake is probably enough to scare me off, frankly.

axeman_sl

shitlord
One of the funniest things was the fact that before he resorted to full meltdown retardation, he was trying to actually defend his server with the few things he genuinely felt he had going for him: the AC fix and the open-source nature of the project.

He felt he'd fixed AC on his server. I looked at the testing documentation and it had all been conducted on a level 11 warrior. It also seemed to have been reverse-engineered from memory by Kegz, which makes it about as likely to be correct as a meth cook trying to discover the cure for cancer. He would use this AC fix as a shield against the first waves of criticism, claiming to have bested P99 where AC used to do largely nothing (I'm pretty sure this stopped being the case long before The Sleeper launched, though).

As for the server being open-source, this was mostly a self-glorifying lie. He did post a couple of things to github, but he refused to share the actual database. Given that the server code itself was mostly stock PEQ, it was of approximately zero value, and anyone who has tried to make an emu server knows that the database is 90% of the work. It was like a baker handing homeless people the flour he'd swept off the floor at the end of the day and then running for mayor on the grounds of having single-handedly fed the poor and needy of the city.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Axeman dropping bombs in here.

Didn't people start saying you were Kegz at some point? I remember people hilariously accusing you of being some other rerolled poster who I think was Kegz...