The Stand w/ Matthew McConaughey

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
we discussed this in the stephen king books thread.

There is enough for 4 movies if you are interested in making 4 dramas, but if this is to be an exciting franchise of good vs evil you gotta take account of all the major events. First movie, superflu and ends with larry underwood escaping manhattan with cameos introducing mother abigail and flagg.

Second film people have the visions and head to flagg and abigail and then go to vegas and boulder. Third movie running those towns and the spy plots happen ending with the explosion of the committe house. 4th movie, the last stand and the journey back to boulder? I dunno seems thin to me.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, good. I thought they were remaking "Stand By Me" and was like wtf.

THE Stand. Ok, good.

I do like King Movies. I mean they're not high art or high cinema any more than his books are great literature. But they do tend to be entertaining. I think King is an American Pulp Master.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Sounds like an ambitious project like The Dark Tower movies and tv show.

"What Dark Tower movies and tv show?"

Exactly!

(it still makes me erect)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
4 movies sounds like a tad too much. 500 pages of that book could've been removed and the story would've been just as good.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've read both the initial release and the unabridged version and I honestly don't remember any of those hundreds of extra pages doing anything to the story other than slowing it down.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The 1994 TV mini series is 6 hours long and cut into 4 parts.

I am not sure why we need a remake of this and its going to suck watching it over 4 years or so.

Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, and Rob Lowe did a good job, So did Jamey Sheridan (Robert Queen in Arrow) as Flagg.

No desire for a new version over 4 years, but it might be time to download the mini series again.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i do hope this gets made for one reason. if its successful and MM is great at Flagg, they can bring him back to do dark tower and my favorite King novel, The Eyes of The Dragon. they really need to do The Talisman as well.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The 1994 TV mini series is 6 hours long and cut into 4 parts.

I am not sure why we need a remake of this and its going to suck watching it over 4 years or so.

Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, and Rob Lowe did a good job, So did Jamey Sheridan (Robert Queen in Arrow) as Flagg.

No desire for a new version over 4 years, but it might be time to download the mini series again.
I think that Stand TV series is one of the best King-to-screen adaptations there is. I mean, there is the Shining, and Carrie with its iconic blood shower, but most of the movies/shows made from King's books have been very poor to middling in quality at best. McConaFlagg though, man. That would be pretty awesome. Though I would much rather they pour this money into the Dark Tower on HBO or Netflix rather than a remake of something that really doesn't need one.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
McConaFlagg would be pretty awesome, but do you guys think they'd really place their oscar winner in a role that doesn't even do aything for the first third of the book? That's like 1 out of 4 movies being McConaughey-less (while still paying him).

EDIT: Unless, if they made Flagg the common POV narrator for the crumbling of civilization, then they could keep him and and give him some characterization by how much he enjoys all the crazy shit that happens.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think that Stand TV series is one of the best King-to-screen adaptations there is. I mean, there is the Shining, and Carrie with its iconic blood shower, but most of the movies/shows made from King's books have been very poor to middling in quality at best. McConaFlagg though, man. That would be pretty awesome. Though I would much rather they pour this money into the Dark Tower on HBO or Netflix rather than a remake of something that really doesn't need one.
wtf? seriously do you not realize how many great King adaptions there are? Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, The Dead Zone, Creepshow, Misery and Dolores Claiborne ring a bell? TV adaptions has It and Salem's lot. you need to watch that stuff.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The Walkin' Dude.

Add a 'g', then turn the 'u' into an 'a' while rearranging the order of the letters and you've got a hit on your hands.

Tropics_sl

shitlord
I could see him as Flagg. That is kind of awesome.
I agree, that is some pretty phenomenal casting right there. That role alone if acting right can go a long way to making the movie absolutely epic.

The evil side of this movie has a slew of extremely interesting characters that if cast right are all very rich parts.

If Hollywood truly commits to going A-list celebs and an A-list director and marketing and hyping the hell out of this movie they can do some pretty epic numbers with it. It easily has "Hunger Games" potential drawing power. Few directors I could think of for this to really nail it, it better not be some schlep who has done a few music videos. Someone like Fincher could own the atmosphere of the world gone by combined with the character development and supernatural side and twist them all together nicely I would imagine, if they could get him to sign on for that long of a commitment.

Still though.... I would WAY rather see them put the time and effort and money into the Dark Tower.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The guy who played Trashcan Man was perfect in the miniseries. I wonder who they can get to play that part.