The Stanley Parable (Steam)

Quircky first person exploration game,sortain the veins of Portal (remake from some old HL2 mod that I did not play personally).

Had a lot of good laughs,just don't fall for the hypeunless you could enjoy a really short game almost entirely over a funny narrator.

Also be sure to the play the Demo first, it's a different experience (takes about 30 minutes).
smile.png

8.8/10 IGNThe Stanley Parable: HD Remix - PC - IGN
9/10 GamespotThe Stanley Parable Review - GameSpot

Steam (12 bucks):Save 20% on The Stanley Parable on Steam

Szlia

I played the old mod earlier this year. I found the idea amusing, but ultimately underwhelming in its execution (and I don't mean on a technical level). The voice actor *is* really good and that's pretty funny considering the dev' e-mailed the script to an actor he found online to see if the guy was interested and the next day (or maybe even the same day?) the guy replied with the whole script recorded in a single take! Credit where credit is due: the fine British actor is Kevan Brighting.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked the original as a departure from the norm in gaming. But unless the content was massively expanded, $15 feels high. Perhaps this will be a sale pick-up.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
watch a let's play.

I do appreciate the content, but it takes so little time (30ish min) to experience all of the endings and possibilities that it really seems a stretch to go beyond $5

Szlia

Watching a let's play is a really silly idea though since the whole point is the confrontation between narration and interactivity. Better just play the old mod for free.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
1) Doesn't surprise me Carolyn Petit gave this the score she did. She is a worthless reviewer overall.
2) Game is way too short and not enough value to deem that price. I am glad it is unique, but it's worth about $2.99.

Price /value should have rated this thing at about a 5/10.

This and Gone Home are two of the worst wastes of money this year.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
/\ Petit is a horrible reviewer, but very true. I shouldn't cross the two. However, value for the dollar in games * should * be included in the review as part of the overall equation these days. Especially since we are seeing more and more 1-2 hour games cost upwards of $19.

Caliane

"experience" or "narrative" games should be clearly marked as a genre.

Some justify the cost. Portal. Braid. others... its questionable.
Seems notable, most of the successful ones, are more heavily laced with puzzles.

The "adventure game" title always made little sense, and was conflated with action rpgs for a while. Zelda was also called an adventure game back in the day. and made more sense.

Haven't played "the walking dead" yet. but I have also heard people talking about how the modern adventure game has evolved into that kind of game, vs the old school monkey island, etc. which is an unquestionably dying genre.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I just read that Petit review. I can not stand reviews like this. They try so hard to sound so profound and deep but just end up coming across as utterly obnoxious.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I just read that Petit review. I can not stand reviews like this. They try so hard to sound so profound and deep but just end up coming across as utterly obnoxious.
You should read her Gone Home review and then her GTA 5 review after that, before you work out. You'll be able to throw up a couple extra plates + 50 reps.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You should read her Gone Home review and then her GTA 5 review after that, before you work out. You'll be able to throw up a couple extra plates + 50 reps.
Absolutely terrible. She is a shining example of why females shouldn't be allowed to review games.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Absolutely terrible. She is a shining example of why females shouldn't be allowed to review games.
I don't know if I would gothatfar. Ha
smile.png
I would say, since it looks like she is a Tranny, that if they can't separate their own personal story away from reviewing games they should write editorials. Gone home gets a 9.5/10 for about 2 hours of roaming around a house for 20 bucks because it tells the story of a lesbian lost teen. GTA 5 gets a lower score because it rips on women, race, whatever. And this game.... Wtf.

So yeah. When people cannot distinguish beteween objective play mechanics, it's time to get out of reviewing and objective scoring, and talk about how games make you feel instead.

As of right now any review she writes I skip over and go to Meta Critic.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Sure I may have been a bit sensationalistic :p but women are far far more likely to write reviews like that than any man is. Unless they're gay. They get far too emotionally involved and end up posting reviews like that garbage. Reviews like that do not at all help me judge a game. Just tell me if the story makes sense ("good" is too subjective), if the gameplay is good or garbage, and then sure go ahead and throw in a few intangibles that may add to the game/genre. That's all I want in a review.

Caliane

But the game in question is barely a game. you can't possibly review the gameplay of it. there is none. the gameplay is "walk around."

It is entirely a narrative experience. a metajoke on choice in games.

And yes, you can save a buck and just watch the lets plays. Particularly for a game which as I just stated, is basically all about you just experiencing it. The physical action of playing is almost meaningless.
That said for this one, to fully grasp the joke, you do need to play it. Particularly if someone doesnt spoil it on you, and you hadn't actually considered this element of game design previously.

Like back when I found the "cards of fate", "fateless one" or whatever they called it in Amalur, hilarious. and wondered if they weren't some kindof meta joke. How in a video game you can make the protagonist "free from the chain of destiny".