The Surge (Souls like) from makers of Lords of Fallen.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played The Surge on PS4 (free from PS+). The load times could be a bit long, so I'm thinkin about grabbing Surge 2 on Steam. Thoughts? :D

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure only crazy people and masochists play a game like The Surge at 4K30 when there's a 1080p60 option instead.

Hopefully "fluid" 60 fps is as good as the previous game was at staying locked to 60 nearly all the time, and not something like Borderlands 3's performance mode which constantly bounces between 40-50 fps and only hits 60 if you're looking at the ground or something else equally undemanding.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Well... I just watched the last boss fight and ending, no one in the chat or the streamer knew it was the final boss fight but whatever. Apparantly the game is not very long and can be beaten in under 20 hours on a first playthrough. Sitting under 3/5 on several reviews I have read. Damned shame, glad I didn't get Surge 2 right away, will wait until it gets patch and comes down in price.

Vorph

Yeah, the game having pretty bad performance issues when the first Surge ran almost flawlessly on all platforms is a big disappointment.

I still like ACG, but I think he needs to start being more critical in his reviews. Way too many "buys" lately on stuff that has serious flaws (and the one notable "rent/wait for sale" was on Remnant which seemed completely unfair when viewed alongside his other reviews this summer).

Dodsengel

Trakanon Raider
I really like it so far, couple hours in so nothing substantial but I don't regret buying it. I did not really care for the original Surge but I did like Lords of the Fallen for the most part for what that's worth.

Game feels complex in terms of gear/mods, targeting specific limbs feels like a fresh alternative to the standard lock and swing method. Looking forward to continuing it and seeing how it holds up.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I liked the original Surge. Played through it at least twice. Waiting to see some more random player reviews and get free time from Classic.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, the game having pretty bad performance issues when the first Surge ran almost flawlessly on all platforms is a big disappointment.

I still like ACG, but I think he needs to start being more critical in his reviews. Way too many "buys" lately on stuff that has serious flaws (and the one notable "rent/wait for sale" was on Remnant which seemed completely unfair when viewed alongside his other reviews this summer).
I think if you listen to his whole reviews, section by section, you should be able to make your own "buy/wait for sale/rent/never touch" evaluation. Judging him solely on that final last statement kind of defeats the purpose of his whole review process. He is the best in the business right now.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Beat the first game and it felt meh, Surge 2 just feels better in all ways. Except for the frame drops during combat, good news it is usually during a dismemberment kill so it hasn’t killed my fun.

If you all about the combat and love labyrinth style maps that fold in on each other in creative ways you will enjoy this game.

Only about four hours in for what that is worth.

Vorph

Yeah, he's still the only reviewer I bother to watch for nearly every game before I buy it. I just find myself surprised at the final "score" more and more lately when it doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the video.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he's still the only reviewer I bother to watch for nearly every game before I buy it. I just find myself surprised at the final "score" more and more lately when it doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the video.
Could be attributed to poor editing and our proclivity to emphasize the negative over the positive. But when he gets to the end and considers the experience as a whole, he decides that the sum of its parts overcomes the moment to moment insufficiencies.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Patch fixed all slow down/frame rate issues I was having, game is a solid 8/10 so far. Minor boss spoilers:
Delver, jesus christ... Took me like 15 attempts and when the fight takes almost 20 minutes each time that is a bit much.

italica

Trakanon Raider
That boss was one of the more fun ones I think. Unless you're just adamantly against using the parry system in which case it's a giant piece of crap (my first few tries I was reluctant to stay close to a boss that moved that fast). Took a lot of tries, but once you got the parrying down he's a piece of cake. That kill probably felt the best of all the bosses.

I beat the game over the weekend, started NG+... was VERY confused at first ... there's a short playable section before you wake up at the prison at the very start of the game in NG+. Also an endgame enemy type can randomly show up in place of normal enemies sometimes. Often enough that NG+ feels a little better than it did in the first game.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still slowly making my was through the first one, so happy I'll be playing a patched up version down the road.