The Surge

spronk

FPS noob
Looks like this one is going under the radar for everyone.

Release May 16th, launch trailer:

Out next tuesday for PC, PS4, xbox one. A few people have been streaming it. One hour giant bomb quick look, pretty funny

Everyone keeps saying its "sci fi Dark Souls". I believe its by the devs who made Lords of the Fallen, which was Dark Souls... in a fantasy setting. But not as good.

People are saying so far this is pretty good, combat not quite as good as Dark Souls and maybe things are a bit floaty but great visuals.

I'm kinda burned out on games at the moment and have zero desire to play anything Dark Souls-ish (I'm more on the "let me auto pilot in mario kart mode" ez mode right now) so not getting it at launch. Typical pre order bonuses of crap you probably won't use very long.

Some guy made an hour long video comparison of Dark Souls vs The Surge, with over 25 hours of game play factored in. Yeah, i'm not watching that

spronk

FPS noob
Some images from stream. My gut feeling is this is gonna go the same way of Lord of the Fallen and Prey, some interest and positive comments but doesn't really pierce the gaming zeitgest, especially with E3 coming up in 3 weeks

giphy.gif

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I watched one of the Dark Souls comparison videos where the dude talked about how every trash mob could easily kill you and the simplest solution is just to run past all of them. Then he said there also weren't many bosses and they weren't really anything special. The weird thing was that he was talking about the game in a positive way. It all sounded like poor design to me, especially once I realized it was by the Lords of the Fallen devs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I watched Total Biscuits video on this today and he was giving it decent praise after shitting all over Lords of the Fallen. He also mentioned he only ran into one or so bosses in his few hours of playing but loved the rest of the game.

The thing that personally intrigues me is the fact you can like sever off limbs of enemies to get even more resources but it's far riskier. In a punishing souls-like game having risky plays for great reward is right up my alley.

I have 50$ in my steam account still I might just check it out, but I'm going to wait til tuesday to see some more reviews to see how it's running for everyone. I think I'll enjoy the game but the last 4 games I bought were so shit in terms of optimization that I've refunded all of them. Seems to be a trend.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
After watching most of Cohh's play through Im gonna be holding off for now. Definitely going to have to pick it up down the road at some point

Delly

Trakanon Raider
After watching most of Cohh's play through Im gonna be holding off for now. Definitely going to have to pick it up down the road at some point

Same here. Looks pretty good but its just missing something to make it excellent. The amount of backtracking seems excessive. Also NG+ didn't seem to add anything except +harder and crafting mats for +gooder. DLC could really make it come together.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To me the game lacks an atmosphere to it like the Souls games have. Heck even Lords of the Fallen has it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, picked it up. Died a bunch to really dumb shit because I still haven't figured out the combat como(?) system. Got to my first boss and got smashed. Went to bed.

I don't understand the number on overcharging items around the world.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah, there's a 55 after the first door in the game next to a couple of 10 req story unlocks. So it was really confusing.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
You can backtrack and get those doors. I assume you can reacquire them in NG+ as well. Cohh opened one in NG+, but I don't believe he opened it in his first playthrough.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished the game for the second time. Overall was a decent game. Ran into one game-breaking bug, but thankfully the devs have a beta patch you can apply via Steam

Main points:

• Graphics: Great optimization. Ran steady 60fps on 3440x1440p max settings (no super-sampling). Ran into a few instances of dropped frames, but it was real quick. Game would crash occasionally and dump memory completely, locking video rendering up completely, but I could still hear myself dodging, swinging, or enemies smashing my face in. I hear it's just as good on consoles, and for those w/ ps4 pro, it runs at a steady 30fps for quality, and steady 60fps for performance (source was Digital Foundry).
  • Combat is fun and rewarding. Unique and 'chunky', which is a good thing, but if you played lords of the fallen, you can tell it came from the same team. The energy system adds a fun meta, and the limb system is fun/satisfying. Animation cancelling was the only thing that I wish was in it. Some animations lock you in and typically ends up w/ you dying. Guess it's conscious design, but still could be annoying. Overall combat wasn't as refined as souls but much improved over LotF. The alternate versions of killing bosses is a nice option, but w/ only 5 bosses, just isn't enough.
  • Difficulty: Comparing this to the most recent Darksouls game - I'd say this was by far harder. I didn't skip trash though. I know a lot of people are doing that, and I have to ask why are you even playing at that point? If you're skipping, it's almost like a 3d platformer, where you're just dodging 'environmental' hazards a la trash packs. It's hard to compare to DS1 because for me (and most) it was the first, and as such I don't feel its a fair comparison. Of course you're going to remember DS1 being the hardest game ever made. A more direct comparison in terms, due to combat speed, animations, etc., would be Bloodborne, to which I'd say this is still harder, assuming you're fighting trash. However, BB's expansion still takes the cake for the most challenging content (IMO). Bosses are mostly a joke in the Surge though.
  • Weapons: There are 5 different weapon types. I stuck to 2h and staves.However they're all good and satisfying. Every single type is viable for any situation. This is one thing I think they did well. They all look cool and there were quite a few weapons in the game considering its length
  • Level design: I was impressed w/ the level design for the 2nd, 4th and 5th levels. The 1st and 3rd levels felt extremely short & small. But for 2, 4 and 5, If you were to reskin it in a souls world, w/ sprawling landscapes and cathedrals it would be just as good. I was constantly finding new places, and going back opened up some interesting stuff.
    For instance, after getting your security rig and discovering the board is all dead, you can go back to R&D open one of the security doors, overcharge the conduit , which queues the speaker system to say that all exhibition doors are now open. If you were to just ignore what the speaker system says and carry on, you'd miss out on finding one of the better staves in the game
  • Story: Meh. I've beaten twice. Still don't really know what's going on. Can't expect it to have Miazaki level of amazingness. They tried, by making things real ambiguous, and filling in with audio logs. Maybe I just don't critically think about the stuff enough. Let me put it another way. In Souls/Bloodborne, the environments and lore are what kept me pushing forward. Looking at the scenery for insight, or inspecting every item's text, which kept me Always wanting to explore further. The combat and shortcuts is what kept me moving forward in Surge.
  • Length: Here's where I was most disappointed. I put in roughly 45 hours, but that was over multiple playthroughs. Just when I thought the game was starting to ramp up, it ended. Was a total of 5 levels and 5 bosses. Just not long enough for 60$. I'm a slightly above average Soulsborune player and this took me 20hours. I'm sure it was 10hours for some. I feel the length of the game had more to do w/ some annoying trash packs, and dumb one-shots, than it did actual content. For 60$ it just wasn't meaty enough.
Verdict: if you love soulsborne games, and aren't expecting it to rival either of those series, I'd pick it up now. It's solid enough. However, if you're new to the genre, or just want a distraction, I'd wait til it's on sale around $30

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, I'm getting lost on the 2nd area and am a bit stuck. So clearly I'm not a great player for this type of game.

Evernothing

What is this orange icon in the top left?

2017-05-24 12_21_13-(4) The Surge_ Quick Look - YouTube.png

EDIT: Never mind, I see that is the Set Bonus

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The level design repetition is terrible, making it hard to enjoy getting my ass kicked.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll pick this up on a Steam sale when it's 10 bucks. Is this on PC?

Evernothing

Yes it is. It plays very well with Keyboard & Mouse as well. PC port is done well, 60FPS at max setting with GTX970. Very little if any frame dropping.

• 1Solidarity

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I don't know how to do the blocking that requires right stick movement on the PC though. My Xbox controller has a sticky key and I can't be fucked to take it apart and clean it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Still not played it much, but the game apparently has a lot of new items/armor/weapons in NG+ and onwards. Max item level is 20, while only going to 5 the first time you play.

I enjoy it, but my least favourite system is the weapon proficiency that punishes you for experimenting with new weapons.