The Survivor (2022)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Survivor (2022)

Tagline: Some fight to win. He fought to live.

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Barry Levinson

Cast: Ben Foster, Vicky Krieps, Billy Magnussen, Peter Sarsgaard, John Leguizamo, Danny DeVito, Dar Zuzovsky, Saro Emirze, Zachary Golinger

Release: 2022-04-07

Runtime: 129

Plot: Harry Haft is a boxer who fought fellow prisoners in the concentration camps to survive. Haunted by the memories and his guilt, he attempts to use high-profile fights against boxing legends like Rocky Marciano as a way to find his first love again.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie popped up on HBO. Other than a solid performance by Ben Foster, there isn't much here.

It is based on a true story, but it just feels like dramatic liberties are taken throughout. At 2 hours & 9 minutes, it feels too long. There are repeated timeline jumps from the 40's, to the 50's, to the early 60's... it all just gets a bit exhausting after awhile. It is a holocaust movie, it is a boxing movie, and it is a movie about finding peace in a life that has been filled with nothing but maliciousness.

Then there is this little snippet from his Wiki page: "Haft managed to escape from one such march in April 1945. On the run, he killed a bathing German soldier and donned his uniform. During the remaining weeks until the end of the war, he moved from village to village. At one point he killed two elderly people who harbored him on their farm because he feared they had discovered he was not a German soldier and would turn him in to authorities." And you start to realize... maybe this isn't the best person to be telling holocaust survivor stories about...

I get that they are just telling this guy's story, but Hollywood has already told far better WW2 movies, Holocaust movies, and Boxing movies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't judge a guy too harshly who had to go through the shit he had to endure.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just watched this too and basically felt the same. Foster was so damn good and wouldn’t be shocked if he gets a nomination. It does start to drag pretty hard after 2 hours. It was still a good movie though and would recommend it. I never heard of this guy and it’s a pretty crazy life story.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database