The Talos Principle 2

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Reveal trailer:

I mentioned the first trailer in the general gaming thread, but I just noticed that they posted a second trailer, although it's a month old at this point.

For those of you who have not played the original, you really owe it to yourselves to; it's in my top 5 of all time.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Szlia

Not only the first game had a lot of cool puzzles, the scenario in it and the DLC was some very neat sci-fi. They outsourced the writing for the first game, but they commissioned the same guys for the sequel so we can legitimately be optimistic!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just poopsocked the first one yesterday and beat it (did not get all stars) and it was amazing. Onto the DLC!

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I just poopsocked the first one yesterday and beat it (did not get all stars) and it was amazing. Onto the DLC!

Enjoy! Gehenna is a lot harder (many of the standard difficulty puzzles aren't as A-->B-->C linear as vanilla.)

I think it would be interesting if they did some kind of Golden Sun save import feature where TP2
considers if you rescued Milton and/or the Uriel/Admin choice.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

TL;DR Highlights:
  • There still is a sort of central "hub", but the areas are bigger and lend themselves more to the metapuzzles and exploration for people that want to pursue that
  • You do not need to complete every "story" difficulty puzzle to get the main ending (like you needed every red sigil to get Free Will in the original)
  • Difficulty will vary throughout the game instead of a gradual ramp like the original because they felt people got "burned out" with the hardest red sigils and the Tower puzzles.
  • Record/replay mechanic is gone, but there will be a mechanic that lets you reload your consciousness into other bodies (sounds like The Swapper on first blush)
  • They have tried to be impartial with the philosophies portrayed (conscious decision to "not force an opinion on the player" per the female writer)
  • Game will be "emotional" per the male writer; female writer notes that they wanted the game to be "hopeful" because there are a lot of "dystopian narratives in science fiction" and they want to counteract those
  • Same musician doing the second game; "guest" appearance by the musician who did Risk of Rain
  • Voice recording only completed about 10 days ago (as of the date of this post)

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many devs from the serious Sam days worked on these games? It’s quite the genre shift 😂

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Game now has a confirmed release date - 11/2. $30; $27 if preordered.

Trailer 3:

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Demo is out now on Steam!

Untitled.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Out today. Launch trailer:

I may stream on Discord after work for those who are interested.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Having a blast so far; been binging. I'm about halfway through.

Spoiler-free general flow:
  • Each area contains 8 numbered "main" puzzles, 2 "Lost Puzzles", 1 "Gold Gate" puzzle, a "Secret Lab," and Stars like the first game.
    • Main puzzles unlock keys that power a bridge puzzle leading to the area's main tower once you collect 8. Accessing main towers progresses the story.
    • Secret Labs contain schematics that unlock new areas (so also necessary for story progression).
    • "Lost Puzzles" are unnumbered and sometimes but not always harder than the numbered puzzles. Solving the Lost Puzzles can either be used to:
      • bypass numbered puzzles that you can't figure out (they count towards the total of 8)
      • grant progress towards unlocking the optional gold gate puzzles (any "extra credit" for solving beyond 8 in an area spills over towards unlocking the gold gates)
    • Can't comment on the Gold Gate puzzles, because it seems like you need to do all or nearly all of the Lost Puzzles first
    • Stars are now acquired from monuments; all are metapuzzles like the first game. 3 basic varieties:
      • "Jailbreak" a laser from inside one of the puzzles and direct it over to one of the monuments (probably the variety most similar to Talos 1)
      • Follow this cryptic treasure map and flip a switch
      • Find a "Sprite" and race it back to the monument
Some of the new tools:
  • RGB Shifter - There are now three varieties of laser (red, blue, and green, not just red and blow); the RGB Shifter will suck up two colors of laser and output the third (feeding it red and blue gives green, for example)
  • Inverter - Switches red lasers to blue and blue to red; no effect on green lasers
  • Accumulator - My favorite, basically acts as a capacitor for a specific kind of laser. In other words, once you expose it to a specific kind of laser, it becomes a portable node that you can hook up Reflectors, RGB Shifters, and Inverters to
  • Digger - lets you make holes in certain kinds of walls; holes are big enough to pass equipment through but NOT big enough to pass through yourself
  • Record from the first game has been replaced by...basically spare bodies. If you are within line of sight of one of your spare bodies, you can transfer your consciousness to that body. It feels way more natural than Record does, so no complaints.

The way they spread the difficulty out is by introducing one new tool per area. Puzzle 1 basically just demonstrates how the tool works, and the difficulty generally ramps up through puzzle 8 in each area.

Hint system in the first game has been replaced by "Prometheus Sparks," which let you skip a puzzle entirely. They basically slot into a puzzle and mark it as complete, but they do not show you how to solve the puzzle. They can be removed from a puzzle and reused if you decide you want to try to solve it and get credit the "legitimate" way.

Areas are beautiful, towers are huge (picture of the one from the 4th area below; they are all totally different looking). There are some complaints that the areas are too big, but it's been fine for me, because it feels to me like the devs were intentionally going for an awe factor.

General story thrust from a high level (bear in mind I am only on Act 2): Radical Enlightenment vs. Religious Pessimism vs. Solipsism. Writers obviously favor the former, but they've tried very hard to give every one of the philosophies a fair shake (one of your team members is very much in support of the first, and another one of your team members is very much in support of the second, but they are otherwise best friends.)

image_2023-11-04_20-55-20.jpg

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This game feels odd on PS5, but I’m not quite sure how. Maybe it is an odd FOV, slight hitching or inconsistent frame time? Something just makes it not feel smooth and almost distracting. It really doesn’t feel next gen, at least the first area. Not judging it based on the tutorial area, but do hope it gets better.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I've heard that a lot of PC people had hitching as well (there was supposedly a pretty bad issue with DLSS Frame Generation), but it's been solid for me on a 5800X3D/RTX 3080, averaging around 60-70 FPS at 1440p with DLAA on. A lot of people supposedly blaming UE5, though I can't comment on how true that is.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Szlia

Very nice follow up to the original game. It finds a clever way to prolong its odd brand of post-humanity philosophical sci-fi story. I found it a little bit less fascinating than the first game on that front. Both stories, from the point of view of the protagonist, are about trying to understand wtf is going on and I feel the rabbit hole was deeper and more surprising in the first game. I also wonder if it still hits or totally misses if you play Talos 2 first. Still, better than 99% of what passes as stories in video games.

On the puzzle front, it's a pretty fun game but somewhat on the easy side (disclaimer: I am pretty good at puzzle games). It's not an issue per se, as many puzzles, while not that hard, are elegant in their solution, so they remain satisfying and enjoyable. Out of the 150ish puzzles (counting all types), there is only a handful that are dubious (softlock potential or cheesable or tedious or finnicky). The worst one for me: I had to check a spoiler for one of the environmental puzzle because it was of the "find an item that can be anywhere on the gigantic map" variety... there was somewhat of a hint, but the hint itself was extremely easy to miss and you basically had one shot to notice it.

The structure is a tad too mechanical for my taste. I kept expecting for the formula to be subverted at some point, but no (well... there is a slight deviation with heavy narrative consequences, but that's about it). All 12 areas are structured similarly, so even if the scenery is wildly different and the gimmick of the set of puzzles changes, there is no real feeling of exploring the unknown.

It's not a super impressive game technically speaking (to each their pet peeve, for me the thing that bothered me a little was the canned animations during the npc conversations), but it does the job and it's more about the architecture and the scale of things than about pushing pixels and polygons.

The DLC for the first game was great. I hope there will be a DLC for this one too and I'll be there for it!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Very nice follow up to the original game. It finds a clever way to prolong its odd brand of post-humanity philosophical sci-fi story. I found it a little bit less fascinating than the first game on that front. Both stories, from the point of view of the protagonist, are about trying to understand wtf is going on and I feel the rabbit hole was deeper and more surprising in the first game. I also wonder if it still hits or totally misses if you play Talos 2 first. Still, better than 99% of what passes as stories in video games.

On the puzzle front, it's a pretty fun game but somewhat on the easy side (disclaimer: I am pretty good at puzzle games). It's not an issue per se, as many puzzles, while not that hard, are elegant in their solution, so they remain satisfying and enjoyable. Out of the 150ish puzzles (counting all types), there is only a handful that are dubious (softlock potential or cheesable or tedious or finnicky). The worst one for me: I had to check a spoiler for one of the environmental puzzle because it was of the "find an item that can be anywhere on the gigantic map" variety... there was somewhat of a hint, but the hint itself was extremely easy to miss and you basically had one shot to notice it.

The structure is a tad too mechanical for my taste. I kept expecting for the formula to be subverted at some point, but no (well... there is a slight deviation with heavy narrative consequences, but that's about it). All 12 areas are structured similarly, so even if the scenery is wildly different and the gimmick of the set of puzzles changes, there is no real feeling of exploring the unknown.

It's not a super impressive game technically speaking (to each their pet peeve, for me the thing that bothered me a little was the canned animations during the npc conversations), but it does the job and it's more about the architecture and the scale of things than about pushing pixels and polygons.

The DLC for the first game was great. I hope there will be a DLC for this one too and I'll be there for it!

Dang, I never even saw the DLC for the first game. Need to check that out since I'm basically still in tutorial land of Talos 2 with no time to play at all.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Just completed 100% with Stars today (I also broke down and consulted a guide for the Pandora star in Anthropic Hills because I couldn't find that goddamn Tunneler. Agree that it feels easier overall, especially in comparison with Gehenna.

Still, beautiful game, both visually and thematically, and extremely timely.

Fuck Hollow.

Went with the Prometheus/Byron ending.

20231112214150_1.jpg

20231117193041_1.jpg