The Taste

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Seems kind of stupid...it's too focused on people. Are they ever planning on showing the actual food preparation? That's the part of cooking shows I enjoy. I don't give a shit about the judges or contestants.

Seems kind of stupid...it's too focused on people. Are they ever planning on showing the actual food preparation? That's the part of cooking shows I enjoy. I don't give a shit about the judges or contestants.
This is just phase 1 dude. The prep will come later once teams are formed.

Grumpy

Molten Core Raider
Anthony and Nigella are favorites of mine, I've never heard of the other two guys. It felt kind of slow and like they were trying too hard. Hopefully next week is better.

mortiseman

Trakanon Raider
I agree, I think it needs to be more focused on the food rather than the people. Show more in-depth what they are making!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This is just phase 1 dude. The prep will come later once teams are formed.
Yes I see now that it is a direct ripoff of The Voice.

Nonetheless, they could have showed some of the prep during these intial stages. The entire 2 hours was just a rapid fire series of 5 - 10 seconds of food being mixed together and several minutes of the judges talking. I'd have preferred the judges talking (both amongst themselves and with the contestants) be the smaller part with the food prep taking up the majority of the time.

I think it's pretty clear that even when the show moves to the next phase the focus will be on the judges/contestants and their relationships. The food is just going to be used as a backdrop for drama.

Basically, typical network TV garbage.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I hate all food competition shows now (yes, even the sacred show Chopped is terrible), will I like this? Is it really that different? McCheese is making me not want to give it a try.

Etoille tell me what to do!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Why do you hate all food competition shows "now". Did you like them before?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes. I at least used to enjoy Top Chef and some of the other ones were at least tolerable, including Chopped. I think the novelty has worn off on me unfortunately.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Top Chef is more interesting if you take a drink everytime they use an ingredient you've never heard of and then dream of motorboating dem titties of gail's

If I hate all food competition shows now (yes, even the sacred show Chopped is terrible), will I like this? Is it really that different? McCheese is making me not want to give it a try.

Etoille tell me what to do!
I'm in the 'giving it a shot' camp for right now. Ludo Lefevbre (or w/e) - the french 'dont tell me how to cook' guy from Top Chef Masters is 1 of the 4 and I had no idea who the blonde haired 4th guy was.

I was never a fan of chopped and the only good TC seasons for me (in order) were Vegas, All Stars, and Chicago. Top Chef Masters the first season was pretty decent as well.

It could suck but I'm waiting to make that judgment until I see the first ep when the 'teams' have been formed and the mentoring has started.

Grumpy

Molten Core Raider
I don't watch shows like the voice, idol etc, so I'm unsure of the format of the shows. I'm not sure how they are going to show mentoring parts of the show (things like knife skills and cooking techniques?), then the contestants cooking parts of the show (where the judges are not present), then the tasting part of the show (where the judges are tasting blind and can unknowingly vote their own team members off the show) all in the standard 1 hr format with all the damn commercials. Seems like it will be very busy.

Will be interesting to see how it all falls out next week.

heh. first guest judge is Gaby Hamilton. Bourdain's a huge fan - I also loved her memoir. Bourdain and her are really cut from the same cloth. She may have done ALMOST as much coke as he did in the 80's.