The Thing (1982)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Thing (1982)

Tagline: Man is The Warmest Place to Hide.

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Science Fiction

Director: John Carpenter

Cast: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, T. K. Carter, David Clennon, Keith David, Richard Dysart, Charles Hallahan, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur, Donald Moffat, Joel Polis, Thomas G. Waites, Norbert Weisser, Larry J. Franco, Nate Irwin, William Zeman, Adrienne Barbeau, John Carpenter, Jed

Release: 1982-06-25

Runtime: 109

Plot: Members of an American scientific research outpost in Antarctica find themselves battling a parasitic alien organism capable of perfectly imitating its victims. They soon discover that this task will be harder than they thought, as they don't know which members of the team have already been assimilated and their paranoia threatens to tear them apart.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, I watched this original, and the 2011 version "prequel" today. Enjoyed them both. Clearly the 1982 is vastly superior. If you could update the effects it looks like it could have been filmed today. Really well done. I didn't find it super creepy or scary or anything, but enjoyed it. The "thing" was truly grotesque killed my appetite.,

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So, I watched this original, and the 2011 version "prequel" today. Enjoyed them both. Clearly the 1982 is vastly superior. If you could update the effects it looks like it could have been filmed today. Really well done. I didn't find it super creepy or scary or anything, but enjoyed it. The "thing" was truly grotesque killed my appetite.,
just a minor correction because i am a dick. the 1982 The Thing is not the original film. the original is a 1951 film called The Thing From Another World, directed by Howard Hawks. Carpenter was a huge fan of Hawks. he even had it make a cameo in Halloween.
Halloween-1978-The-Thing-1951-reference.jpg

this is one of my favorite films of all time. scared the fuck out of 12 yr old me, supposedly Carpenter left it up to the VFX guys to make the monsters and he didnt bother to check on them until they were finished. he lost his shit because they went hog wild on the gore and he just wanted mild blood like his previous films like Halloween and The Fog. its the only one of his films that pushed the boundaries like that. Carpenter is a more subtle director. love this film love all the actors in it. its great because a movie like this you would toss in a dumb chick to amp up the scary. then you had some dude come in and save her and they fuck off to a happy ending. this movie its all dudes and there was fucking NOBODY to save them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
just a minor correction because i am a dick. the 1982 The Thing is not the original film. the original is a 1951 film called The Thing From Another World, directed by Howard Hawks. Carpenter was a huge fan of Hawks. he even had it make a cameo in Halloween.
Halloween-1978-The-Thing-1951-reference.jpg

this is one of my favorite films of all time. scared the fuck out of 12 yr old me, supposedly Carpenter left it up to the VFX guys to make the monsters and he didnt bother to check on them until they were finished. he lost his shit because they went hog wild on the gore and he just wanted mild blood like his previous films like Halloween and The Fog. its the only one of his films that pushed the boundaries like that. Carpenter is a more subtle director. love this film love all the actors in it. its great because a movie like this you would toss in a dumb chick to amp up the scary. then you had some dude come in and save her and they fuck off to a happy ending. this movie its all dudes and there was fucking NOBODY to save them.

That's really interesting about him not seeing the the VFX until the end! Man they sure did go all out. The two faced thing, fucking brains, the weird partially formed dog head, etc!!

Hows the 1951 version? Is it the same kind of thing?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's really interesting about him not seeing the the VFX until the end! Man they sure did go all out. The two faced thing, fucking brains, the weird partially formed dog head, etc!!

Hows the 1951 version? Is it the same kind of thing?
lol, the shit they pulled in that film has never been duplicated, i think they tried to outdo it in other films like chainsaw massacre 2 and perhaps Pet Sematary, but they couldnt top it. i saw the 1951 version a few times with my dad. its a different film. its really not scary. maybe 1950s kids were scared. its the same basic plot. scientists unearth a flying saucer. big monster attacks arctic base. they have to fight the monster, they use fire. chick in it screams a few times. dude saves her by killing it and they fuck off to a happy ending. best scene of the film.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
watching that scene again as an adult. holy shit, what the fuck were those guys thinking throwing buckets of gasoline at eachother in a close setting like that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh boy, Carpenter's The Thing is my favorite movie of all time. It doesn't even have competition, though the original Terminator, Big Trouble in Little China (also from Carpenter), and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1977 version) are the closest things to being competition for me. That's my Four Horsemen of movies. Not Mt. Rushmore, no, Four Horsemen. Three out of four are apocalyptic, one is just fun and gives no fucks about how macho it is.

This movie (1982) is noteworthy because it has no female characters in the entire movie...except for a cheating chess computer and possibly The Thing itself.

The 2011 prequel is cool for what it is and I'm glad it exists, even if the 1982 movie is way better. Every time I've ever watched the 2011 movie, I HAD to queue up the 1982 movie right afterwards. I can take the 1953 movie or leave it as a standalone movie. It doesn't have much relation to the others. Both 1953 and 1982 are retellings of the short story "Who Goes There?" from the 1930's. Very different retellings. The 1982 version is much, much closer to the short story.

As for the creature itself, I find it one of the most interesting monsters in cinema. In the 1982 version at least. In the 2011 version it's a dumb, rampaging monster (we can explain that away with "it got smarter after that and learned subtlety for the 1982 movie"). In the 1953 movie it's a plant-man. However in the 1982 version it's a completely inscrutable shape-shifting beast from hell. And also a virus, apparently. It can spread by "taking you over" either slowly via virus, or quickly by latching onto you. This thing is truly horrifying and almost unstoppable, and the fact that failure to defeat it means the entire human race is dead by it within 3 years just makes it even worse. Even if you could get away, there won't be anywhere to hide for long.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The John Carpenter film is far, far more faithul to the novella "Who Goes There" (which is very good in its own right) than The Thing From Another World. If you like John Carpenter's version give the book a try.

A few years ago someone wrote a short story from the perspective of The Thing. Horror stories retold from the perspective of the monster are almost their own little sub-genre. The one for The Thing isn't bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
watching that scene again as an adult. holy shit, what the fuck were those guys thinking throwing buckets of gasoline at eachother in a close setting like that.
It's alcohol, not gasoline. and the suicidal shit stunt workers used to do is mind boggling.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Awesome film!

One of the odder experiences I've had watching a film was during this. It happened when they're trying to kill an infected man, using a flame thrower. The head peels back away from the flame, then breaks / pulls itself off, then on the floor, the head grows spider legs and starts scuttling away. Me watching this, I said " You've got to be fuken kidding! " . . . seconds later an on screen character said the exact same thing.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The John Carpenter film is far, far more faithul to the novella "Who Goes There" (which is very good in its own right) than The Thing From Another World. If you like John Carpenter's version give the book a try.

A few years ago someone wrote a short story from the perspective of The Thing. Horror stories retold from the perspective of the monster are almost their own little sub-genre. The one for The Thing isn't bad.

Checking that out. I see right at the start that they've got Childs penned as a Thing. If there was any time where he got switched, it was while he was guarding that door.

There's a decent book of short stories inspired by Who Goes There, available on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Short Things: Tales Inspired by "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr. eBook: Foster, Alan Dean , Schweitzer, Darrell , Hoffman, Nina Kiriki , Rusch, Kristine Kathryn , Yarbro, Chelsea Quinn , Anderson, Kevin J. , Sargent, Pamela , Steele, Allen M. , Cole, Allan , Di Filippo, Paul : Kindle Store

The stories are all written by different people, and they're hit-or-miss. There's one really long, boring one. However there are several others that are just chilling, and do a great job expanding the material. There's one that takes place on a spaceship, one that takes place in ancient Greece, one that takes place on a boat, and an especially claustrophobic one that centers around a couple of guys locked in an Area 51 vault where they find Blair's journal in a hazardous materials crate and start to read through it at their own risk.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This movie is probably my 2nd right behind Aliens.

I’ve watched it over 50 times and am into reading about the film. One great discussion is about Childs (Keith David ) being the thing at the end. Childs took off and was no where to be found when the other 3 were taking on Doc Beetus.The reason people theorize this is because of two things.

One reason is Childs is not breathing out condensation when talking to Macready who is breathing out air in the sub temperature of the night. The 2nd is because Maccready hands him the bottle to take a drink and when Child’s takes a gulp Macready laughs seeing Child’s not act in revulsion. It was a Molotov.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
1982 movie is a classic. Just such an awesome movie. The 2011 movie as the whole remake/reboot/late sequel/prequel thing that was happening goes wasn't as bad as some but clearly doesn't hold up to the earlier one.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The 2011 movie changed course halfway through filming, their original intent was to use all practical effects and replicate the look and feel of the 1982 version. They gave that a try for a while and realized it was way too hard to do and they didn't have the skill of the 1982 team. Models and practical effects like that are some truly esoteric artwork and sadly the skill to do that kind of thing is being lost as the younger generation relies on pure digital effects.

I still love me some Harryhausen stop motion animation.

hqdefault.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

I love good writing from the monsters perspective. Grendel by John Gardner was great. (about the Beowulf monster)

The Thing is a masterpiece.

• 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen

It's filmed incredibly well for a horror movie of the time though. The set up for the monster's entrance is great

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's filmed incredibly well for a horror movie of the time though. The set up for the monster's entrance is great
that scene makes the movie look badass, but its one of the only scenes i remember from it. there is the other scene of the scientist trying to reason with him and the Thing just squashes him like a bug. if you notice in that fire scene when they were tracking how close The thing was, it was very close to that scene in Aliens where the motion detection is getting closer and closer .

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen

They all must be at least partially influenced by At The Mountains of Madness

Hosix

All labs matter!
The Thing is a masterpiece.

It’s one of the movies I can recall seeing for the first time as a kid. The other? Big Trouble in Little China.

My kids watched The Thing and they kind of eye rolled at the lack of mega cgi. But at the time? I remember being like “holy shit!?!?”.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database