The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021)

Genre: Drama, Thriller, War, Fantasy

Director: Joel Coen

Cast: Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand, Brendan Gleeson, Corey Hawkins, Moses Ingram, Harry Melling, Ralph Ineson, Alex Hassell, Brian Thompson, Sean Patrick Thomas, Miles Anderson, Max Baker, James Udom, Ethan Hutchison, Jacob McCarthy, Matt Helm, Scott Subiono, Lucas Barker, Nancy Daly, Robert Gilbert, Richard Short, Kathryn Hunter, T.K. Weaver, Kayden Alexander Koshelev, Wayne T. Carr, Edward Headington, Tim Oakes, Peter Janov, Madison Randolph, Phil DiGennaro

Release: 2021-12-25

Runtime: 105

Plot: Macbeth, the Thane of Glamis, receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland. Consumed by ambition and spurred to action by his wife, Macbeth murders his king and takes the throne for himself.

spronk

FPS noob

well, this is pretty fascinating from a meta-level for sooooo many things

1. its directed by Joel Coen, one half of the Coen brothers - Fargo, Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men, True Grit, Raising Arizona, on and on. I thought they did all their shit together always.

2. it stars Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand, Brendan Gleeson who have like 10 oscars between them

3. it was done by A24, who are famous for doing low budget, artist-driven, indie oscar-bait and horror movies. They've done Moonlight, Lady Bird, The VVitch, Midsommar, Farewell, and Heriditary

4. its only in theaters for a tiny window, most theaters probably won't even show it (x-mas day). It'll be on Apple TV+ January 14th

5. like chum for FOH, it black-washes MacBeth and Lady McDuff as black actors playing traditionally white characters. Denzel rarely does movies anymore either so for him to jump on this is interesting.

6. it seems to be in black and white

it looks like the kind of artsy fartsy indie shit i hate but it does look different which I do want. I know a lot of other people liked The Lighthouse and The Green Knight but i didn't like either one, and I expect this to be the same. I still am glad i watched them though, makes me realize I am a retarded pleb who loves fast and furious.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Denzel is a good actor. It has my curiosity.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

I was about to say "They just made a Macbeth movie already!", but the Macbeth with Fassbender was 6 years ago...

spronk spronk about Denzel, he has been a doing a movie a year for the past 20ish years, so I am not sure what you mean.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i guess i should say a good movie, equalizer 2 and The Little Things were both really meh. he hasn't really made a good movie in a long... long... long time. Inside Man? Man On Fire? Both coming up on 2 decades old now.

someone pointed out not a single movie in IMDBs top 250 list has denzel washington which is crazy considering Training Day or Malcolm X

• 1Picard

Burns

yeah i guess i should say a good movie, equalizer 2 and The Little Things were both really meh. he hasn't really made a good movie in a long... long... long time. Inside Man? Man On Fire? Both coming up on 2 decades old now.

someone pointed out not a single movie in IMDBs top 250 list has denzel washington which is crazy considering Training Day or Malcolm X

I like a bunch of Denzel's work that he made between (and including) the movies Glory and American Gangster, but out 161 of the IMDB top 250 that I have seen, there are only 5 or 6 movies that I would rate lower than any of Denzel's movies.

I will give this a watch, eventually, as I like 70% of Coen's work, as well as the three leading actors.

Although, Shakespeare without Kennith Branagh may be a dubious affair...

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
5. like chum for FOH, it black-washes MacBeth and Lady McDuff as black actors playing traditionally white characters. Denzel rarely does movies anymore either so for him to jump on this is interesting.
Yeah, theres been so much outrage here about this. *crickets*

Its almost like the raceswapping fetishists deliberately pretend not to hear the actual objections and just say la la la racism I cant hear you la la la.

Good lord man, literally the only reason anyone produces Shakespeare in 2021 is to do it "different". Put it in a modern era, make everyone gay, make everyone ghosts who don't realize they're ghosts, make everyone black, make them all AI, whatever. Its what you do Shakespeare for, now.

It bothers literally no one and has literally nothing to do with the wholesale replacement of every attractive redhaired female character in literature or film with a ghetto queen. But yeah, "foh is gonna get all riled up about this one!!!1"

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Its almost like the raceswapping fetishists deliberately pretend not to hear the actual objections and just say la la la racism I cant hear you la la la.

Good lord man, literally the only reason anyone produces Shakespeare in 2021 is to do it "different". Put it in a modern era, make everyone gay, make everyone ghosts who don't realize they're ghosts, make everyone black, make them all AI, whatever. Its what you do Shakespeare for, now.

It bothers literally no one and has literally nothing to do with the wholesale replacement of every attractive redhaired female character in literature or film with a ghetto queen. But yeah, "foh is gonna get all riled up about this one!!!1"

It's almost like no one cares about Macbeth like they care about countless other IPs that have had characters race changed from the source...

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Romeo And Juliet In Fair Verona GIF

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting to see that the blackwashing takes to the "bad guys" in this play, the Macbeths. Still, it's one hell of a play. Will be interesting just to see how he does the "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow..." soliloquy. I kind of live by the last part of it: "[Life] is a tale, told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Denzel can act so I am good with this color be damned. Perhaps the bigger hope is that he doing to the role might bring Shakespeare to some of the new kids who have no idea what it is.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Denzel can act so I am good with this color be damned. Perhaps the bigger hope is that he doing to the role might bring Shakespeare to some of the new kids who have no idea what it is.

Someone somewhere probably said the same thing about Hamilton too.

Burns

This may take a few watches to fully appreciate. The last time I touched MacBeth was in high school, so it was difficult to follow the prose at time (which was a distraction).

The acting was top notch, but the artistic style dominated everything. It is best described as a blend of theater and movie, as if they hired a team of theater set artists and told them that they have an unlimited budget and space.

Due to this choice, in how it was filmed, it felt like you were watching a play, instead of a movie, and therefore a diverse Scotland wasn't much of a distraction.

For Shakespeare movies, I liked the three Kenneth Branagh movies, over this, but I have seen those a few times. So, maybe this one will grow on me.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database