The Tree of Life (2011)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I never saw this movie, but for some reason when I hear "Tree of Life" I think about "Fern Gully". Now THAT is a classic.

Arakkis

N00b
I can still sing part of the Batty Rap. I have to look for my keys every single damn day, but those lyrics will never leave my brain.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The Tree of Life is the first movie ever made to have no element of subjectivity whatsoever. It is objectively terrible. This movie is bad just like 1+1=2. If you like it, there's a good chance you have a major mental disorder and should be institutionalized. It is so bad that I got AIDS after watching only 30 minutes of it. Once I was raped by an elephant on Rock Hard Weekend while being forced to watch Shelly masturbate to a picture of Camerous's dick which I was also forced to look at, and this movie was still the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Cybsled

Even if all you said was true, it would make Tree of Life some sort of masterpiece, wouldn't it?
Masterpiece in the same way that Daleks think insane, murderous Daleks are beautiful I guess. It's like the troll version of that.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The Tree of Life is the first movie ever made to have no element of subjectivity whatsoever. It is objectively terrible. This movie is bad just like 1+1=2. If you like it, there's a good chance you have a major mental disorder and should be institutionalized. It is so bad that I got AIDS after watching only 30 minutes of it. Once I was raped by an elephant on Rock Hard Weekend while being forced to watch Shelly masturbate to a picture of Camerous's dick which I was also forced to look at, and this movie was still the worst thing that's ever happened to me.
Gee, should we listen to some uncouth rube who fucks animals on weekends, or RT which has it at 84%. Stick with Pacific Rim or Battleship, chief. Those seem to be more of your speed

iannis

Musty Nester
I've tried to watch tree of life like 3 times and each time I've gotten bored and gotten up.

Is it one of those movies that's a lot better when you're drunk? And I don't say that in a demeaning way. Writing for an alternate mindset is a rarified skill.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I've tried to watch tree of life like 3 times and each time I've gotten bored and gotten up.

Is it one of those movies that's a lot better when you're drunk? And I don't say that in a demeaning way. Writing for an alternate mindset is a rarified skill.
Doubt it, I never watched it drunk.

I guess in a lot of ways, you need to be at a certain stage in your intellectual evolution to understand those types of films. A lot of people watch movies for mindless violence, giant robots or whatnot.

I enjoy the larger philosophical questions that a film poses, which can turn off a lot of people because they think it might be preachy or because they don't get it. The Tree of Life and Prometheus both focus on the question of human existence, and how astonishingly amazing life is, especially complex life such as ourselves. They are both beautiful films.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Doubt it, I never watched it drunk.

I guess in a lot of ways, you need to be at a certain stage in your intellectual evolution to understand those types of films. A lot of people watch movies for mindless violence, giant robots or whatnot.

I enjoy the larger philosophical questions that a film poses, which can turn off a lot of people because they think it might be preachy or because they don't get it. The Tree of Life and Prometheus both focus on the question of human existence, and how astonishingly amazing life is, especially complex life such as ourselves. They are both beautiful films.
I was with you until you dropped the Prometheus bomb and lost me.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
hulkhogan_02.jpg

Ah, RRP, why? This place is like a tin mine, all work and no play :S

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Loved the thin red line deeply and deeply hated this. I think Malick has too fully given in to his excesses. Haven't seen his more recent films but it sounds like he's even more committed to his ways.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you are thinking of The Fountain. A movie that shares some of its ambitions with Tree of Life but falls waaaaay shorter (it is more gratifying as a narration though, there are characters with lines and a plot that moves forward, etc).

I've always thought The Fountain was a great movie that people tended to ruin for themselves by grossly overthinking it. The dude's wife died too soon, and he couldn't prevent it. The end. Maybe the visuals were a little over the top at times, but it's sci-fi and/or fantasy set mostly in the present; the visuals are essentially necessary to alert the audience that this isn't some kind of Hallmark Special bullshit where everyone gets real sad in act 1 and then everything's hunky dory again by act 3.