The Video Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is a better idea then those road solar panels.
Solar-Powered-Hat.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'm genuinely impressed by how outrightoffendedpeople are by this solar panel road.
"Balderdash!" they cry out in a huff. "Hogwash!"
They then proceed to use their in-depth knowledge of the product in question to pick apart why it's "retarded" with all the confidence of a true expert.

Assholes.

For one thing, the fact that roads would be generating solar energy is hardly the only selling point for this product.
Wanna talk about maintenance? Which is harder/more expensive: Paying a large group of people running heavy equipment to tear up and re-pave a damaged area over several days, or popping out a damaged panel and replacing it with a mass-produced one?
Which is harder/more expensive: Re-painting bike lanes and lane dividers as they change with the seasons or changing the code that says what lines to display on the road?
Which is harder/more expensive: Paying hundreds of trucks to remove snow and carry it away to another area every time there's a heavy fall, or having the snow melt instantly as it hits the road (that may not mean much to those of you who don't get snow, but it's a HUGE benefit for those who do).
Which is harder/more expensive: Maintaining aging wooden poles holding up power lines and losing power whenever lines are broken, or having said power lines run under the street where they are both less of a visual nuisance and less likely to suffer damage from the elements?

If you pave a school yard with these panels, there is tons of potential for innovation, such as video games the students interact with by running around on the play field.
Then there's the safety features, where it would not be unfeasible to alert drivers on the road of a crossing animal up ahead (or children in a school zone for that matter). Heck, there's nothing stopping the sensors from picking up on erratic driving and alerting police of potential drunk drivers. That brings me to my only real gripe about this product: The dangers of Big Brother. If we ever did get a product like this, it would almost certainly be stripped of its more notable features (including even solar power) in favor of just pressure sensitivity. They'd say it's for our safety (see: Detecting drunk drivers), but they'd basically be able to track every car on the road, and if they can there's little doubt for me that they will.

Too expensive? Give me a fucking break. By outright eliminating several expensive aspects of road and power line maintenance these panels would pay for themselves many times over. Get over yourselves, guys.

Desmas_sl

shitlord
Hippie in our midst!

With the internet, you never know who is watching - NSA watches me poop; I work for a company in Germany that manufactures photo-voltaic laminators. Having installed over 40 of them in North America (Mexico, USA, Canada) for companies that ''mass produce'' said modules, I can assure you that the taxes would rise if these are used for roadways. It is extremely expensive technology. Unless, you want to use inefficient solar modules. Either way, there is no use being green anymore: west Antarctica ice shelf is melting into the sea - it's irreversible. Haven't you heard?

Want to do something different? Start buying cars made with chopsticks instead of your V8 Hemi Super Power Charged Twin Turbo Booster Triton Gas Guzzlers.

rrr_img_67842.jpg

Xevy

Log Wizard
With the way it's designed it would make it very hard for people to ride their bicycles on it! Think of the hippies, man!

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm genuinely impressed by how outrightoffendedpeople are by this solar panel road.
They then proceed to use their in-depth knowledge of the product in question to pick apart why it's "retarded" with all the confidence of a true expert.

Assholes.

For one thing, the fact that roads would be generating solar energy is hardly the only selling point for this product.
Wanna talk about maintenance? Which is harder/more expensive: Paying a large group of people running heavy equipment to tear up and re-pave a damaged area over several days, or popping out a damaged panel and replacing it with a mass-produced one?
Which is harder/more expensive: Re-painting bike lanes and lane dividers as they change with the seasons or changing the code that says what lines to display on the road?
Which is harder/more expensive: Paying hundreds of trucks to remove snow and carry it away to another area every time there's a heavy fall, or having the snow melt instantly as it hits the road (that may not mean much to those of you who don't get snow, but it's a HUGE benefit for those who do).
Which is harder/more expensive: Maintaining aging wooden poles holding up power lines and losing power whenever lines are broken, or having said power lines run under the street where they are both less of a visual nuisance and less likely to suffer damage from the elements?

If you pave a school yard with these panels, there is tons of potential for innovation, such as video games the students interact with by running around on the play field.
Then there's the safety features, where it would not be unfeasible to alert drivers on the road of a crossing animal up ahead (or children in a school zone for that matter). Heck, there's nothing stopping the sensors from picking up on erratic driving and alerting police of potential drunk drivers. That brings me to my only real gripe about this product: The dangers of Big Brother. If we ever did get a product like this, it would almost certainly be stripped of its more notable features (including even solar power) in favor of just pressure sensitivity. They'd say it's for our safety (see: Detecting drunk drivers), but they'd basically be able to track every car on the road, and if they can there's little doubt for me that they will.

Too expensive? Give me a fucking break. By outright eliminating several expensive aspects of road and power line maintenance these panels would pay for themselves many times over. Get over yourselves, guys.
This is naive. All of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Definitely not arguing solar energy with you, Tanoomba, sorry. That you think maintenance of a solar panel array that is driven on will be cheaper than asphalt is enough for me to not even read what you have to say or present a coherent argument against any of it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's gotta be a lot better ways to do renewable energy than driving on solar panels...

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
If the argument is that the roads represent unused/underutilized space that could be turned into solar power generation, then think about how much unused/underutilized space is available in............space?

Space-based solar power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

P.S. The idea of turning all roads into solar panels is a pipe dream (unless we have flying cars!) For the amount of money you would spend turning every road in this country into a solar panel, hell you might as well take that money and get to work building a fusion reactor instead.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If the argument is that the roads represent unused/underutilized space that could be turned into solar power generation, then think about how much unused/underutilized space is available in............space?

Space-based solar power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

P.S. The idea of turning all roads into solar panels is a pipe dream (unless we have flying cars!) For the amount of money you would spend turning every road in this country into a solar panel, hell you might as well take that money and get to work building a fusion reactor instead.

There's no proof that a fusion reactor would ever be possible. You could throw infinite money at fusion power and still not get anything.

The solar road shit could work given infinite money, but it's still fucking stupid.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
There's no proof that a fusion reactor would ever be possible. You could throw infinite money at fusion power and still not get anything.

The solar road shit could work given infinite money, but it's still fucking stupid.
Wrong dumb ass, did you not watch the clip I just posted? Its called Mr. Fusion. It already exists.

mr_fusion.jpg

bazazu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whatever semblance of logic you are trying to present here would be decimated by one thing.

Snow plows.

Check mate bitch.

Assholes.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Assholes.

You're beyond fucking retarded at this point. Go stick to your education by facebook bullshit and fight for tranny and hoodie rights.