The Wandering Earth (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed the premise of the movie even with ridiculous science.

The movie though is cliche, it filled with cliche one dimensional characters that exist sorely to have their cliche moment at some point.

None of the characters are fleshed out in any ways, or interesting. In the end I didn't care if any of them survived or not which isn't really good in a disaster movie.

Still as I said, I managed to enjoy it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. I was hoping for something a bit more entertaining, but it ultimately fell pretty flat. Almost all of the characters were straight out of anime-trope 101. I even had to check to see if the English dubs matched the Chinese voices for the young girl, because she was annoying as FUCK and I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a shitty dub. Nope, she sounded just as fucking retarded and annoying in Chinese. I literally wanted to murder her for 85% of the movie. The other 15% I think she probably didn't talk.

Every character was just fucking bad. And the story, while a super-interesting concept, was reduced down to shit, essentially. As others, I did manage to enjoy it enough, but if I had to recommend it to anyone else, which is essentially what I'm doing here, I'd say don't waste your time. The special effects were kinda neat at times, particularly seeing Earth being pushed through space (let's not get into the actual science of that though), and there was a lot of disaster movie-ish scenes with shit falling all over and our heroes running/driving through it, but even that got to be a bit boring and repetitive.

tl;dr Great concept, poor execution. Don't bother unless you are really into this sort of thing, or super fucking bored. 5/10.

Cybsled

So basically every disaster movie ever made? If the special effects are good I’ll give it a watch

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I thought they were good. Overall thought the movie was very good for a movie made in China on a relative shoestring budget that ended up making 700 bazillion dollars.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I went in expecting a good movie because of the first few posts of this thread. I lost interest and turned it off less than half way through. Just another generic disaster movie with poor dialogue. Boring.

Ladro

Anomaly
Watched this last night, wasn't bad; I was entertained at the spectacle. Interesting premise but the pacing was really fucking weird. Cuts were very abrupt at times and that was confusing for me. Overall, not bad but definitely a Chinese movie focused on their political viewpoints and society. I would put this in the same bucket as a Roland Emmerich movie, turn off your brain enough and it's fine.

7/10 for me.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed it. I am really surprised that Netflix didnt make a big deal about it. Just showed up on the trending list and watched it. Didnt even know about it. The dubs probably take a great bit away, but when its already stretching the limits of believability... I just dont care enough to have subs on.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I enjoyed it. I am really surprised that Netflix didnt make a big deal about it. Just showed up on the trending list and watched it. Didnt even know about it. The dubs probably take a great bit away, but when its already stretching the limits of believability... I just dont care enough to have subs on.

They were advertising all over Facebook and yahoo that they got exclusive distribution rights to it before the release.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They were advertising all over Facebook and yahoo that they got exclusive distribution rights to it before the release.
That's weird, because I literally had to search for the name to find it. Like, I had to type out almost all of Wandering before it popped up even. Usually a "hot" movie will pop up the minute I search for the first letter or two. It didn't even show up on any of my recommended feeds, or the Sci-Fi one, etc. And I've watched/rated a shitload of scifi on Netflix, so it's not like they didn't have anything to base my feed off of.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That's weird, because I literally had to search for the name to find it. Like, I had to type out almost all of Wandering before it popped up even. Usually a "hot" movie will pop up the minute I search for the first letter or two. It didn't even show up on any of my recommended feeds, or the Sci-Fi one, etc. And I've watched/rated a shitload of scifi on Netflix, so it's not like they didn't have anything to base my feed off of.

Same. Apparently it is not showing to North America or some shit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Where do chinese politics ever kick in?

It doesnt't unless you observe the conspicuous abscence of sexuality. At some point there's so little sexual tension you start wondering if it's some kinda christian pro-life propaganda movie in space.

Other chinese movies have plenty of sexual tension---too much as far as their cultural board is concerned---but this movie was determined to be the model of tentpole chinese blockbusters of the future.

Last edited:

Goatface

finally watched this last night, and mostly liked it. the prequel comes out next month. don't think i really care about about a prequel. would like to seen it pick up generations later, maybe at the end of the 500 year drift.