The War Z, out for Steam now

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Title says most of it.

http://thewarz.com/

It's like 13$ on Steam now, came out yesterday. Played a few hours and was surprised actually. It's really not bad; very obviously a DayZ knockoff, but it works. Engine is pretty smooth (despite some terrible animations in 3rd person), the gameplay is just DayZ so far (full pvp thank god), and unlike DayZ it actually works and you don't spend 20 minutes finding a server to play on. One big area it differs is there are safe zones you can get to, which give you access to a global inventory that lets you store items and supplies for distribution across multiple or new characters. Not sure I like that bit or not yet, as I can see it reaching critical mass after some time in the game and every fresh start I make being able to just grab a rifle from global storage.

Lot of people in game were saying there is tons of cheating going on, but I haven't put the time in to it yet to notice, so that remains to be seen. Cash shop seems pretty steep and I doubt I'll be using it at all (you can buy all kinds of "real" items in too, ie food/water/ammo etc), so I'm probably stuck with the base character model for now. They do have ingame currency you can find though to go spend in the cash store I guess.

All in all, I think I prefer DayZ, but this is a great diversion for 13$ until DayZ finally releases the standalone.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Nononononono.

Do not support these devs. If you think EA is bad, you should read all the crap about these guys. Steam forums, reddit, youtube, or pretty much anywhere you go has someone bad talking about them.

Maybe in a year if this game officially releases it won't be shit, but until then save yourself the hassle.

All the "features" on the Steam store page aren't even implemented. This is as good as a Kickstarter.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nononononono.

Do not support these devs. If you think EA is bad, you should read all the crap about these guys. Steam forums, reddit, youtube, or pretty much anywhere you go has someone bad talking about them.

Maybe in a year if this game officially releases it won't be shit, but until then save yourself the hassle.

All the "features" on the Steam store page aren't even implemented. This is as good as a Kickstarter.
lol thanks, I would have bought this when I got home today.

Your reputation will affect how other players react on you. It will affect how security forces of safe settlments react on you.

So technically - YES you can kill everyone you can see, but then you may end up in situation that you'll be denied help by other players just because they don't like your reputation level.
yay for players policing players.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Nononononono.

Yea their blurb on the Steam page is like 90% bullshit. The game is in almost exactly the same state as DayZ at this point in terms of features (ie, there aren't many besides zombies and pvp).

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
To be honest I didn't even read the steam page, but after going back and reading it and looking at the screenshots....yea, it's just piles of lies. Almost nothing on that Steam page actually exists.

But if you liked DayZ this is essentially the same thing.

scal_sl

shitlord
Loved DayZ. I was tempted to buy this, but hacking is supposedly very rampant. Hacking in games with perma death is a deal breaker for me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Arma2 and the operation arrowhead expansion. At this point don't bother though, they are releasing a standalone for it, supposedly by the end of the year.

Zantox_sl

shitlord
Arma II's expansion and Arma II free or paid (I was lazy and bought Arma II: Combined Operations).

Also, apparently in WarZ they have a pay-to-reduce-death-time mechanic ... TotalBiscuit did a video on the whole thing and just shit all over it (TotalBiscuit on : "Well I literally cannot find a single positive aspect about the game so, it's pretty hard.")

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Arma2+expansion is about 30$ depending on sales.

And yea, most of what he says is true, especially regarding the completely misleading posting in Steam about the features/content of the game. 90% of what they advertise just doesn't exist. That said, what is there is almost identical to DayZ, so it's not bad for the 13$ or whatever it costs. Their obvious cash grabbing with the RMT store is pretty lame, but whatever, I don't get involved in that shit anyway.

I do disagree with him on the "it's big and empty and boring bit" though. I don't find it any more sparse than DayZ, and from watching that video he either never played DayZ or was just godawful terrible at it. Yes, you will die a lot. Yes, items are hard to find. Yes, there is empty space, but there is supposed to be in these games. In fact overall I'd say the one big advantage this game has over Dayz (at least for right now, standalone DayZ will change it) is that almost all buildings have some kind of interior/item spawn in them. It doesn't have the small hamlets with literally 0 usable buildings or item spawns in them that DayZ does. This means though that there are less towns in general, so on high pop servers a lot of places can get pretty crowded.

Overall the game is in roughly the same state as DayZ in terms of content/bugs/hacking, but the inventory management and general UI in WarZ are better (as it's not a mod to a shitty realism game). I think I like the DayZ map better, but WarZ is nice for now until the standalone for DayZ is done.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm kind of disappointed to own this game now for the way the developers are acting.. got it a few months ago and feel I already got my moneys worth, but what the fuck

Also, there is a thread for this in the MMO forum too. Is it possible to get a merger or something?