The Warriors (1979)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Warriors (1979)

Tagline: These are the armies of the night.

Genre: Action, Thriller

Director: Walter Hill

Cast: Michael Beck, James Remar, David Patrick Kelly, Dorsey Wright, David Harris, Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Brian Tyler, Steve James, Tom McKitterick, Marcelino Sanchez, Terry Michos, Roger Hill, Lynne Thigpen, Mercedes Ruehl, John Snyder, Irwin Keyes, Antone Pagán, Sonny Landham, Thomas G. Waites, Johnny Barnes, George Lee Miles, Paul Greco, Iris Klein, Tony Clark, Robert Townsend, Ginny Ortiz, Edward Sewer, Joel Weiss, J.W. Smith, Doran Clark, Katie Kaufman, Lisa Maurer, Craig R. Baxley, Konrad Sheehan, Tommy J. Huff, Irwin Keyes, Sonny Landham, Frank Ferrara, Victor Magnotta, Apache Ramos, Paul Greco

Release: 1979-02-09

Runtime: 94

Plot: Prominent gang leader Cyrus calls a meeting of New York's gangs to set aside their turf wars and take over the city. At the meeting, a rival leader kills Cyrus, but a Coney Island gang called the Warriors is wrongly blamed for Cyrus' death. Before you know it, the cops and every gangbanger in town is hot on the Warriors' trail.

Goatface

they have been trying to remake it for decades, think ridley scott's brother was closest to getting it done, til he died. apparently there is still a series been worked on for netflix.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Well this is very unfortunate. One of my all time favorite movies.
the-office-steve-carell.gif

Fuck.

Szlia

If anything, I am surprised it has not been done before. I mean you can almost Mandela effect the idea the Walter Hill film was a musical.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Oh weird. I'd never heard of this movie before, but husband suggested we watch it last night after some meme referenced it and I was clueless. Fun movie, minus the dumb cock carousel bitch; wish she'd gotten pushed in front of one of those trains. Can't imagine any remake of this thing in today's age wouldn't be a train wreck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hey guys we found an obscure film some people still seem to like, boot up the reboot machine!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

Well this is very unfortunate. One of my all time favorite movies.

1691123198585.png

Wa-a-a-a-rriors come out (come out!), I said now- come out (come out!) oh come out (come out!), oh come out! (come out!) come out and play (play!) play (play!) play (play!) ah play-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ayyyyyyyyyyy (play! oh play! oh play!)

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you were into rap in the 90s this was often sampled / quoted film. Warriors, come out and playyyy

Chris

Potato del Grande
A guy put this on at uni saying it was a cult classic and it was just people walking around, I didn't get it.

Seems like all the different gangs are ripe for woke diversity points, but they would probably make them all be ethnic lesbians and trannies.

• 1Mother of God

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think the first time I saw The Warriors was early 80s on HBO. Last time I watched it was around 98 on VHS or some shit. It's a fun flick. Plot plays out like an old school side scroller arcade game.

Reminds me of Escape from New York and vice versa. A bunch of violent characters chasing each other around a dystopian New York.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
A guy put this on at uni saying it was a cult classic and it was just people walking around, I didn't get it.

Seems like all the different gangs are ripe for woke diversity points, but they would probably make them all be ethnic lesbians and trannies.
sure you werent watching Lord Of The Rings? cuz i can see you saying the same thing about that.
NO, they arent just walking around, what the fuck is wrong with you?

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
sure you werent watching Lord Of The Rings? cuz i can see you saying the same thing about that.
NO, they arent just walking around, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Sorry my memory of this isn't great.

I should have said running around. I just thought that is was awkwardly paced and didn't have enough action given that the subject matter is gang fights.

I'm remembering this from nearly 20 years ago at the end of a drunken night out, so sorry if this is off.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
there was an aussie ripoff of this, exactly the same plot. some wog gang complains about discrimination then proceeds to be racist as fuck against everyone else while they fight their way across perth. i tried to find the name but "once were warriors" keeps coming up and i don't care enough to keep looking.

80's new york was apparently a bit of a hellscape. there were all sorts of "superpredator" fears going around until legalised abortion ended up killing all the unborn criminals. thanks freakonomics!

pic timely and related

1691137776512.png

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Warriors was a great movie back in the day. Ps.. Joe Walsh doing the closing credits song didn't hurt.

paul feig look GIF

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If you were into rap in the 90s this was often sampled / quoted film. Warriors, come out and playyyy
i know Biohazard did one. they were called Biohazid back in the day. they played in a lot of the clubs i went to back then

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure some if you know it's based on the 2400 year old story in Xenophon’s Anabasis. I still get a kick out of it.

Much like how modern movies fuck up the heroes journey in every movie the days they'll make this vomit inducing if they remake it. It'll be something like, a young female loses her friends at a party and she has to find her way home to her dorm, facing misogyny, racism, white nationalists and corrupt police on her way.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
One of the best movies of all time right here.

I saw this when I was 5-6 and the baseball furies were scary as shit back then. Especially after they sprinted like 2 miles, took one deep breath and were good to go :p

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database