The Witch (2015)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The movie is also a bit of a period piece,.
This is something I forgot to mention. If you are some kind of witch-nerd who loves all things witch related and somehow you weren't convinced to see this, this movie is 100% for you. Eggers is, apparently, a huge witch buff. This movie takes place some number of years before the Salem witch hysteria, but a lot of what is in this movie is influenced by or directly taken from writings of the period of shit people actually accused others of and said about their neighbors, along with folklore of the time in New England.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Saw it tonight. Loved it. The acting was fantastic and the scenery gave the movie a very creepy vibe throughout. It's a great departure from the recent trend of cheap thrills horror flicks. It's slower paced, but if you go in not expecting a scare every five minutes, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really is.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh nice, havent had a good horror movie in ages. I will go see this tomorrow.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Saw it tonight. Loved it. The acting was fantastic and the scenery gave the movie a very creepy vibe throughout. It's a great departure from the recent trend of cheap thrills horror flicks. It's slower paced, but if you go in not expecting a scare every five minutes, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really is.
I'm really looking forward to this movie, I want something that's going to make me uncomfortable rather than tired jump scares.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally caught it this afternoon and is definitely one of the best pure horror movies in the last several decades, zero startle scares with loud noises but insanely great atmosphere with genuinely creepy and unnerving moments near the end. Its on the same level as The Shining in terms of pacing, slow build up with using the idea of making not everything seem right but not relying upon someone with a hammer smashing a cello for scares.

Also felt very Trve Kvlt with the wet forest in the fall.

Zastlyn

Peasant
I really liked this movie. But I think 90% of normal everyday people won't like it. The audience I was with really really hated the thing. It was the perfect storm of shitty behavior for some reason. It was good but jesus christ, I'll never see a movie within the first couple of weeks again.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
This movie is good if you like the mundane lives of 17th century colonists. A few interesting scenes interspersed throughout 90 minutes of boring schlock do not make a film.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Yeah, I saw it and some dude with his girl was like I paid 20 bucks for this? People laughed. I enjoyed it. Good acting, eerie and foreboding is how I'd describe the movie.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Glad to see this film will be cult status after seeing how divisive it makes people, also on a related note the perfect gift.

rrr_img_127796.jpg

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Finally caught it this afternoon. Best horror movie I've seen in a long while. Seemed like it blended elements of "Young Goodman Brown" and "The Crucible", and the result was awesome. Like others have said, if you dig a slow-burn movie, check it out, the pay-off is worth it.

Column_sl

shitlord
The movie was alright, so what is the theory on the ending

Did she make that deal with Black Phillip early on, or did she make it at the end when everyone was dead. If she made it early on it would make her confession to the children much more evil

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For me 6/10, but definitely worth the watch.

The Good
-Captured the time period
-Atmosphere, visuals
-Acting of the Mother, Father, Oldest Daughter

The Bad
-The rest of the kids
-Some of the dialogue was force and too 'old-timey'
-Wasn't the most orignal of stories, not a lot happened
-Was not scary, at all

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed this. I took a class on the history of New England witchcraft in college and how it was shaped by the economics of the Bay colony. A lot of what I studied showed up in this movie, and I was very impressed.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
After loving The Lighthouse I had to see this.

Wouldst thou like the taste of butter? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
After loving The Lighthouse I had to see this.

Wouldst thou like the taste of butter? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

you forgot:

To see the world?

and yeah the Witch was one of my favorite movies. Are we saying Lighthouse has a similar vibe? I need to see it.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Are we saying Lighthouse has a similar vibe?

No! The only similarities are the commitment to time and place in that they both feel authentic and the characters use the period appropriate parlance. Apart from that, they're very different in every other way. The Lighthouse is still awesome, just slower paced, more surreal, more stylized in framing and lighting, a less straight forward in story... it's fucking weird, but it's really good.