The Witness

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn I can't even find it in the store to preload / buy, guess I'll have to remember tomorrow. Someone bump the thread!

been waiting/following his dev blog since it started. he had the core of it done in the first 2 years or so and has been hashing it out since. he spent all/most of his funds for braid, then spent most of funds from braid for witness. he's making a new comp progamming lang and his lectures are informative and insightful. someone please setup a trust fund for him so that he can expand his company and work on more projects at once as he has tons of ideas but not enough time to do it. he could be a miyamoto.

i can imagine this will be the closest thing to a masterpiece for gaming or at least in this genre.
on him/braid being pretentious: the game isn't. it's largely the male 20-something ego who bases his identity on action gaming who wishes they were a game developer. after braid was released it was largely the rhetoric, then afterwards the 2nd wave of indie devs were parroting him.

releases 1pm est tomorrow.
there is a spoiler for the game.

other quality puzzle games: antichamber, portal, quantum conundrum, braid, talos principle.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
upon on PSN $40
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...EWITNESSPS4PS4

so far its been said only the PC version will be VR compatible, not the PS4 version. So if you wanna do VR and don't plan on playing it this week, may just wanna wait for a sale on the PC steam version. in 3 months it'll be $10-15 on sale.
Wow 40.00 my ass. Give me a fucking break. I was looking forward to this around 19 at launch and would have bought it full price at that, but 39.99? Fucking kidding me??

Sale it is. Or just free sooner or later via ps plus.

User reviews are also hitting: "Did you seriously make a game this gorgeous just to constrain puzzles to two-dimensional squares where you get to play a combination of connect the dots meets Snake? No Myst-like real world interaction? Nothing? I can't tell if I'm being trolled or what. The game is breathtaking, but if you can't interact with objects in the world to solve puzzles apart from solving Snake the dots, what's the point?"

$40 is absolutely decently priced.
the puzzle panels.. it's more about figuring out the rules and then finding out you don't know the rules. however, once you know the rules there are some puzzles which are just require a constraint solver to figure out the right permutation. those parts are not fun as it doesn't challenge anything except your patience to go through all the permutations. it becomes just a tedious generic puzzle at that point. those are thankfully few.
you don't just solve puzzles. you observe the island and has to do with the monoliths.. there's more to it than the puzzles though some might consider it that interactive.

there's no fps skill required for the game. it makes it much more approachable for nongamers.
the game is stunning and runs well on integrated graphics.

that said, it wasn't what i was expecting and i'm a bit disappointed cause i don't like those type of puzzles. i like that it fairly undermines your limited scope of what you think is true, but dislike it when you randomly guess what the rule is because you haven't (i assume) made it to x part of the island where it is likely to be explained if at all. that's just the nature of the game. in that regard it is not satisfying as it's tedious after awhile.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I have sunk a good amount of time after work in this game since Tuesday, and frankly I haven't been this impressed with a game in a long time. Currently around 320ish puzzles solved (out of almost 700 according to Dev).

Is $40 a bit too pricey? Yes and no. I thought it was when I bought it, but as I've played the game I now feel that the care and quality of the effort put into crafting this game has justified the price, and frankly I would probably be willing to pay more.

If a puzzle + mystery game doesn't appeal to you, then no...wait for a big sale.

FYI, this game is more than just interacting with 2-d puzzle mazes, but I don't want to give anything away. Let me just say when I discovered a different...layer?...of puzzles it sorta just blew my mind how carefully constructed this island was.

And if the mystery pans out to be something interesting, then I'd say this game easily deserves the 10 IGN gave the it.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Wow 40.00 my ass. Give me a fucking break. I was looking forward to this around 19 at launch and would have bought it full price at that, but 39.99? Fucking kidding me??

Sale it is. Or just free sooner or later via ps plus.

User reviews are also hitting: "Did you seriously make a game this gorgeous just to constrain puzzles to two-dimensional squares where you get to play a combination of connect the dots meets Snake? No Myst-like real world interaction? Nothing? I can't tell if I'm being trolled or what. The game is breathtaking, but if you can't interact with objects in the world to solve puzzles apart from solving Snake the dots, what's the point?"
It's obvious that person reviewing hasn't played the game for more than like 1 hour...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I played through probably 100 of the puzzles. The scenery is great.

The game is Candy Crush basically. You could have made it be on rails and an iPad app and called it a day. Maybe all these hints about a different 'layer' might make it worth it but if you don't find that in the first 100 or so puzzles the game has failed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's obvious that person reviewing hasn't played the game for more than like 1 hour...
Ok so you actually do get to interact with the island aside from panels with maze puzzles? Because if that is the case, that's great. I heard it was a great island with a great atmosphere ruined by the fact that you couldn't interact with anything but panels and snake maze puzzles.

In a spoiler can you illustrate how this isn't the case and give an example, and also, is it prevelant that I will be able to interact with a lot of object puzzles? Because then I would retract my earlier statement. But if it is 700 panels, not interested at that price. For the record I like these types of games. Talos for instance. Myst. 7th guest. I also like games like everybody's gone to rapture and Esther. Myst did it perfectly. Object interactions and all puzzles were unique.

Edit: a_skeleton_03 that is what I am Afraid of.

Out of the 700 or so puzzles in the game, how many involve: 1) Not a panel. 2) Not a maze/snake puzzle.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ok so you actually do get to interact with the island aside from panels with maze puzzles? Because if that is the case, that's great. I heard it was a great island with a great atmosphere ruined by the fact that you couldn't interact with anything but panels and snake maze puzzles.

In a spoiler can you illustrate how this isn't the case and give an example, and also, is it prevelant that I will be able to interact with a lot of object puzzles? Because then I would retract my earlier statement. But if it is 700 panels, not interested at that price. For the record I like these types of games. Talos for instance. Myst. 7th guest. I also like games like everybody's gone to rapture and Esther. Myst did it perfectly. Object interactions and all puzzles were unique.

Out of the 700 or so puzzles in the game, how many involve: 1) Not a panel. 2) Not a maze/snake puzzle.
Well it looks like you read a lot more about this game than I did beforehand, so I'm not sure these fall under maze/snake puzzle for you. Early on you are given a hint that the physical landscape, buildings, objects themselves contain hidden "visual" puzzles. For example, the place that hints at this is on top of the mountain where most people will trek to after activating the first laser. There's a panel up there that simply mimics the shape of the river itself down below. What I didn't realize at the time (I discovered the process at a different location) is that if you then click on the "circular starting" point of the actual river/building/etc and then follow the path to a rounded end, "solve" it, it then releases some sorta of energy that gets directed to some other conspicuous objects on the island. Its more of a visual puzzle, being able to spot these by standing at the right angle, distance, etc.

So the game certainly isn't 700 panels, but I don't know if this falls under interacting with objects puzzles. I'd say there are probably 100-150 of these type alone. I'd also say that a lot of the panel puzzles involve more than just simply solving a maze on a puzzle panel. For example, one area is up in an area of large trees, where the panels make up the physical walkways between the trees. So not only do you have to solve the panels themselves to extend the walkways over to the next tree structure, but you also have to connect the walkways in the correct manner.

Hope this helps.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

You might be able to see how to solve it via clues in the environment but they all require the panel.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well it looks like you read a lot more about this game than I did beforehand, so I'm not sure these fall under maze/snake puzzle for you. Early on you are given a hint that the physical landscape, buildings, objects themselves contain hidden "visual" puzzles. For example, the place that hints at this is on top of the mountain where most people will trek to after activating the first laser. There's a panel up there that simply mimics the shape of the river itself down below. What I didn't realize at the time (I discovered the process at a different location) is that if you then click on the "circular starting" point of the actual river/building/etc and then follow the path to a rounded end, "solve" it, it then releases some sorta of energy that gets directed to some other conspicuous objects on the island. Its more of a visual puzzle, being able to spot these by standing at the right angle, distance, etc.

So the game certainly isn't 700 panels, but I don't know if this falls under interacting with objects puzzles. I'd say there are probably 100-150 of these type alone. I'd also say that a lot of the panel puzzles involve more than just simply solving a maze on a puzzle panel. For example, one area is up in an area of large trees, where the panels make up the physical walkways between the trees. So not only do you have to solve the panels themselves to extend the walkways over to the next tree structure, but you also have to connect the walkways in the correct manner.

Hope this helps.
Ok that helps. Thanks
smile.png
It actually sounds a bit more interesting now.

On the fence if it is 40 bucks interesting. Seems like one of those games that I can wait for PS Plus possibly.