They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Genre: Documentary, History, War

Director: Peter Jackson

Release: 2018-10-16

Runtime: 99

Plot: A documentary about World War I with never-before-seen footage to commemorate the centennial of Armistice Day, and the end of the war.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Supposedly only in theaters for two days. Add it to my holiday bucket list.

Second trailer:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Dec 17th and 27th. I guess it aired in the UK on BBC so there's probably some versions available online.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only seeing it in 720p for now, this is one I really want to see in high quality to see just what Peter Jackson was able to do with it. I'm hoping this is amazing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just finished watching it and thought it was just alright. Reducing the first world war, even focusing just on the British, down to 109 minutes doesn't really do it justice. In its presentation the scope and duration is really lacking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I just finished watching it and thought it was just alright. Reducing the first world war, even focusing just on the British, down to 109 minutes doesn't really do it justice. In its presentation the scope and duration is really lacking.

I couldn't finish it. Just didn't think it was that well made.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Sucks that it sounds like this wasn't great, but reminder anyway for the states that today (Dec 17th) is one of the only days it's available if you wanted to see it in theaters.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is getting a wider release in theaters now. 98% on RT's and positive reviews most everywhere. I think I am going to try to check it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
regardless of if this was well made or not, ww1 was far more interesting than ww2, changemymind

• 1Jonesing
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie is about WW1, but here you go anyways:
  • WW2 had some real fucking sociopathic villains, WW1 was the last dying thralls of old monarchies.
  • The stakes for WW2 were the extermination of entire races of people, WW1 was about territory and aggrieved feelings.
  • WW2 gave us true glimpses and the means of the extinction of the human race could look like, WW1 merely reminded people the misery of war.
  • WW2 formed new nations, wiped some off the map, formed new governments & ideologies, and jump started United States financial and military dominance that is the greatest the world has ever seen. WW1 just buttfucked Germany and lit the match that allowed the Bolsheviks to come into power in Russia.
  • WW2 60 million casualties spanning three quarters of the globe, WW1 10 million casualties and was largely a European conflict.
  • WW2 Submarines, Air superiority, Nuclear bombs, all sorts of machines of war running on fossil fuels, Aircraft Carriers, Long Range Rockets, and Paratroopers. WW1 was artillery, trenches and horses.
  • WW2 had the battle of Kursk with 503,663 anti-tank mines, 439,348 anti-personnel mines, 500,000 German men, 10,000 guns and mortars, 2,700 tanks and assault guns and 2,500 aircraft. The Soviets had 1,300,000 men, over 20,000 guns and mortars, 3,600 tanks, 2,650 aircraft and five reserve field armies of another 500,000 men and 1,500 additional tanks. That was just one battle. There is nothing in the entire 5 years of WW1 that can even come close to that scope and scale.
  • WW2 had the largest aircraft carrier battle in history, involving fifteen U.S. fleet and light carriers, nine Japanese carriers, 170 other warships and some 1,700 aircraft. In terms of tonnage, the U.S. Fifth Fleet's Task Force 58 is the largest single naval formation ever to give battle.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
WW1 was just pointlessly feeding the lower ranked troops into a meat grinder.

My own grandfather had been in WW1, got wounded by a nearby shell explosion. Which he later said saved his life, because he was sent to England to recuperate. During that time the unit/division ( not sure really ) that he'd been with was sent to the Somme and all wiped out.

• 2Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Saw it today. I'm kind of a WW1 buff and I thought going in, a 99 minute film isn't going to work. I was wrong. That's why Peter Jackson gets the big bucks. It's not about the whole war. It's about the experience of a British infantry soldier and as he explains, that soldier could have been German. It's a small film.

Stay for the 30 minute feature after the film that tells how the film was assembled both from a story telling point of view and technically.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
WW1 was just pointlessly feeding the lower ranked troops into a meat grinder.

My own grandfather had been in WW1, got wounded by a nearby shell explosion. Which he later said saved his life, because he was sent to England to recuperate. During that time the unit/division ( not sure really ) that he'd been with was sent to the Somme and all wiped out.

My grandfather was in both WWs, and he maintained that WW1 was the Gentlenmans War, the second turn around was worse...

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
This movie is about WW1, but here you go anyways:
  • WW2 Submarines, Air superiority, Nuclear bombs, all sorts of machines of war running on fossil fuels, Aircraft Carriers, Long Range Rockets, and Paratroopers. WW1 was artillery, trenches and horses.

Manfred and Lothar would like to have a word with you!

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've always looked at WW1 as the Soldier's war, and WW2 being the civilian's war. It was like the suffering of those poor bastards in the trenches just wasn't a strong enough message and so the world needed to have those horrors put upon the everyone. It's all well and good to be sending your brave boys to go fight in France to do right by king & country, but a whole other thing to having your homes bombed, being under siege so long that you eat your children and neighbors, and watch a country nearly bleed itself to death by throwing unarmed bodies at mechanical monsters en-masse just to buy time.

But, on the soldier's side, 2 was familiar enough due to the recency of the previous war and the possible horrors were known, whereas 1 was something entirely new and such a dramatic shift from the way war had been conducted throughout history. Those brave boys had no idea what they were getting into, with only the glories of Napoleon/Wellington and brief Franco-Prussian wars to give them an idea.The world was so shocked in what was happening that it literally had no idea on how to end something that was clearly well beyond he scope of intent.

They're both interesting and fascinating in their own ways, and I think comparing them is very much an apple vs oranges scenario.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
From the title I assumed it was about the children of anti-vaxxers. Guess I'll make an effort to go see this.

• 1Worf
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database