Things that grind your gears about shows/movies

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh another thing that really bugs me are impossible technologies. In particular how "zooming" in on something somehow reveals information that would be impossible for the device to capture. Like a satellite zooming in on a license plate but that zoomed in view is from an entirely different angle.
Along that line those many many CSI-alike shows were getting fucking rotten with the "everything is a fingerprint"

We caught the killer because he used elmers glue to glue the doll hair to the shaved dead dogs. But THIS elmers glue had a special glue-chemistry that was ONLY made in... oh god, I don't even remember what this episode was about. WE GOT HIM. YAY SCIENCE.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Shows that use made up words or similar sounding words to curse. Fracking, rutting, and other bullshit that gets used non stop in a show in order to get around censoring. Stupid Firefly and BSG.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Shows that use made up words or similar sounding words to curse. Fracking, rutting, and other bullshit that gets used non stop in a show in order to get around censoring. Stupid Firefly and BSG.
I've never been able to decide whether this, bleeping it out, or having characters not swear at all even when they normally would, is worse. It's a shame we can't all just grow the fuck up and realize that words are just words
frown.png

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
people using weapons in full auto. NO ONE DOES THIS, i know people who have been in serious shit for 16-17 years of special operations and have put their guns on full auto once or twice for distraction purposes.

and laugh tracks, fuck them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've never been able to decide whether this, bleeping it out, or having characters not swear at all even when they normally would, is worse. It's a shame we can't all just grow the fuck up and realize that words are just words
frown.png
Firefly is the worst offender in my opinion. The switch between some chinesglish and rutting and whatever else is just distractingly annoying.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I didn't mind firefly, 'fracking' always got to me though. I mean fuck, it's basically the same word, everyone knows what it's supposed to be, why are we dancing around it? Just have them say 'fuck' and be done with it. Nobody shrugs if someone calls someone an 'ass fucker' (bugger) or tells them to go suck a penis (blow me), the only reason this one word gets people so worked up is that we've arbitrary selected it as 'the F word.'

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
frown.png
I'm fine with it in Archer and 30 Rock, but it just pisses me off in BSG. Breaking Bad does a great job of avoiding it altogether. Sometimes it's hard to remember the show is on AMC.

Cybsled

I don't mind "made up" swears because it basically exposes the hypocrisy in censoring words to begin with to appease the bible thumpers/prudes. "OH GOD, JOE FLACCO SAID "FUCKING" AFTER HIS SUPER BOWL WIN!!!! MY CHILDREN ARE DAMAGED FOR LIFE NOW!!", then they start trying to get fines levied against the networks. Either that, or an advertiser doesn't want those words. In either situation, it comes down to money. If money wasn't at risk, characters on ABC/CBS/Etc could swear like Al Swearengen 24/7.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I did not read the entirety of this thread (the first two pages were mostly the same complaints I have) but I have to say... they pretty much write these shows to tailor to what a majority of people want to see. The audience and type of person that visits this forum is drastically more discerning than most of America.

House of Cards on Netflix is so promising. But they overdo the shit out of the underwoods' personalities. His smugness is kind of the reason to watch the show because you're sitting there... waiting for him to get bested to see how he reacts.

And then they finally trip him up, because they knew they had to in order to keep the audience captivated, but the way they did it was completely unbelievable if you had watched his character develop throughout the show. I mean... he gets everything he wants and bends everyone to his will with the greatest of ease (and it requires an intelligent person to completely suspend disbelief to not laugh at the dialogue) and then he has a complete meltdown over something that anyone in the audience could have seen coming from a mile away? (The lobbyist from the Teacher's Union calling him out on trying to use his wife to gain sympathy). Really? I was kind of into the show and wanted to see it through until I saw that episode. Now I think I'm done. I don't like writers who treat their audiences like imbeciles and that seems to be exactly what the writers of that show think of their viewers.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
The fake tension of reality shows.

And the person going home is...
*dramatic music*
closeup of random contestant who did bad
closeup of host
closeup of other contestant who did bad
closeup of host
*music gets more dramatic*

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
On reality shows I think a lot of that is editing, too. My biggest hunch for that one is Survivor. Someone will say something at tribal council and they'll show a reaction shot. I feel like the majority of the time, the reaction shot wasn't about what was just said, but rather about something else. They just edit the two together for drama.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who discuss reality shows like they are reality. We even have these people here, talking about Moonshiners and all those retarded fucking storage locker shows. Talking about the things that happen as if they are real. If the people aren't building something(food, car, whatever) or engaging in a real contest(fighting, made up shit, whatever) it's not fucking reality. It's scripted. There's someone off camera telling them how to act and putting them in bullshit situations. Don't watch this shit. Don't talk about this shit. Don't acknowledge this shit.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
People who discuss reality shows like they are reality. We even have these people here, talking about Moonshiners and all those retarded fucking storage locker shows. Talking about the things that happen as if they are real. If the people aren't building something(food, car, whatever) or engaging in a real contest(fighting, made up shit, whatever) it's not fucking reality. It's scripted. There's someone off camera telling them how to act and putting them in bullshit situations. Don't watch this shit. Don't talk about this shit. Don't acknowledge this shit.
Tell us how you really Feel.
tongue.png

rrr_img_13869.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My jimmies are in a constant state of rustledness over trivial bullshit. When you find them unrustled is when you need to be concerned, I'm either preparing to start my spree or I've been taken by the pod people.Thisis the only thing that keeps me sane.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i always loved those TV shows where a computer software's use of "enhance" can turn a low res CCTV image into a 1080p rez image with infinite zooming in and clearly shows the information they needed to know.
yeah me, you must be fucking nostadamus because the worst show on TV (The Following) just pulled that old Enhance software shit trope this week.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I didn't mind firefly, 'fracking' always got to me though. I mean fuck, it's basically the same word, everyone knows what it's supposed to be, why are we dancing around it? Just have them say 'fuck' and be done with it. Nobody shrugs if someone calls someone an 'ass fucker' (bugger) or tells them to go suck a penis (blow me), the only reason this one word gets people so worked up is that we've arbitrary selected it as 'the F word.'
Fracking was way worse than Firefly. Agreed.

Mainly cause they used to it constantly and it was obnoxious to hear.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm thinking about merging this thread with The Walking Dead thread.