Thinking about returning to console gaming..

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
So I've been thinking about getting back to console gaming and getting a PS4. I've always been a PS player so I have my mind made up on sticking to my guns on that. But I'm a little reluctant to do this because I've always been much more into PC games. I had a PS3 and I probably only played it for 2 weeks before it started collecting dust for over a year. Has anyone else made a return to console gaming recently and enjoyed it? I normally only play sports games on the console, but I'm interested in some other games like Metal Gear and maybe even Assasin's Creed (though I've played 4 of them on the PC and had fun just using mouse and keyboard). Has much really changed since I owned a PS3 a few years ago? Just don't wanna drop $500 on a PS4 and a couple of games if I'll never actually use the system.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A PS4 with 2 games can be had for less than a decent video card. Nothing has changed since last gen other than improved graphics and social tool integration. If your PS3 collected dust, your PS4 will too. I prefer the ease and comfort of console living room gaming these days, but to each their own.

If you have to ask the question you're asking, I say don't get one.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Depends on two things I guess. The power of your PC and location of said PC in relation to TV. Console exclusives are few and far between now.

- If you can hook up the PC to the TV, there is even less reason to get it. Major reason between console over TV is that some games are quite enjoyable on TV/couch/good chair + controller. However, a HDMI cable between the TV and PC fixes that. My TV is my monitor, so get nearly all games on PC over my PS4. For games that play best with a controller, I just connect my DS4 to my PC.

- PS4 have a few exclusives, but not that many (more than Xbox one though, and while most Microsoft games are ported to PC/windows eventually, Sony games are not). Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Uncharted, Destiny. All games that will remain exclusive.

Really depends on what you like. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne. Still use my PC much more than my PS4, but still glad I have one. If you just want it for sports, then I guess you do have the yearly cycle of the same sports games that are released every year. Madden, Fifa, NHL, NBA. Assassins creed and Metal Gear are on PC as well, so again, that would be a matter of how you play them and what you connect your PC to.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not super recently, but Demon's Souls got me to buy a PS3 and Bloodborne got me to buy a PS4. I probably wouldn't have regretted the purchases if that's all I used them for, but the thing about Sony consoles is that there's dozens of great games that will never become PC ports. Guess it depends on the genres you like though, I don't play sports games at all except for car racing, but I play just about everything else. I also went from hating gamepads to choosing to use one for most PC games nowadays when the option is there. Still think they're utter garbage for FPS, but for everything else I prefer my DS4.

Best advice I can give is to look into getting a GameFly membership. The biggest downside to consoles from the perspective of a PC gamer is that the games are retardedly expensive and even the sales are shit 99% of the time. GameFly solves the problem of the 6 hour long $60 game. Also, if you intend to use PS+ for online multiplayer, 'free' games, cloud storage, etc. then Black Friday/Cyber Monday is generally going to be the time to get your yearly membership taken care of.

Edit: But yeah, Quaid is probably right. The PS3 had a hell of a lot more exclusives than the PS4 does at this point, and if you didn't bother to play any of those there probably isn't anything that's going to change that if you get a PS4.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Thanks guys, and yea my HDMI reaches my TV. Maybe I should just buy a controller for PC games or something. I've never used a controller like that but I never lag in any of my games that I play on the PC so that might be the better route for me to go. The only downside to the PC right now is that my wife doesn't know (or want to learn) how to play with just a keyboard and mouse.

spronk

FPS noob
go for it, as an older gamer console gaming is superior to PC gaming in a time/gaming standpoint imo. I just pop in a game and play, don't have to deal with downloading the latest video drivers, trying to figure out why the game won't run in borderless windowed, why its using the onboard video instead of my GTX card, why my anti virus software won't let me launch the game, etc. Plus I don't spend a few hours tweaking settings instead of just playing.

Yeah as a young guy it was awesome tweaking games exactly the way I want and I could notice the difference between 60 fps and 30 fps and 1440 and 1080p and this jaggy pixel over here annoyed the fuck out of me but now that i'm old and senile I can't tell the difference between anything anymore so its all good. I'm like Al Bundy without glasses, and Peg is my PS4.

one thing I'd say is get best buy GCU, its $30/2 years (sometimes goes on sale, like free with a new console or game) and gives you 20% flat discount on all new games. Best Buy also offers $10 promo on preorders for big AAA games, so I end up effectively paying $40 for new games. I play for 2-4 weeks, and trade them back into best buy for $35-44. I can essentially rent new games for free from them, with PC since everything is digital you are stuck with it once you buy it. There are also fantastic deals on consoles now, like a new PS4 with one or two free games for $300-349.

best new games i'd say : Uncharted Collection, Bloodborne, The Last of Us, GTA 5, Metal Gear Solid 5, Destiny, Mad Max, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Diablo 3. Those will keep you occupied for the next year, not to mention Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy 15. Half of these are console exclusive too. Only thing I'd say is get an xbox one if you love Halo, sports games, or have a lot of friends with xbox one. EA Access is only on xbox one and for $30/yr gives you like a dozen games for free, most of them sports games.

that said I do still pick up a few games on PC, my steam library is 1500+ strong thanks to humblebundle and bundlestars. Also exclusives like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Star Citizen, etc although almost all of them (minus SC) are coming to console too nowadays.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think the biggest problem is still cost controls. Some of those console games are worth $5 at most but you have to wait otherwise at best you're looking 50-80% off full retail most of the time. Kind of have to pay attention to Walmart/BestBuy adds and then invariably go to the other and pricematch because the place where it's actually dirt cheap is sold out. Oh the good old days of physical media...

On the flipside, at least most the games that come out are playable out of the box as opposed to trying to figure out if it's yet another Steam Greenlight/indie/whatever BS that won't work or only has 1/10th the content.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I was a PC elitist from like 1997- 2007 (~13-23 years old) and switched to primarily consoles mid-PS3/360 lifespan. In the late 90's I couldn't possibly justify investing heavily in console gaming because a) I was relying on Xmas largesse for hardware all the fucking time and b) PC games during that era were utterly incredible and lasted indefinitely. Games like Starcraft, UT 99, Everquest, Halflife and its mods, Baldur's Gate II, Diablo II, etc. When I got bored with the massive glut of incredible PC exclusives - some withextremelyrobust modding support like UT '99 that prolonged the lifetime of the game for years - I remained a PC fanatic for MMO's.

Then shit started to stagnate. WoW got boring, all MMO's became WoW, arena shooters died with the eventual decay of Quake III and UT 99, and the only PC games of interest to me were better (and really just prettier) versions of games designed for PS3 and 360. I started noticing - aside from the steady stream of MMO's that I found ever more mundane - that all the exclusives I was interested in were console only. I COULD steadfastly adhere to my PC elitism and play a prettier Dark Souls; I COULD do both that and have a console collect dust until a new exclusive came along. Instead I just switched to consdole, and haven't really regretted it.

I don't give a shit about graphics, really, and never have. If you do, don't make the switch. I just want to play the best games, and without the disposable time I had as a kid/college student, I can't play 'em all. But I can play a hell of a lot of them by just buying a damn console.

I'll have to concede that I'm a bit of a weird case in my gaming predilections, though, as my gaming conservatisim knows no bounds - 75% of what I play is jrpg's, so console was an easy, easy decision, and even that's slowly changing. Most Final Fantasy games have made the jump to PC, and hell, Tales, Grandia and other niche (in the US, anyway) series are hitting steam.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does PS4 play local media files yet? Like from USB? I know it didn't on launch.

Vorph

Yes, although from what I've read the 3.0 firmware was a bit of a step backwards since they integrated USB playback into the newer Media Player app. So it's harder now to play music off a USB stick while playing a game. Not something I ever used myself so I'm not sure of the details. I believe you can still do it, just you're not able to change tracks like you used to.

And the PS4 still has zero support for DTS outside of games and blu-rays which makes it vastly inferior to the PS3 in that area.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to be a Pc only gamer, buy then I got tired of spending $1500 on a rig and then every couple years a few hundred or more upgrading it. I got a ps3 and never looked back.

I still play mmos on my pc, but not nearly as much. All my games I get for ps4 now if I can. Sort of a "set it and forget it" type of purchase. Certain exclusives like blood borne really put the nail in the coffin.

Yeah I'm the resident Sony fan boy, but they really do put out a quality product.

That said I know nothing about the media capabilities, they have spotify and that's all I care about. The fact that it doubles as a Blu ray player is great too.

Ps3 has a ton of great exclusives and you can get a ps3.cheap.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, although from what I've read the 3.0 firmware was a bit of a step backwards since they integrated USB playback into the newer Media Player app. So it's harder now to play music off a USB stick while playing a game. Not something I ever used myself so I'm not sure of the details. I believe you can still do it, just you're not able to change tracks like you used to.

And the PS4 still has zero support for DTS outside of games and blu-rays which makes it vastly inferior to the PS3 in that area.
I really just want to know if it can play movies I torrent like the PS3 can. A big plus is if it can support typical .MKVs.

Vorph

I really just want to know if it can play movies I torrent like the PS3 can. A big plus is if it can support typical .MKVs.
MKV yes, DTS no, which makes it useless because only idiots who don't know what they doing encode movies with Dolby or AAC.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
As far as action and adventure games go...I used to really like Metal Gear (I think it was the first one for PS...maybe the second. It was a 2 disc version with a white cover and you had to change out the memory card when you fought Psycho Mantis). Tomb Raider 2 was a lot of fun (again that might've just been on PS1)...I really liked all of the Grand Theft Autos (even the one with the overhead map and that's how you played the game). But last night I played Mad Max and DragonAge: Inquisition on PS4 and I just wasn't into them at all. It almost felt dumbed down like all mmorpgs are today when you start out. The cut scenes, especially in DragonAge, were so annoying to me. Aside from GTA, do they still make the same kind of action/adventure games these days as the aforementioned? Skyrim I played on the PC but didn't like it. I beat the game but couldn't kill a fucking giant. Didn't make sense to me. I guess I just generally dislike button smashing games for that reason. And I think I played the first Drake game on PS3 and wasn't particularly fond of it. The only game I've played like this on PC that's also on PS is some Assassin's Creed games. I really enjoyed them on the PC. Sorry to resurrect a thread that's been dead for a week, just seems sports games are more my niche when console gaming these days unless I just tried two games that were super easy and easy to lose interest in. Maybe someone can take something away from this scatter-brained post and tell me specifically the genre of games that I like based on that list.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
My recommendations for you on PS4:

Divinity: Original Sin - coming out this month. A port from PC with old school RPG vibes and a great aesthetic.

Bloodborne - extremely difficult, minimal story/cutscenes, combat focused brawler. Awesome game.

Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition - Diablo reaches its pinnacle of fun on PS4 imho.

Rocket League - The best 'sports' game around right now. High skill ceiling, clean controls, quick matches. Just great fun.

GTA V - I hate the GTA games, but you like them, and GTA V is extremely well done.

The Witcher 3 - The definitive RPG of this generation so far and my Game of the Year. Excellent story and quests.

Dying Light - First person open world slasher with zombies, parkour, and adrenaline packed night gameplay. Very under rated.

Shadow of Mordor - you like Assassin's creed. This is a better version of that with a Lord of the Rings skin.

Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - Isometric action puzzle game with a Tomb Raider setting. Very decent.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Alternatively, all but Bloodborne are on PC. There's really not much reason to have consoles these days if you're an established PC gamer. It's really great.