This is 40

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Saw it tonight with the wife. We both found parts of the movie funny. But for the most part a very painful movie to watch as not only do you not care about any of the characters in this film, you'll find yourself disliking almost the entire cast.

Might be worth a rental, if you go into knowing there is more self centered whining than jokes. Although there are a few good laughs they're far outweighed by the pure negativity of this film.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Saw it tonight with the wife. We both found parts of the movie funny. But for the most part a very painful movie to watch as not only do you not care about any of the characters in this film, you'll find yourself disliking almost the entire cast.

Might be worth a rental, if you go into knowing there is more self centered whining than jokes. Although there are a few good laughs they're far outweighed by the pure negativity of this film.
100% agree, if I disagree with you at all, it would only be a more negative view of the film. I found it terribly boring. There was almost no plot - it was just people that were 40 years old having fights, while the protagonist or whatever is the threat of bankruptcy, which never really materialized. There were a few funny parts, but I found myself giving the frustrated "sighs" through most of the movie out of sheer boredom. As you said, I didn't give a shit about anyone in the movie.

This is definitely one to avoid in theaters, and should only be rented.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
This is not my type of movie but the top comment of that trailer crack me up so much :

I feel so bad for these rich? fucking white people. I hope they work their shit out.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So it's basically first world problems, the movie?
Yeah, honestly. You almost feel like Judd Apatow has no connection to the real world. The "issues" is that the white guy drives a BMW, and has literally a mansion with a beautiful garden, etc. He owns his own record label, but has not made any money on it yet because he signed one retarded artist and sold 600 "records." His wife has a store that couldn't account for $12,000. The kids all have iPads and iPhones and iShits, etc. They just have tons and tons of money, have their own personal trainers (in the movie, I kid you not), etc. When the main character is "down" on his luck, he takes a hand drawn cartoon by John Lennon to give to his dad to sell for some extra cash. Honestly you hope they go broke!

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
screener is out. hopefully it's not as bad as I've been hearing

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Funny People was fucking awful so let's hope that's not a better comparison.
Funny People was about 10x better than "this is 40." Take that for what it's worth!
smile.png

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Funny People was fucking awful so let's hope that's not a better comparison.
I finished watching it today and it's much much closer to Funny People than Knocked Up

I still enjoyed it though, but I really like Apatow's dialogue and it's definitely his weakest film (I liked FP though). His kids annoy the living shit out of me (as does his wife mostly) though but Rudd and Segal are always top notch in these.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
This movie is all about Rich white people problems as stated. Their only real "issue" is that they really cant fucking stand one another (husband and wife). They have pretty much nothing in common but their love for their kids. Some parts were ok, but lower and middle class would be like what the fuck is this shit with their bullshit ass problems. lol

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I just saw this with my wife, because of this thead I thought the movie was going to be complete shit. I was actually pleasantly surprised, probably because I had such low expectations & because I am closing in on 40, married with kids.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you want to watch a family argue with one another for about 2 hours then go watch this. That about all I can say about it.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
What were people expecting? Did nobody here watch the trailer before watching the movie? It's basically knocked up in twenty years. People have kids when they're in their twenties, have tons of first world problems and deal with minor conflicts while having some moderately funny moments throughout it. Basically exactly what I thought it'd be and much better than this thread would have you believe (while still being completely average)

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What were people expecting? Did nobody here watch the trailer before watching the movie? It's basically knocked up in twenty years. People have kids when they're in their twenties, have tons of first world problems and deal with minor conflicts while having some moderately funny moments throughout it. Basically exactly what I thought it'd be and much better than this thread would have you believe (while still being completely average)
I expected a hell of a lot less self centered whining.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Glad I wasn't the only person thinking, "This motherfucker has problems with a BMW and a master bedroom that is about the size of a small apartment? lol"