Times when a tabletop game went completely sideways?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
We should have a thread about that moment when a campaign went sideways/jumps the shark and goes from semi-serious to totally absurd, because it pretty much happens every time.

This is a good idea. Any good stories about D&D or any other games completely falling apart? Post them here.

I don't really have anything super crazy myself, except that I used to be really into HeroQuest. I would DM, and at first I didn't realize that you're only supposed to place monsters on the board as the PCs reach those rooms and "see" them. So I put as many monsters on the board as I could right from the get go and started moving them all at once towards the PCs.

Pretty soon the "campaign" devolved into this full-on traffic jam of EVERY MONSTER IN THE DUNGEON forming a line down the hallway towards wherever the heroes were trapped, fighting the heroes single-file as the game ground to an absolute halt and PCs started dying while being pushed back into dead-end rooms where the monster traffic jam would file in after them, 12 year old me moving all of them one at a time every round while everyone sat there.

It's amazing anyone came back to play level 2 with me.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Friend and I were playing a game that takes a lot of room, Heroscape. We were passing the defense and attack dice back and forth across the long table and it was annoying because of the distance. At some point we were like why are we passing them back and forth, just use the same dice, we know if we’re attacking or defending. We didn’t realize the attack dice had 3/6 sides with a hit and defense only had 2/6. So several games in a row he kicked my ass, I’m like man why am I rolling so bad so consistently. Then we counted the sides and lost it. Oops.