Togo (2019)

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Togo (2019)

Tagline: The Untold True Story

Genre: Drama, Adventure, Family

Director: Ericson Core

Cast: Willem Dafoe, Julianne Nicholson, Christopher Heyerdahl, Richard Dormer, Adrien Dorval, Madeline Wickins, Michael Greyeyes, Nive Nielsen, Nikolai Nikolaeff, Thorbjørn Harr, Catherine McGregor, Michael McElhatton, Michael Gaston

Release: 2019-12-20

Runtime: 113

Plot: The untold true story set in the winter of 1925 that takes you across the treacherous terrain of the Alaskan tundra for an exhilarating and uplifting adventure that will test the strength, courage and determination of one man, Leonhard Seppala, and his lead sled dog, Togo.

Siliconemelons

Was very enjoyable and I liked the back and forth narrative vs now - long flashback - now - maybe flash back snip - now/end -- you got to really see the related events and growth of 2 stories in one this way

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This was good and I liked all of the relentless puppy shenanigans quite a bit.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good movie, the ice shit shouldn't have been so extreme but other than that it was very good. Would have never known about it without this thread, thankyou

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gf put this on the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Willam Dafoe was a solid choice for it, and the puppy shenanigans were great / relatable.

Only one eyeroll moment
can a lake seriously go from frozen solid ~> breaking apart ~> melted/calm in the span of 2-3 days, during a blizard? Felt like they could have accomplished the same dramatic moment by having just one chunk of ice break at an inopportune moment and have a dog fall in or something

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Balto was one of my favorite movies as a kid and after watching this I know my entire life has been a fraud.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gf put this on the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Willam Dafoe was a solid choice for it, and the puppy shenanigans were great / relatable.

Only one eyeroll moment
can a lake seriously go from frozen solid ~> breaking apart ~> melted/calm in the span of 2-3 days, during a blizard? Felt like they could have accomplished the same dramatic moment by having just one chunk of ice break at an inopportune moment and have a dog fall in or something

Pretty sure that scene is roughly in line with Seppala's account of the trip though.

Also remember reading somewhere that Balto wasn't actually supposed to run the final leg but Kaasen skipped the final hand-off to take it in himself.

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm

Only one eyeroll moment
can a lake seriously go from frozen solid ~> breaking apart ~> melted/calm in koi the span of 2-3 days, during a blizard? Felt like they could have accomplished the same dramatic moment by having just one chunk of ice break at an inopportune moment and have a dog fall in or something

It wasn't a lake, it was the Norton Sound so I'm assuming stormy conditions on the Bering Sea could definitely destroy that ice pretty quickly (and supposedly that scene actually happened in real life, including the pulling of the ice chunk).

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Finally caught this. Good movie, kinda pissed me off in the end, but I guess that happens a lot with history.

Siliconemelons

Anyone notice the entire movie was framed and the now/flashbacks had different frames to match the different sepia tones to put you in the mood of Now/Then -they also changed the borders / flecks when it was "COLD" times and normal cold times.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally caught this. Good movie, kinda pissed me off in the end, but I guess that happens a lot with history.

I mean in all fairness, Balto and his team were rewarded for their fame by being chained up in cramped squalor for a couple years before they were rescued and lived out the rest of their days at the Cleveland Zoo, whereas Togo remained with Seppala until his death.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database