Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021)

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm only about 20 minutes into this so far but immediately had to come look for the FOH thread on it. I have read Without Remorse at least 5 times.
What the fuck? Why even bother calling it Without Remorse if it shares no plot with the book? One reason I liked the book so much was it was one man's redemption by going ham on a bunch of drug/human traffickers in his area. Now we have MBJ (who I am fine with) serving as a SEAL in a totally different war/era butting heads with CIA Ritter and now going to take on some international syndicate involving Russian Arms dealers, all while serving under a female Navy SEAL commander. Hollywood seems intent to turn everything to shit.

Can I at least get a scene where MBJ masquerades as a Hobo just to blow someone in half with a custom sawed off shotgun? Or stick some guy in a dive chamber and rupture all his joints, eyes, and ears before he dumps him on a beach somewhere to be found alive in that condition?

Edit: So his female SEAL commander's name is Greer. Maybe I missed it, but please tell me she is at least supposed to be Admiral Greer's daughter and they didn't make Greer a female SEAL in this version.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I'm only about 20 minutes into this so far but immediately had to come look for the FOH thread on it. I have read Without Remorse at least 5 times.
What the fuck? Why even bother calling it Without Remorse if it shares no plot with the book? One reason I liked the book so much was it was one man's redemption by going ham on a bunch of drug/human traffickers in his area. Now we have MBJ (who I am fine with) serving as a SEAL in a totally different war/era butting heads with CIA Ritter and now going to take on some international syndicate involving Russian Arms dealers, all while serving under a female Navy SEAL commander. Hollywood seems intent to turn everything to shit.

Can I at least get a scene where MBJ masquerades as a Hobo just to blow someone in half with a custom sawed off shotgun? Or stick some guy in a dive chamber and rupture all his joints, eyes, and ears before he dumps him on a beach somewhere to be found alive in that condition?

Edit: So his female SEAL commander's name is Greer. Maybe I missed it, but please tell me she is at least supposed to be Admiral Greer's daughter and they didn't make Greer a female SEAL in this version.
I had little hope for this movie as minus Red October Hollywood hasn't done any of his books justice and this is one of my favorites of his. That said this sounds like they just wanted to use the book title and Clancy's name to get this made.

Kiki

Log Wizard

It's his niece or some shit. They did make him a hobo for like 5 seconds for no fucking reason.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's his niece or some shit. They did make him a hobo for like 5 seconds for no fucking reason.

Just horrendous. I watched up to when they boarded the plane to go to Russia. Couldn't go any further with them totally ignoring the source material. I checked Rotten Tomatoes and not one critic even mentioned that the only relation to its source material were a few character names. The only reason the critics thought it was bad was because it was too formulaic and bland of a script. User reviews at least highlighted that fact a number of times.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Just horrendous. I watched up to when they boarded the plane to go to Russia. Couldn't go any further with them totally ignoring the source material. I checked Rotten Tomatoes and not one critic even mentioned that the only relation to its source material were a few character names. The only reason the critics thought it was bad was because it was too formulaic and bland of a script. User reviews at least highlighted that fact a number of times.

Its a shame really because Without Remorse was one of Clancy's books I always felt would be easy to make a movie straight out of...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The on screen notes popped up during the flight that this movie bore no relationship to the book.

1619820693670.png

Its a shame really because Without Remorse was one of Clancy's books I always felt would be easy to make a movie straight out of...

Sounds like it's been a non-starter for years.

1619820832770.png

Overall, this was not good. But I'm a white male so what value does my opinion actually have.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I tried. Gave up about 3 quarters in. Not enough action, too much back story and slow sections that I had to fast forward through.

Acting wasn't great but I think the real issue is that the writer, director and editor suck.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Red Storm Rising dropped the year prior to me going to college to study aeronautical engineering. My friend and roommate and fellow aero student actually got me started with Hunt for Red October and read RSR at the same time I did, our first semester of college. Several of our new fellow aero students saw us reading our copies before class and ended up buying their own and we'd all talk about it whenever we met in various classes. Including the ONE semi-attractive female in our major at that time. Not just the planes either, but the tanks, vehicles, etc. were all fascinating to us. Not only did it help us make quick friends with a lot of people that ended up being in many of our classes over the next four years, but it helped get me in that girl's pants. The book opened the door a crack, and while I'm nowhere near the hottest guy in that group, let alone any other group, it was the heavy metal that sealed the deal. Since we had a dorm conveniently located, many of the group projects ended up meeting at our place, and I always played heavy metal until it was time to work. For whatever reason, even though she'd never really heard it before, she dug it. I'd like to think she just wanted my D and would have used any excuse, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I've got that kind of game or looks. So the combination of Megadeth and Tom Clancy gave me my first college "adult" experience! I can't even think about that book without reminiscing about those days. So good for so many reasons.

I think I'll re-read it soon now too, it has been at least a decade I think.

A mini-series of Red Storm Rising with a big budget and some good actors would rank right up there with an epic Elric and Black Company series for me.

Cool story

• 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 user

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
In Jack Ryan on Amazon, there is a theory that this guy was based on John Clark.

View attachment 339887

And Without Remorse is his origin story so it makes sense to start there.
That dude got killed in season 2, so he cant be clark. I’m pretty sure they are tying in the movie to the next season of jack ryan, so michael b. Jordan is probably gonna be this guys successor as The John Clark

• 1Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>

She is a seal, but she is greer’s niece i think.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched that for the first time a couple weeks ago, really liked it.

But that gun Dafoe is holding though l o l. I get that its total hollywood retardation of "ooh we gotta have this super secret guy use something super secret looking!" but the gun nerd in me just facepalm when I see him with it. That thing was a joke gun designed to get around the idiotic 1994 AWB

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The wakandan commander woman is a terrible actress.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
How are you going to make a movie called Without Remorse and NOT include the decompression chamber scene from the book? This was just MBJ fucking people up, not a Tom Clancy book. As a movie it was good. As Tom Clancy's Without Remorse it was a hot dumpster fire.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I know nothing about Tom Clany novels.

This movie was decidedly average. The marine colonel lady was absolutely atrocious at all times and drags the entire movie down around her. Main guy is pretty decent.

The plot is pretty generic but isn't nonsensical or anything. Overall it's fine if you dig this kind of movie, but certainly nothing to write home about.