Total War Saga: Troy

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

TLDR;

1. Release 2020
2. Will incorporate Gods and Mythical Creatures, but in a historical setting. Like a "monstrous" unit that might look like a minotaur is just a massive human with a stag helmet, and worshiping gods and godesses incur benefits such as good weather and calamity level events to your enemies (or maybe yourself if you neglect worship)
3. No horses/calvary, some chariots but probably very small unit size
4. Units can switch weapons, more interaction with terrain as well (mud that slows was given as an example)
5. Hero system similar to 3 Kingdoms, with duels and RPGish elements similar as well
6. Resource system more micro oriented with cashless system, and resources such as food/wood/stone etc that is needed to maintain infrastructure and armies
7. Greater difference between heavy/medium/light infantry
8. Very much an infantry style game with absence of cavalry
9. No ships, but agents abound
10. Diplomacy similar to 3 kingdoms, which has been known to be the best in the series

The past total wars have been nothing short of amazing since Shogun 2. I am definitely looking forward to this, and Warhammer 3. Of course Warhammer 3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The bullshit they spouted about that was all kinds of comedy. "We want to expand to other platforms and be platform agnostic, so we're going to limit it to one platform while ignoring all the others. Nevermind the big bag of cash Epic handed us, as we had no confidence in the product anyway and this lets it not be a complete flop"

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
well.... hmmm

mcli1cgjfi251.jpg

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I remembered to grab Total War Saga: TROY this morning, and I'm glad I did - it's actually pretty fun so far. If you didn't get it for free, however, I'm not sure yet if it's worth the full $50 price. Particularly if you don't want to touch the Epic Games Store.

One immediate plus is performance; it appears to be pretty well optimized, and is running well even on my aging rig. I'm easily getting a consistent 60+ fps on 3440x1440, with only a few of the more fancy pants graphics settings (like SSAO and Reflections) turned down from Ultra to High.

Compare that to Horizon: Zero Dawn, where my old watercooled 980 TIs in SLI struggle to break 40fps. Well, one of them does, anyway. The second card sits there like a neglected orphan, slowly idling away. Not that TWS: TROY has SLI support; I guess no one does anymore, but at least it's running smoothly for me.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
After playing a bit this past weekend, it turns out that TWS: TROY is a busted mess in its current state. I'll let Legend of Total War cover the details, but the gist of it is that the diplomacy/trade is utterly exploitable and that chariots are massively OP:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
After playing a bit this past weekend, it turns out that TWS: TROY is a busted mess in its current state. I'll let Legend of Total War cover the details, but the gist of it is that the diplomacy/trade is utterly exploitable and that chariots are massively OP:

TW games are always complete busted at the outset. It's always best to give it a year or until the first major DLC.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Here's another one, that works for Troy and TW War 2 and he suspects 3 Kingdoms too:

tldr: when you can see the AI doing something during your end turn, press backspace and it stops them

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
probably the most polished TW ever but I think I'm done with the franchise, it's just pure laziness at this point. I always knew that the AI got crazy bonuses but having all of the numbers present to see has kind of ruined most of this for me. A faction with one province that has 200k+ food saved up and 50k+ of everything else but gold is insane and kind of just flaunting that the AI has no economy restriction and no upkeep. Has the same issue as 3k where units, with the exception of mythical, are essentially all the same but have different numbers attached. It's fun when it has that new car smell but once you settle in it's the same mid to late game slog that all of their other games have been. Zero innovation involved just re-skin 3k and release

The Benny Hill sprinting across the map is also terrible. Mostly removed cav because it was OP in 3k but they replaced it with med infantry that can sprint across an entire map in a few seconds