Total War series

Sulrn

Deuces
In almost every single dev diary they said they were talking about putting more into R2 than anything previously. This happens when you shoot for the moon but you don't actually put in the table time to plan it all out and then war game it for holes.

I completely agree with the depth and weight of choices comment of CK/EU vs TW though. I've only played CK2 and nothing in TW equates to the weight and factors in something as simple as deciding on some of the Feast event choices that pop up in CK2.

I don't think patches are going to save this game. I think it is a great devkit for modders to play with, but I think real resolution won't come out until you see them throw an expac or a new game out.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There's a difference between having a game where depth adds to the experience and your choices feel meaningful versus adding a lot of elements that dont seem to mesh well and where your choices seem either inconsequential or not choices at all.

So aside from your condescending tone trying to affirm your higher grasp for a concept that isn't very complicated, I'll answer your comments with saying that Total War Rome 2 suffers from having a lot of choices that dont feel impactful and actualy deter from the playing experience.

look at games from paradox like CK2 or EU4. Those are marvelous games with a LOT more depth than rome 2 has, yet everything meshes extremely well together and almost all the choices you make have a clear impact on the game. So in turn your actions feel meaningful and every decision you make feelsl ike it has weight. I do not get that from Total War at all unless I try to force myself into looking for them.

This is probably why so many people have given this game a bad review aside from the shady start. Whereas for the most part Shogun 2 "geled" when yo uplayed it and almost everything made sense (minus the massive amount of bugs), this game suffers from a case of wanting to do too much and nothing really feeling like it meshes well.

I feel this can be corrected with patches that improve on making choices more impactful (the whole tech tree is a mess at the moment, never have i cared so little for tech choices in a game).

But thats just my limited intellect talking, i not understand complex creative assembly games derp derp..
Except that, the thing I was commenting on (the province/squalor/food system) is the one major change that brings much more meaning and impact the the empire management part of the Total War series, which is notoriously weak. It makes perfect sense that the empire management part of the game would be more simple than an actual empire management game since you don't want to keep people away from the real-time battles for too long. Now there are people that play Total War like an empire management game, auto-resolving every battle, and people are welcome to play it however they want, but they would probably enjoy something like CK2 or EU4 more.

Now since you, for some reason, construe my defense of that system for me somehow loving everything about the game then yes the tech tree is a weak. Also, they need to let the computer cheat WAY more on the harder difficulty settings like it did in Shogun 2.

Overall this game is the best in the series.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Major necro, but CA just started an open beta (opt in on steam) for a pretty massive patch plus futere DLC for rome 2. While Rome 2 had a beyond horrible release the game is currently in a pretty great state and this looks to only make it better.

Total War: ROME II - Ancestral Update - Total War

The big ones for me would be:

Return of the family tree
Complete reworking of the skills tree for all agents and generals (including culture specific traits and actions)
Graphical update
More aggressive AI/AI composes armies in a better fashion.

Sure its an older game but seeing as how it will have received two major and one minor dlc the last year plus one huge content patch I think those who used to play the game or enjoy the era might enjoy checking it out.

Fanatical.com has the whole total war franchise on sale until monday for those who don't want to pay full price for a five year old game (or warhammer if you didn't catch the steam summer sale).