Total War: Warhammer

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
My first campaign was(is) Morathi, and it's been fun so far. I didn't get the early mobbing from Ulthuan that I'm used to from ME, maybe N'Kari keeps them busy, so I actually went frog hunting first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Never got around to playing Tehenhauin in game 2, I think Kroq'Gar and Mazdamundi were my only lizardmen campaigns. Cult of Sotek is amazing - a few of those sacrificial followers that grant -15% construction cost to all buildings and suddenly lizardmen are rich. Still annoyed by minor settlements, but at least Legendary autoresolve isn't as retarded as it was in RoC. Haven't really had to fight many of them.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Best Ghorst tip I got was apparently save his talent points until lvl 12 then blow them all on his unique lines? I gotta look and see if that's actually viable.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
In my single player, I am having a blast as Volkmar. If you are able to get the closest book of Nagash to him, all of his, and the rest of his faction's, battle prayers are reduced majorly. Not to mention I believe his quest equipment also reduces his battle prayer CDs.. So basically his pb bombardment, can be chained summoned over and over and over. On his alter, he still isnt a great duelist, but that is what the hero warrior priests are for to be fighting with him to help assist in taking down lords and heroes.

In a duo coop, I am playing Wurzzag. Its been alright. Not being able to imbed a lord into the waaaaagh army really cuts the balls off of his movement. I've spent a lot of my time chasing down Skarsnik and other minor greenskin lords. However, I do control a lot of the southlands, basically everything west of the south worlds edge mountains to the west coast, and as far as south as K8P and as far north as KaK.

In a three man coop, I am having a blast as Ungrim. Still pissed about Isabella's trait being essentially removed. That is going into the book and never going to be striked from it. They have also changed the Rune of Adamant from giving 10% HP to it now giving 50 Armor iirc. That is also going into the book.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I think 2 points invocation of Nehek, 1 point passive heal, 3 points infantry battle skills is still then save for his level 12 skills is optimal build. Master of undead and +5 leadership skills are great too

• 1Like

Muurloen

In my single player, I am having a blast as Volkmar. If you are able to get the closest book of Nagash to him, all of his, and the rest of his faction's, battle prayers are reduced majorly. Not to mention I believe his quest equipment also reduces his battle prayer CDs.. So basically his pb bombardment, can be chained summoned over and over and over. On his alter, he still isnt a great duelist, but that is what the hero warrior priests are for to be fighting with him to help assist in taking down lords and heroes.

In a duo coop, I am playing Wurzzag. Its been alright. Not being able to imbed a lord into the waaaaagh army really cuts the balls off of his movement. I've spent a lot of my time chasing down Skarsnik and other minor greenskin lords. However, I do control a lot of the southlands, basically everything west of the south worlds edge mountains to the west coast, and as far as south as K8P and as far north as KaK.

In a three man coop, I am having a blast as Ungrim. Still pissed about Isabella's trait being essentially removed. That is going into the book and never going to be striked from it. They have also changed the Rune of Adamant from giving 10% HP to it now giving 50 Armor iirc. That is also going into the book.
Gonna write a litle for Volkmar as he is the further campaign I have.

He start is unbelievably strong too. While his starting province of Sudenberg is quite rich (has both furs and wine for trade, and ports for both settlements), the neighboring east province is even more rich as you are at first going to be fighting a minor Tomb King faction, and then eventually Manfred. This province can grow super fast with it having pastures in the main settlement, pastures now gives gold as well now so it isnt a wasted slot, and one of the minor settlement has diamonds.

From there my intention was to go after Tiktaqto, but he has proven to be a good shield against Kairos, has killed the nearby wood elves and is now off to war with Kroq-gar. Which is fine by me.

With that said I then turned my attention west to go collect a Book of Nagash, cleared out another minor Tomb King with taking. Repanse for some reason went to war with me, I killed her and took those minor settlements within that valley, but I didnt take her completely out as I made peace with her for now. I then swung around to kill Arkhan, took his province in full and closed out that minor dwarf faction to finish the province that I took from Repanse.

I am around turn 50. Gonna develop these two new provinces, and start cranking out the warrior priests to doom stack Volkmar. After that I am not sure what my next move is.... maybe go hunt for another book. Closest one is either in Skavenblight or go for the one Khalida has.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm so after a few more turns as expected the endgame event popped, spent the 10 turns clearing out some lizards out of my island and slapping tiqtakto and teclis off my shit and sacked/razed their stuff salting earth style so they wouldn't bother me, raised an additional army, positionned everyone in each corner of my stuff but not too far so they could move around and... nothing happened when the countdown ended?

A bunch of orcs declared war on me and I got an ultimate mission popup saying I have to destroy them but nothing else? I kinda expected random ass stacks of orcs spawning directly around me like the previous games, did they remove that crap? There's even building upgrades to prevent it(or is it only for the normal TW3 campaign mechanic?).

Pretty anticlimatic and I basically wasted 10turns(well not the whole thing, but half of it was passing on a couple of armies since I didn't want them to be out of position). Are they coming down with a bunch of stacks? Will stacks spawn in my shit later on? I tried passing a turn see if something happened the turn after but nothing I could see, just some neutral orc bands that spawned at the start of the event running around. If it's nothing I'll probably reload an autosave from a few turns back and play more agressive.

Edit: Oh checked one of Legendoftotalwar videos and yeah it's just big stacks it looks like, but I guess they spawned really far from me. Guess I'll replay the last few turns and then start heading north destroying shit on the way so I can soften them up as they go south.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
From there my intention was to go after Tiktaqto, but he has proven to be a good shield against Kairos, has killed the nearby wood elves and is now off to war with Kroq-gar. Which is fine by me.
dat defeat trait tho

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Looks like you need the long campaign victory for the steam achievement for completion in IE

Just got the short vic as Ghorst on legendary and nada

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah, here ya go I guess - one of these people did the whole ultimate victory thing and nothin.

stern cringe

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I hope they continue to make changes so every LL is a fun and rewarding campaign. I love what they did with Volkmar, Ghorst, and the white dwarf in IE and hope they continue to make changes to lords like Skarsnik, Treach, and Khatep. Some of those LL’s in WH2 were painful to play for reasons other then a challenge and/or masochism. It is possible to make both a challenging and fun and rewarding campaign. So far I really like the direction they’ve been going IE and hope they keep it up. A fix to towers and barricades that keep fucking up my pathing would be nice. Overall i feel like someone is at the helm now that doesn’t have their head up their ass. Anyone have any good minor settlement battle mod to recommend yet?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Muurloen

I hope they continue to make changes so every LL is a fun and rewarding campaign. I love what they did with Volkmar, Ghorst, and the white dwarf in IE and hope they continue to make changes to lords like Skarsnik, Treach, and Khatep. Some of those LL’s in WH2 were painful to play for reasons other then a challenge and/or masochism. It is possible to make both a challenging and fun and rewarding campaign. So far I really like the direction they’ve been going IE and hope they keep it up. A fix to towers and barricades that keep fucking up my pathing would be nice. Overall i feel like someone is at the helm now that doesn’t have their head up their ass. Anyone have any good minor settlement battle mod to recommend yet?

---

This also reminds me of an event that happened in my Wurrzag coop campaign. I had a single gobbo warboss lord in a settlement defending an attack, along with the garrison, from the minor skaven faction that starts off owning Black Crag. It was basically an 16 stack of Skaven taking on my 8 stack w/towers. I highly expected to lose this fight horribly and just wanted to inflict as much damage as I could to this army so I could follow it up with a near by full stack and retake the settlement.

During the middle of the fight, the game wigs out and the best way to describe is that for every gametime of 1 second would pass, 12+ seconds real time would have to pass. I cycled the game speed between pausing, 4x speed, 2x speed, normal etc etc. It did eventually clear. However the AI stopped engaging. They just didnt advance and stayed at the entrances to the settlement while getting shot up by the towers. Needless to say I won the fight, but the AI has been acting really strange in battle since then.

It was very weird, but I'll take that win anytime.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I found in my current playthrough that early game the settlements towers were really fucking annoying and got me to lose/almost lose some fights, but as the game progressed they kinda stopped mattering. Partly because I can send flying units to destroy them quickly if needed, and partly because their damage seems a lot lower somehow(maybe gear and stuff on my lords who tend to be the target since they're flying). So overall I haven't minded so much, but it could definitely use some tweaks on how fast the towers respawn and stuff it can be annoying especially with melee centric factions when you're battling out in a big moshpit shit and there's towers being built all around over time.

Haven't looked into it but that mod above seems like it'd need some rebalancing of towers defenses to compensate. They die way too quickly for a one time thing I'd say. Maybe tie it to settlement level+defense building because mid/lategame with decent ranged units or flying units, you can take towers down in seconds and at that point they might as well not exist if they don't respawn.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
One complaint about how I dominated as Ghorst, one of them mind you, is the AI does not seem to know how to properly assess his garrisons and will torpedo their smaller armies thinking the garrisoned units are regular strength versions of themselves

Anyone ever building a barricade over a tower on defense? Almost never here...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One complaint about how I dominated as Ghorst, one of them mind you, is the AI does not seem to know how to properly assess his garrisons and will torpedo their smaller armies thinking the garrisoned units are regular strength versions of themselves

They are regular strength aren't they? Or do you mean the AI will try to attack a settlement without accounting for towers making the defending army stronger than they are? I can see that, although I've found the AI also does the opposite sometimes, I've had them spend 3 turns weakening my settlement's garrison even though there was no way in hell I would have won that fight even at full health, but eh more time to figure out a solution.

I tried making some barricades in one of these where I had like 6 units defending against a stack, thought maybe I make enough barricades+towers to win but it takes way too many ressources to barricade everything and the towers don't kill stuff fast enough so it was a waste of time. They definitely feel worthless, in fact they also feel worthless when the AI builds them. I like the idea of them but it's too easy to just destroy them(if it's the blocking type) or just go around if you want to. I think traps would probably be better, that or making the blocking barricade MUCH tankier, but also making them one time only and limited(like you get 1 or 2 barricade per fight only, but you can realistically block a path to make a chokepoint, versus a 3secs bumper like now).

Overall though I don't mind the whole thing, after all I heard about the settlement fights when I started I thought maybe I should look into a mod for it but ultimately it hasn't been so bad imo. It is a lot of settlement fights compared to before but since I autoresolve a fair few of them, it doesn't feel as bad and I still get a good amount of open fights too. I just wish it was easier to position units in those close areas, it feels the walls have several meters of invisible padding preventing unit placement and shit, so if you try to move 8 units and orient them in a direction it's a huge pain without taking them one by one.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider

They are very situational for me, hardly ever use them. I hate when the AI uses them because they cause so many issues with pathing. Another big complaint of mine is the settlement design with so many narrow pathways. TW:WH does so much better with open spaces and almost all settlement have tons of narrow pathways that are a nightmare and invariably just cause mob pile ups. Makes spells like pit of shades and Morris engine super OP if you have them and a awful slog if you don’t. My favorite siege battle in WH:2 was that one wide open high elf siege map that had tons of room to maneuver Calvary charges and other tactics.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There's some factionwide buffs to skeletons and zombies. Enough their calculated near victory becomes a close loss that will gladly ram headlong into for an ez auto resolve and free dark magic $

Happened to the rat shit stacks, orc horde factions and beasties that roamed deep. I was sweaty on the roaming beasties cuz I was split in 3 directions but they suicides for free moneys. Auto resolved np.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1661926771018.png

And it can never be taken from me

It took 4 attempts of things breaking because of a patch or bug

You'll never know what it means to me, fucking Skarsnik TW2

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users