TOXIKK - return to old school FPS

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This is a good example of how nostalgia can often lead us astray. There's a reason old school FPS feels like playing in "1999," and it's not because people don't like playing fun game anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool if this is your thing, but I wouldn't expect wide adoption from kids who were in diapers when Doom, Quake, and Unreal Tournament were king.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
Double jump stuff was never good imo. Not sure how that ever caught on. If this didnt have that, id be on it, but sadly it does.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dont expect it to be widely accepted since the majority of the kids nowadays first FPS was either CoD or SOCOM. Both of which are good titles in their own right but gameplay on the former has deteriorated and the latter is no longer in existence. However so long as the gameplay is something akin to solid it will have its followers who cherish that style of gameplay. I may give it a whirl but i dont play many FPS on PC anymore outside of BF4.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm nostalgic for the oldschool fps as the next guy, but arena shooters need critical mass of people to work, so that you get balanced matches, dedicated servers for good ping and hacker protection so that you don't get screwed by idiots. Then it still needs to somehow make money while not compromising the gameplay and you end up with a pretty loaded checklist to make it work and they are even more similar than MOBAs, so people can jump ship literally overnight, so you rarely end up with more than 1 leader. Q3 and UT 2004 were like the only 2 shooters that coexisted.

You also have to make it F2P or like 10$ otherwise you will never get critical mass.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This seems like it's almost there. But two things:

1) Vehicles? Really?

2) I almost want to write it off because of their stupid fucking names. Reakktor Studios, and Toxikk. Fuck's sake.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah remove vehicles and double jump. Rocket jump, grenade jump, trimp are what I think of as 1999.

Szlia

In 1999 people were playing Counter Strike, in which reload was critical and bunny hopping frowned upon. No regeneration, no cover mechanism, no class, no level... but free to play!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004? which introduced vehicles, they were fucking good fun and really well balanced. The onslaught mode which used them was amazing.

I have no idea if the last 10 years of gaming has had anything like that as I haven't played an FPS since
biggrin.png

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Double jump I don't mind so much but bunny hopping? That right there can die from HIV/AIDS, Ebola, Hep A-Z, cancer, and gonorrhea.

And I agree all the names involved are just absolutely stupid. Is the company created/run by 15 year olds?

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
I don't know why UT3 didn't catch on as much as 2k4 as I really enjoyed it, but I've been eagerly awaiting something similar for a while. UT4 is probably a ways out, so I'll take this for now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Every game (especially MMOs) should have Halflife1-style bunny hopping. It's like cheat codes that you have to not be a noob to be able to enter.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004? which introduced vehicles, they were fucking good fun and really well balanced. The onslaught mode which used them was amazing.

I have no idea if the last 10 years of gaming has had anything like that as I haven't played an FPS since
biggrin.png
Halo(sort of) but yeah UT 2004 was amazing.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Quake for life. I still have 400 or so recorded q3 matches with my roommate.

I'll duel anyone for tuconets.