Treme Season 4

Szlia

A friendly reminder for those who, like me, enjoy this odd mix of music, television and sociology: the fourth season of Treme started last Sunday.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This show is kind of a mess but I do enjoy it enough. I need to catch up I fell behind somewhere in the middle of season 3. Is season 4 the last one?

Szlia

Wikipedia tells me it's a final 5 episodes season. I wonder how they will fix New Orleans in only 4 episodes!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Wikipedia tells me it's a final 5 episodes season. I wonder how they will fix New Orleans in only 4 episodes!
They won't!

lol, I know you were also being facetious btw :p . Supposedly HBO didn't even want this season, but the Producer pushed for it and they gave him a half a season.

I do really like this show, and this was a great episode. I already feel bad for Hildago, he's hoping to make his money back through the property he owns. Ouch, that's not going to turn out well for him. The property depression in both Texas and Louisiana was actually worse than other parts of the country because of all the post hurricane money being dried up after the senate inquiries began, along with what happened everywhere else, when all the quick turn over bank money evaporated because all the bullshit they used to sell it on Wall Street was coming to light. Though I do like how he's yelling at his broker to sell, and the broker is telling him to wait: That actually happened to a few "mid range" people (More than a few million in the market), where the companies kept them in the market to prevent further systemic collapse, even after they pushed to be taken out.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's kind of funny how they've had to bring the characters together more and more in this show to keep it more interesting. Not a big criticism as I still like the show. Will be interesting to see how they wrap it up.

Good point Lithose about the broker... that's a nice tie in that didn't occur to me.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Nooooo Freeman.

God I felt so bad for Bunk and the middle school girl too, fuck
frown.png

This show went from mildly depressing to full on "fuck my life" quick.

Szlia

I found the 'teaching an actor how to fake playing trombone' storyline a bit ballsy and maybe a tad too meta considering Wendell Pierce is not a trombone player (but he probably had more than a day to learn faking it).

But yeah, great episode. I found the Big Chief losing his sense of taste particularly disheartening after all the time spent showing how central food is to the local culture.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I found the Big Chief losing his sense of taste particularly disheartening after all the time spent showing how central food is to the local culture.
I'm glad they brought this up. When we lost my brother, as Italians, this was huge (Like half of our life is centered around the dinner table)--you don't realize it, but the worst part of cancer are the things you take for granted that it takes away. Chemo absolutely ruins your sense of taste.

Big Chief's death this week was brutal, too
frown.png
. I've never seen a more accurate portrayal of a cancer loss on a show. It's pretty much exactly how they describe. For a while, usually, the person does better--then they get a little worse but seem stable. Then one day they collapse, and it's usually a couple weeks at most before they are gone. Was a really difficult episode to get through because of how realistic it was.

Really going to miss this show.

Szlia

This episode left me wondering... what is this show? It's almost a chronicle. I can't think of anything much like it.

Szlia

Great ending for what will remain a great show. More: an important show. The writing really is phenomenal, because it manages to give an extreme feeling of reality to the fiction by shedding or hiding most of the usual devices (to the point you almost forget it is a fiction - see below for an example), but at the same time almost every single scene is carefully crafted to say something more than meet the eyes.

Example: Terry's testimony. In a run-of-the-mill fiction, Terry's testimony would be a narrative climax, an opportunity to use a wealth of court room drama trope. Maybe Terry would have a long and poignant monologue against the corruption in New Orleans, maybe there would be an unexpected twist during the proceedings. What we get here is a very brief scene that only informs us the testimony happened and that emphasize the 'facing the citizens' nature of a Grand Jury. It's hard to be more anti-dramatic, but that's what is so effective and smart about it.