Triple Frontier (2019)

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Hunnam needs to stop being such a fucking Hipster and hire a real acting coach. He is close, but he's got that horrible and ridiculous swagger in everything he does that just makes him cringy when he is on screen for too long.

I like him, but he's got a way to go.

On point, I plan on watching this this week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Pretty sure the first hour of the movie is a straight up injection of American middle aged masculinity into other mens veins. Heavy metal, gun fights, cool speeches, hot chick and lots of money. Though it all gets fucked up by the most middle aged out one of them in Affleck who lets his greed fuck it all up. Think the change from heist to survival is not what people expected, I thought the director did a good job with it as he doesn't short cut it.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trendy director (Margin Call, A Most Violent Year) makes an action movie with trendy cast (Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Pedro Pascal) and trendy "operator" scenarist Mark Boal (In The Valley Of Elah, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, Detroit), produced by trendy Kathryn Bigelow (Strange Days, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty). How that could go wrong ?

Interesting setup, dumb action (the heist is so phoned up and fake you could sell a shampoo there, also going full metal gear solid without suppressors), dragged as fuck intrigue about Mordor mountains even the eagles could fly over, some unreachable goal at the satellite age, two kids being ultimate mountain hunters and redeemable ending "leave no men behind though we came for money lol".

Triple Frontier crosses a lot of frontiers indeed, it's never a satisfying action movie, it's not really a thriller and it's definitely not a good movie. It's merely a hangover sunday flick you'd watch doing anything more interesting clipping your toenails or folding your laundry.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It wasnt the shittiest I have seen lately. The wife asked "why are they staying when they already have 100 million?". Having never been in the position I cant know if greed would make me stupid for another 150 million. But I will say the sound track was amazing. Even used Orion for the credit roll.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So a few problems with this flick I had....

Drug lord sends all his guards and family to church, leaves behind 2 guards? Real drug lord would have a fucking army pacing around that fucking compound plus another army inside, with mortars, grenades, greande launchers, and other shit we probably cannot even think of. Very underwhelming when it came to that. Then the guards return and there is like 5 of them? Like seriously, guarding a bilion cash?

So then the chopper goes down and thy decide on a 5 day treck through the mountains with donkeys? Like serously? Then to top it all off they get rid of the donkeys and decide to carry 50+ fucking bags of cash by hand? 100 meters at a time? Plus all the other shit that they never discuss, like food, water, THE FUCKING DUDE THAT GOT GUT SHOT? etc... Sorry but that trip would be a few weeks at best, considering.

Sorry, im one of the last ones that needs believable shit in movies as im really quick to put on my disbelief hat and overlook shit in movies, but this one just cannot do.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the movie was passable. it COULD have been a lot better if a few things were addressed differently... for example, oscar isaac's characters makes a huge stink about ben affleck not getting what a hero deserves, about how he took bullets for his country, but can't afford to send his daughter to college... but ben affleck never says that, so it makes his drive for greed feel incredibly forced. if instead HE said that line at the moment he decided to keep taking more money, i think it would have had a lot more impact.

also, i feel like this movie REALLY would have benefited from better dialogue. it wasn't BAD dialogue, it just wasn't memorable at all.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Drug lord sends all his guards and family to church, leaves behind 2 guards? Real drug lord would have a fucking army pacing around that fucking compound plus another army inside, with mortars, grenades, greande launchers, and other shit we probably cannot even think of. Very underwhelming when it came to that. Then the guards return and there is like 5 of them? Like seriously, guarding a bilion cash?

I call that the "Metal Gear", where your topnotch heist plan is gonna be heavily fostered upon some blatant security loophole, aka "guards are away for some dumb reason". It's 21st century, you're an evil druglord living in a remote, entrenched fortress with load of cash, let's keep it safe with five-to-six lazy honchos and 1990' security devices. What could go wrong ?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They can dump millions of dollars on actors, sets, directors, cameras, lighting, special effects, and stunts, but we can't spare a few hundred thousand on a few writers in a room that know anything about story pacing, an ending, or structure?
Even just the dialog is awful.

I think they didn't even have a writer.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think they didn't even have a writer.

They had both Mark Boal (In The Valley Of Elah, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty) and J.C. Chandor (Margin Call, A Most Violent Year) which writing wise is as good as it gets.