Trout Fishing (First Time)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Planning to do some trout fishing in Colorado and looking for some advice for a first timer.

- Will be confined to stocked lakes
- Will be using a spinner rod
- Planning to tie a hook about 18" up from a sinker
- Using Fire Bait and/or worms

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
When are you going? Hopefully soon, by the end of summer/early fall often you'll find the streams/ponds "fished out". Where will you be? Out by Edwards area? Get a cheap set of fly's on amazon, I'd also recommend an outfitter at least for like a morning to get your bearings. Once you learn the basics it's really pretty easy and to me about as much "fun" (I'm boring) as you can have fishing. Try to get in some streams/creeks and chill out. What kind of trout are you looking to hit? Rainbow is good right now and probably the easiest to fish as they're real plentiful and greedy

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
When are you going? Hopefully soon, by the end of summer/early fall often you'll find the streams/ponds "fished out". Where will you be? Out by Edwards area? Get a cheap set of fly's on amazon, I'd also recommend an outfitter at least for like a morning to get your bearings. Once you learn the basics it's really pretty easy and to me about as much "fun" (I'm boring) as you can have fishing. Try to get in some streams/creeks and chill out. What kind of trout are you looking to hit? Rainbow is good right now and probably the easiest to fish as they're real plentiful and greedy

The lakes I am looking at are in SW Colorado around Durango/Ophir/Silverton/Ouray and are stocked with Rainbow, Brooke, and Cutthroat. Won't be doing any fly fishing though.

Found these two links to be helpful: