Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
What do you mean? Rift made them and is currently making them money. You seem to be confused here. Does successful only equate to a game that you like?
Didn't most people leave this game in a few months, then server merges now f2p ? ... I call successful a Climbing user base over time... They made a lobby game with 2 tiny cities and a linear leveling path to the treadmill. pretty weak. They copied WoW to the letter but left out copying one of WoW's best traits, a big immersive world where you can level 2 chars and not duplicate your path ( mostly ).

There is a reason most of us are not playing RIFT i thought, or should we go back for another go ? My guess is not with the neutered souls/classes and the rush everyone to end game design...

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Just curious, are you happy with how Rift ran on your computer?

The vast majority of people I know that played had the same complaint; this game is sluggish (they always couch it as 'something's wrong, idk'). I know it's the Gamebryo engine like they used in Warhammer (another sluggish casting/laggy game) but they supposedly 'heavily modified' it and it seems they still suck at it.

Same computer than can run any number of other mmos perfectly fine (including FFXIV) has some of the worst optimization I've seen.

edit: several years later still
RIFT always ran very well for me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm not trying to say the game is having acclaimed success or anything. They made back their initial investment, the game has a healthy userbase and a growing amount of people playing the game as it went free to play. It launched an expansion too that was met with some success to a broader audience.

It's not like the game is a failure or anything. It's just another MMORPG out there in the market that was probably the best "wow-clone" out there. They probably had one of the best development teams out there as far as content generation is concerned until Arenanet took that crown. It's a pretty middle of the road game, nothing amazing, nothing terrible. You want terrible you just have to look at games like Aion, Warhammer, anything Funcom made, SWTOR (because of initial their budget, Rift was made with like 10% of that).

Some of your facts are a little off with the game. After Ember Island, their world design was pretty fantastic and it's a shame the game didn't launch with more of that.

There is a reason most of us are not playing RIFT i thought, or should we go back for another go ? My guess is not with the neutered souls/classes and the rush everyone to end game design...
There are a bunch of reasons why Rift isn't played. If you haven't played in quite some time, I think it's worth playing for an afternoon to check out again. The most efficient way to level these days is doing dungeons and Instant Adventures. No one does quests any more until you get to the expansion content.

I wouldn't call the classes neutered, I personally didn't like the direction their design was going. Also, I hate their AA system. It's garbage.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Intentional or not Trion nailed the warlock/cholo build I had. It was a blast to AE and took some thought to put together/play with. If they would of nailed that kind of depth and fun with other builds it could of been great. They just came up short with other souls. Pryo was a big disappointment early on as it didn't play up to its intended class as a burst DPS. I remember thinking it would of been a great soul for the second boss in greenscale with the timed part but it failed miserably.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
When the expansion came out I leveled a cleric. The new cleric soul was a blast to play.
well shit... now you are making me think about going back for a look
wink.png

Bruman

Golden Squire
Really expensive alpha access.
"founder Packs" sort of. $5, $20, $50, $100 tiers.

http://www.trovegame.com/support-trove/
Edit: You left out the other tiers! $200 is instant alpha access, and there's $1000 and $2500 levels too.

I don't like being right
frown.png

At least they give you a chance at the $20 level even. This really feels like a "EQN is charging for alpha and people are paying? Shit, lets announce quickly, and start getting some money too!"

iannis

Musty Nester
It always ran extremely smooth for me. It's one thing that was great about the game, the client was really well done. I never heard of anyone having significant issues with the game.
Yeah, me too. Performance just wasn't an issue with Rift. The only issue I even remember is that very, very rarely there would be command lag after a patch.

ALTHOUGH -- I did hear that complaint about performance occassionally, and whenever I heard it it was during a raid right after someone had fucked up and wiped us.

Caliane

Edit: You left out the other tiers! $200 is instant alpha access, and there's $1000 and $2500 levels too.

I don't like being right
frown.png

At least they give you a chance at the $20 level even. This really feels like a "EQN is charging for alpha and people are paying? Shit, lets announce quickly, and start getting some money too!"
I assume the credits is for cash towards in game store at least. So, you are getting more towards later game. Like most f2p games with crowd funding do.

Yeah, actually looking at it. This is a clearly a well designed crowdfund.
milestones, credits. paying $$ gives DIRECT effects such as getting your name in the game, or designing a biome. in the same way PoE does unique items.

Not a silly preorder for a free game, with gross price points like Landmark. Looks like Sony didnt do any homework in making theirs.
(imagine if they did make a pay 1000$ and get an item named after you.)

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Seriously ? Trying to spin this as somehow "better" than SOE's version of kickstarter ?

Look I've given Butler and company as much shit as anyone, but for gods sake , this is no different or honestly slightly worse as now Trion is Johnny come lately "I want a piece of that alpha payment for some minecraft in your mmo" pie.

SOE is getting grief from hell and anyone buying a 99 dollar pack also , but Trion is ok offering tiers 20x that.

Makes sense.

Caliane

yes? multiple price points(including much lower ones) milestones. in game cash.
Buying now, actually gets you things in game. at minimum cash for the store. higher tiers with actual tangible rewards in the form getting things named after you, and direct impact on the games creation.

vs paying for... access. All you get in the Landmark one is access. and a couple decorative items. And at silly high price points. they copied a pre-order formula, NOT a crowdfund formula for designing the packages. the rewards are the same as what you would get with a pre-order.

you actually get things in this one. THIS is a well designed crowd fund, just like the Path of Exile one was.

I don't give a fuck of SoE offered a 10k$ package, if the rewards for that package were actually direct impact on the gameworld for your contribution. naming a city after you or some shit. That is not the problem, in fact, that would be a GREAT idea. the problem is the 3 price points they have, don't give you shit for actually doing them, save feeding an addiction to "must play right now".
They could be making even more money if they designed the packs well. Currently, however it is a giant idiot test.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
yes? multiple price points(including much lower ones) milestones. in game cash.
Buying now, actually gets you things in game. at minimum cash for the store. higher tiers with actual tangible rewards in the form getting things named after you, and direct impact on the games creation.

vs paying for... access. All you get in the Landmark one is access. and a couple decorative items. And at silly high price points. they copied a pre-order formula, NOT a crowdfund formula for designing the packages. the rewards are the same as what you would get with a pre-order.

you actually get things in this one. THIS is a well designed crowd fund, just like the Path of Exile one was.

I don't give a fuck of SoE offered a 10k$ package, if the rewards for that package were actually direct impact on the gameworld for your contribution. naming a city after you or some shit. That is not the problem, in fact, that would be a GREAT idea. the problem is the 3 price points they have, don't give you shit for actually doing them, save feeding an addiction to "must play right now".
They could be making even more money if they designed the packs well. Currently, however it is a giant idiot test.
Wait, what? How does this offer anything more valuable than what the EQN:Landmark ones do? The landmark one provides a max tier axe, an inventory size upgrade, a 10% bonus to gathering, a bonus to crafting skill, vanity items, costumes, and keys to share.... And a couple other things I'm forgetting.