True Detective

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Also I think for sure the contaminated water has to be making people see shit. No way they are trying to pass all this bullshit off as really real.

The ghost scene from when they executed Wheeler would have been from years ago, if so, then they have been drinking tainted water for years but saw no ghosts from that Wheeler murder to now. Doesn't add up for me. People keep referring to some female entity, I think the scientist awoke something beneath the ice. Rose Aguineau implies it, the scientists refer to whatever it is as "she". The plot demanded for a research station that digs ice cores, so it's definitely something from beneath the ice. The missing woman in the ice caves also seems to point to that. Someone mentioned some sort of virus, it's possible. Maybe it's some prehistoric virus that once it gets into you, it turns you crazy. They did spend more than 2 seconds talking about them digging for prehistoric viruses so that has to be foreshadowing

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The ghost scene from when they executed Wheeler would have been from years ago, if so, then they have been drinking tainted water for years but saw no ghosts from that Wheeler murder to now. Doesn't add up for me. People keep referring to some female entity, I think the scientist awoke something beneath the ice. Rose Aguineau implies it, the scientists refer to whatever it is as "she". The plot demanded for for a research station that dogs ice cores, so it's definitely something from beneath the ice. The missing woman in the ice caves also seems to point to that. Someone mentioned some sort of virus, it's possible. Maybe it's some prehistoric virus that once it gets into you, it turns you crazy. They did spend more than 2 seconds talking about them digging for prehistoric viruses so that has to be foreshadowing
I assumed the referenced "She" was the dead native girl from 7 years ago.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watched the latest episode last night. I still think it might be some ancient virus that makes people go crazy from the whale bones or whatever, but I do like the theory that it's tainted water from the evil mining company, they just haven't shown anything with people drinking water, so the jury is still out on that one. Just no hints or foreshadowing about water, you figure at least somebody would say "man this water tastes weird!"

The one thing I did realize after getting through that slog of an episode is that there simply isn't any likeable characters. I was trying to give the show a chance, but probably realized it sooner.

Jodi - good actor, but utterly detestable, yeah I'm supposed to have sympathy because she lost her little boy or something

Cheek piercings - she's at least a little bit more interesting, but PTSD veteran has made her a girl boss bitch, oh and her mom died, and her sister's crazy, so I have to be sympathetic to her plight.

Mail order bride dad - doesn't move the plot whatsoever, just filler

Obedient cop son - he's just a device for exposition because he did the research on the internet because that's what kids are good at. Jodi I even think told him that in an episode.

That guys wife - who cares about their marriage turmoil with him working long hours

Cheek piercings sister - red herring for magical curse, schizophrenia, but has only maybe had 10 minutes total screen time, so what do I care that that she falls into the ocean

Bar owner guy - maybe the only sympathetic character because he's trying to be a good man, but he's simping so hard on the cheek piercings.

Mysterious professor lady - interesting because I think she'll end up having some important element to the plot, but all she is is mysterious professor lady, but she did make a big holiday feast

Dr.Who - politician that enjoys getting laid

I think that's about all of them. If I missed anybody important, sorry. I really don't care what happens to any of them, and that's a pretty bad sign if your audience just doesn't care.

It just seems like every episode is like Araysar Araysar said, contrived drama that's supposed to make you give two shits about these people, but it doesn't work. Then you just sprinkle in these mystery boxes, fuck you Abrahams, and have a creepy ghost / hallucination somewhere towards the climax of the episode. Just so much of every episode is just boring BS, and you're supposed to get excited waiting for the big clue.

I'm really starting to think they just had some stupid idea and wrote themselves into a corner. Instead relying upon the actors and the setting, which if there's any standout portion of the show it's definitely the setting itself, perfect backdrop for a well-crafted story. Let's deviate from the procedural crime drama in the past and make it supernatural, because that's what the fans wanted.

It's not going to pan out to be something supernatural. Ancient whale disease is still on my bingo card. We still haven't seen the vault door that they show in the opening credits, and that'll probably be saved for next episode or the finale.

Also, there seems to be a big lack of any sort of musical score to the series, instead it's a bunch of shitty pop songs but I've never heard before, but anytime there's a dramatic moment, hey let's play a song from bitch singing through pitch modulation. It's jarring and overused.

I think I might go back and rewatch the first three seasons. One is great, two I at least enjoyed even with its flaws, but I don't remember much about three. I do know the characters in all of those three seasons were a hell of a lot more interesting and at least relatable.

Sorry for the long rant. I just haven't really watched a TV show in a long time because most of it's crap, I was kind of excited about this series but it's really shaping up to be a waste of time. I'm sure I'll watch the last two just to see how the hell they might try to wrap this cluster fuck up, I want to know if it's the ancient disease infects everybody and they all go crazy.

Edit: forgot

Fat lesbian Eskimo daughter - oppressed person who committed statutory rape, but she's also an environmental activist, which forgives those other sins.

Whole goddamn show just reeks of women being involved with every aspect.

Agreed to jump on a viewing of Season 1 with a friend who has never seen True Detective before, he had started with Season 4 just recently.

Since Nic came forward and disowned it (and posted a laugh emoji at the use of the circular symbol in Season 4), I was happy to inform him the usage in Season 4 is of questionable canon after he did the point.gif meme at recognizing the same symbol from Season 4. Believe me, I didn't want to put S4 down, but imagine your first experience with the franchise is Season 4, while you are simultaneously doing your first watch of Season 1. I had to say something to distance S4 from the greatness of S1 so he has a cleaner watch experience. The writing, directing, acting in S1 is so stellar it was doing a good job at creating distance anyway. He gets it.

You don't need jumpscares to create mystery and tension.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I assumed the referenced "She" was the dead native girl from 7 years ago.
No I think they said something like "She's awake" or something to that effect. I think that's the supernatural piece. Aguineau also hints at this early on when she says "It's older than Ennis", implying it's some entity that is primal or primordial that existed there before civilization

Danvers talks to that high school teacher early in show who says they are digging for some microorganisms but I think that's just a cover story, it sounds like the scientists knew about this entity and were digging for signs of it.
Annie K screaming in ice caves on video, also hints at some sentient entity. Then you got Danvers noticing that power gets cut in video before shit goes down, once again, sentience of some sort.

They also mentioned Tuttle corp early in show, so while that's a dumb tie in, it points to an "evil" organization funding this long research, so whatever they are looking for, it's probably isn't some bacteria.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The ghost scene from when they executed Wheeler would have been from years ago, if so, then they have been drinking tainted water for years but saw no ghosts from that Wheeler murder to now. Doesn't add up for me. People keep referring to some female entity, I think the scientist awoke something beneath the ice. Rose Aguineau implies it, the scientists refer to whatever it is as "she". The plot demanded for for a research station that dogs ice cores, so it's definitely something from beneath the ice. The missing woman in the ice caves also seems to point to that. Someone mentioned some sort of virus, it's possible. Maybe it's some prehistoric virus that once it gets into you, it turns you crazy. They did spend more than 2 seconds talking about them digging for prehistoric viruses so that has to be foreshadowing
That's why I'm still banking on the prehistoric virus deal. They made it a point to talk about them taking core samples of the ancient ice, but there hasn't been anything talking about why does this water taste funny. That's why in the last episode you saw Jodi going to talk with the guy that identified the whale bones in the murder video.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That's why I'm still banking on the prehistoric virus deal. They made it a point to talk about them taking core samples of the ancient ice, but there hasn't been anything talking about why does this water taste funny. That's why in the last episode you saw Jodi going to talk with the guy that identified the whale bones in the murder video.

Normally I'd say yes but they all seem to refer to a female entity, maybe the virus brings on mass delusion/hallucination but way too many unconnected people having it years apart, for that to make sense.

I think it's something supernatural they awakened.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
No I think they said something like "She's awake" or something to that effect. I think that's the supernatural piece. Aguineau also hints at this early on when she says "It's older than Ennis", implying it's some entity that is primal or primordial that existed there before civilization

Danvers talks to that high school teacher early in show who says they are digging for some microorganisms but I think that's just a cover story, it sounds like the scientists knew about this entity and were digging for signs of it.
Annie K screaming in ice caves on video, also hints at some sentient entity. Then you got Danvers noticing that power gets cut in video before shit goes down, once again, sentience of some sort.

They also mentioned Tuttle corp early in show, so while that's a dumb tie in, it points to an "evil" organization funding this long research, so whatever they are looking for, it's probably isn't some bacteria.
I bet they're referring to Gaia or mother Earth or something stupid. The Earth is unhappy that you're mining, for harvesting the whales, or whatever, and now she's coming at you with a sentient virus.

This is going to be some sort of climate change BS at the end of it. Hey if I'm wrong then maybe the show won't be as bad, but I really think that's going to be the overall theme. People are bad and nobody likes them, see how the Earth defended itself and killed all of these bad people.

Edit: sorry was catching up.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I bet they're referring to Gaia or mother Earth or something stupid. The Earth is unhappy that you're mining, for harvesting the whales, or whatever, and now she's coming at you with a sentient virus.

This is going to be some sort of climate change BS at the end of it. Hey if I'm wrong then maybe the show won't be as bad, but I really think that's going to be the overall theme. People are bad and nobody likes them, see how the Earth defended itself and killed all of these bad people.

Edit: sorry was catching up.

Episode 6

"Chief, I think we found our murder suspect"
"My God...."
"Put out an APB for climate change!"

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Episode 6

"Chief, I think we found out murder suspect"
"My God...."
"Put out on APB for climate change!"
Yeahhhhhhh....

All the drama in the entire show centers around women.

Even mail order bride dad is a gotcha that he got ripped of because he was trying to buy a woman, oh and she was Russian or something so Putin's bad, too

Kid who works his ass off, well his marriage is falling apart because he's trying to work and provide for his family, but the family unit is bad, and we shouldn't have to conform to traditional roles.

Bartender Eskimo, look how subservient a man needs to be to make you a happy woman. This is really the type of man you want but you can always tell him no leave me alone.

Cheek piercings, look at how all these white men beat her up and she's a victimized woman of color. She's the real hero.

Now that I'm really thinking about it the show is an utter piece of shit, and I think I enjoyed season 3 more.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>

I thought so too but this is supposed to be True Detective. No way some Lovecraftian she could be awake and killing people.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I thought so too but this is supposed to be True Detective. No way some Lovecraftian she could be awake and killing people.

Bro I'm starting to think that HBO tried making an unrelated super natural show, it didn't go as planned, so they slapped the "True Detective" brand on it and shoved it out of the door.

There is almost zero detective work going on here

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Bro I'm starting to think that HBO tried making an unrelated super natural show, it didn't go as planned, so they slapped the "True Detective" brand on it and shoved it out of the door.

There is almost zero detective work going on here
They gave us the Fallout 76 treatment.

• 2Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It'll be interesting to see the FOH takes shifting in the coming week. Everyone was saying how S4 was "good but different".

It was telling you had all these big posts talking about how solid S4 is, even great-- with basically no real content in them besides saying how good it is, or how much they are enjoying the season. Almost completely detached from True Detective itself. None of this tracked with the discussion of S1, S2, S3 when they aired, so I knew immediately something was off when a True Detective thread is just posts saying how good it is, while Araysar argued with Ossoi.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
People shouldn't need to explain or defend why they like something.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It'll be interesting to see the FOH takes shifting in the coming week. Everyone was saying how S4 was "good but different".

It was telling you had all these big posts talking about how solid S4 is, even great-- with basically no real content in them besides saying how good it is, or how much they are enjoying the season. Almost completely detached from True Detective itself. None of this tracked with the discussion of S1, S2, S3 when they aired, so I knew immediately something was off when a True Detective thread is just posts saying how good it is, while Araysar argued with Ossoi.
I don't think I ever really posted anything about the show I'm the past, but I guess the way I've felt watching it was as follows:

E1 - interesting premise, there's a mystery, I want to tune in next week.

E2 - a little bit more mystery and attempting to flesh out the characters, but nothing really happens

E3- pretty damn boring and more character drama for people I don't care about, but there's a zombie ghost man in the hospital and jump scares are cool

E4 - more useless character drama and here's some ghosts / hallucinations, oh and don't forget you're in the night country now, because that's what the show is called. Pretty clever!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I don't think I ever really posted anything about the show I'm the past, but I guess the way I've felt watching it was as follows:

E1 - interesting premise, there's a mystery, I want to tune in next week.

E2 - a little bit more mystery and attempting to flesh out the characters, but nothing really happens

E3- pretty damn boring and more character drama for people I don't care about, but there's a zombie ghost man in the hospital and jump scares are cool

E4 - more useless character drama and here's some ghosts / hallucinations, oh and don't forget you're in the night country now, because that's what the show is called. Pretty clever!

I'm expecting that in finale someone will get called a "True Detective"

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users