True Detective

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You didn't get trolled. You thought you were watching the Carcosa and Rapings show. You were watching the Marty and Rust show. It happens, when you set up expectations sometimes you see things that aren't there. I feel like maybe someone said this all before me, someone maybe in the very show we are commenting on...
i made the mistake of looking at those things as clues and meanwhile it was just shit that was thrown out there to fuck with people. i try not to get duped like with the yellow themes and patterns, but the daughter and the interview with the homo who said he was molested at school i thought had something to do with the mystery. next time i will just keep in mind there are no clues and its just drama to get the lead actors to say cool shit to each other.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i made the mistake of looking at those things as clues and meanwhile it was just shit that was thrown out there to fuck with people. i try not to get duped like with the yellow themes and patterns, but the daughter and the interview with the homo who said he was molested at school i thought had something to do with the mystery. next time i will just keep in mind there are no clues and its just drama to get the lead actors to say cool shit to each other.
No, dude, they weren't there just to fuck with people. You made the mistake of looking for clues trying to solve the mystery. In the course of your investigation, you missed the story that was being told. And your investigation was off the rails to begin with, there was never any connection between Marty's daughter and the Tuttle schools.

Really I don't blame you, modern tv has kind of programmed us to do this dumb shit. But it really is a shame.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It wasn't to fuck with people. The dolls and the sex shit were there to show you how Marty was not there for the family when he was needed. Instead he was out drinking and fucking his girl toy. And he could of been there and maybe stop his girl from being a little whore later. He blamed himself in the interviews with the cops.

Blame it on the lost syndrome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So when they finish grilling the Sheriff, Rust mumbles something about "he's something something something, we'll push the Maserati over a guardrail".. what the hell was that whole line?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No, dude, they weren't there just to fuck with people. You made the mistake of looking for clues trying to solve the mystery. In the course of your investigation, you missed the story that was being told. And your investigation was off the rails to begin with, there was never any connection between Marty's daughter and the Tuttle schools.

Really I don't blame you, modern tv has kind of programmed us to do this dumb shit. But it really is a shame.
actually marty was shown to be a religious person and it would not be too much of a stretch to assume he sent his kids to a religious(tuttle) school. my parents were only a little religious and they still sent me to catholic school. yeah i fucked up, but it really wasnt an unfounded fuck up. next time i wont even expect a mystery because there was none. the only thing about that episode that pissed me off was how they closed the case, they saw a green house that was newly painted and extrapolated green house =green ears= the killer. there was already a scene with childress and green ear phones, that makes more sense to them as well as the audience as a clue because it was established. they took all of the sleuthing aspect from this show when they just pull the key clue that very second right out of their ass. it made for great drama though so it wasnt all bad.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the only thing about that episode that pissed me off was how they closed the case, they saw a green house that was newly painted and extrapolated green house =green ears= the killer. there was already a scene with childress and green ear phones, that makes more sense to them as well as the audience as a clue because it was established. they took all of the sleuthing aspect from this show when they just pull the key clue that very second right out of their ass. it made for great drama though so it wasnt all bad.
This is why one of the main discussions when the show started they drilled the detectives curse, even after winning, Rust is pissed because he saw the guy and and clues and still didnt put any of the shit together 17 years ago. Holy hell. If it wasnt for you and everyone else throwing out these fucking theories It would have never crossed my mind or even considered Marty being a rapist ect, even through the series Marty cant stomach shit yet people were still claiming hes some sick bastard

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Great show - the first 7 episodes were really as close to 10/10 as I can imagine in a shows first season. Last episode didn't match the preceding 7 episodes brilliance, but they did an okay job wrapping it up. Hard to call this show a 10/10, as I don't think for me there will be much re-watchability. In fact, I doubt I'd ever watch it again. That said, I'm really looking forward to what they do next and am glad they didn't go off the rails with any spiritual/sci-fi bullshit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If it wasnt for you and everyone else throwing out these fucking theories It would have never crossed my mind or even considered Marty being a rapist ect, even through the series Marty cant stomach shit yet people were still claiming hes some sick bastard
I never thought that either. And honestly I don't even know where this came from.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
actually marty was shown to be a religious person and it would not be too much of a stretch to assume he sent his kids to a religious(tuttle) school. my parents were only a little religious and they still sent me to catholic school. yeah i fucked up, but it really wasnt an unfounded fuck up. next time i wont even expect a mystery because there was none. the only thing about that episode that pissed me off was how they closed the case, they saw a green house that was newly painted and extrapolated green house =green ears= the killer. there was already a scene with childress and green ear phones, that makes more sense to them as well as the audience as a clue because it was established. they took all of the sleuthing aspect from this show when they just pull the key clue that very second right out of their ass. it made for great drama though so it wasnt all bad.
What was it that alerted you to Marty's deep religious sentiment, his chronic booze hounding or his 19 year old side piece? You twisted the facts to fit what you had in your head, they actually spent a good deal of time in this very show talking about this phenomenon.

The whole clue thing, I agree with you on. That was kind of horseshit. Marty just happened to remember this house being freshly painted? Seems thin.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The whole clue thing, I agree with you on. That was kind of horseshit. Marty just happened to remember this house being freshly painted? Seems thin.
I agree.

Hey wait, I saw a picture back in 95 of a green house, must be why his ears were green! Here it is!

Homsar

So when they finish grilling the Sheriff, Rust mumbles something about "he's something something something, we'll push the Maserati over a guardrail".. what the hell was that whole line?
He said "I think we would be a whole lot safer if we staged something marty, push the maserati over a guardrail"

Homsar

He never said he remembered it being freshly painted, Marty wasnt the best detective back then and was drunk every day at work, he didnt put anything together until looking at the evidence for once and asking Rust if it looked like fresh paint, the whole thing is marty finally caring about the case because he owes a debt for fucking up in the past and now hes going over the evidence that he didnt really give much about in the past.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I get that, i was being a little short with it. I still think it seems pretty thin. But, or course, I am sure breakthroughs happen like that on cases. It just doesn't seem plausible to a layman.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Was there any sort of explanation for why the dad was tied to that bed in the shed?
I think was Lithose said is likely, that Errol and his methhead buddies took the Mardi Gras thing way way beyond what the rest of the family was doing and the family tried to intervene but Errol was gone by then.

Did you see that mountainous pile of clothes? My god.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
He never said he remembered it being freshly painted, Marty wasnt the best detective back thenand was drunk every day at work, he didnt put anything together until looking at the evidence for once and asking Rust if it looked like fresh paint, the whole thing is marty finally caring about the case because he owes a debt for fucking up in the past and now hes going over the evidence that he didnt really give much about in the past.
No, he wasn't. Hung over and smelling like crazy pussy? Yes. Drunk? No.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What was it that alerted you to Marty's deep religious sentiment, his chronic booze hounding or his 19 year old side piece? You twisted the facts to fit what you had in your head, they actually spent a good deal of time in this very show talking about this phenomenon.

there were 2 things that gave me the impression that marty was more than a little religious. when they went to the tent revival meeting, marty and rust got into it over the whole point of praying and whatnot, then later on when his ex wife was being interviewed she mentioned that Marty had stopped drinking, but had gotten a lot more religious. i didnt pull that shit out of thin air. it was a well established point. as i said my mistake was thinking this was was a murder mystery with clues we could follow, there was no mystery and there were no clues except when they needed them right then and there to act on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Marty was just disagreeing with Rust because Rust is a crazy nihilist and Marty was a southern good ol boy who found that kind of open talk to be insane. When he stopped drinking, that was well after the Tuttle schools had been closed down and well after you had seen any behavior from the daughter. That part I had forgotten about, she did clearly say he became religious but it was after the fact.