True Detective

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was interested to see what they could do without Nic at first, but after Ep 1 I'm feeling a little skeptical also. Written and directed by a person with no real accolades.

Befitting of the True Detective legacy?

Season 3 had the who's who of writers working on it.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well I haven't watched but isn't it mostly female cast, directed and written by all women?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Well I haven't watched but isn't it mostly female cast, directed and written by all women?
It does stink of that. But I'll give any show a chance to be good regardless of retarded marketing and DEI silliness.

Edit
You know who would absolutely kill it at the head of this franchise? Noah Hawley, the creator of the Fargo series. Put him in charge and give him Dana Gonzales as the cinematographer and your gold.

At this point if you took the dark humor out of Fargo and added a mystery you'd get an instanely good True Detective.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First episode was okay, cool setup and most characters are interesting except the trooper cop but I'll give it a pass since the actress looks competent at acting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida

So its all directed and written by Issa Lopez, who while not well known here is a well respected director and writer in Mexico. She is basically a female Guillermo Del Toro (who is actually working with her on her next movie about werewolves). Check out Tigers are Not Afraid its real fucked but really damn good.

As for this

- Beautifully shot, even tho its endless night there is still a soft glow at times, which is accurate.
- I love Jodie Foster, she is always great, and is great here she can be a real bitch
- Supernatural tone is back and in spades. Yea it may not be "classic" true detective but I think they figured out without a McConaughey all timer performance it would be just what? Murder in the arctic? Changing it up is fun.
-Acting overall was very good
- I didnt love Navarro but im willing to keep an open mind. Keep in mind the actress was a professional boxer IRL (with titles) so yea she is ripped, but for what she was given she did well.

Looking forward to more, apparently Christopher Eccleston is in this too.

• 1Mother of God

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So its all directed and written by Issa Lopez, who while not well known here is a well respected director and writer in Mexico. She is basically a female Guillermo Del Toro (who is actually working with her on her next movie about werewolves). Check out Tigers are Not Afraid its real fucked but really damn good.

As for this

- Beautifully shot, even tho its endless night there is still a soft glow at times, which is accurate.
- I love Jodie Foster, she is always great, and is great here she can be a real bitch
- Supernatural tone is back and in spades. Yea it may not be "classic" true detective but I think they figured out without a McConaughey all timer performance it would be just what? Murder in the arctic? Changing it up is fun.
-Acting overall was very good
- I didnt love Navarro but im willing to keep an open mind. Keep in mind the actress was a professional boxer IRL (with titles) so yea she is ripped, but for what she was given she did well.

Looking forward to more, apparently Christopher Eccleston is in this too.
The research team at the facility will have found or discovered an ancient virus from one of their core samples from another period of life.

Upon being exposed to it, it spreads fast and drives them crazy, and makes them follow some sort of herd mentality, to where they kill themselves like lemmings.

That's my guess, and I don't think there's going to be anything supernatural. If you watch the intro graphics, they show some sort of vault door that looks like it's dug down into the ice, that's probably where whatever experiment is taking place.

There are a lot of other science fiction or horror stories out there that have used the same concept. If it ends up being different then so be it and that'll be great, but that's what I'm placing my bet on. I'll watch it because it's well produced and I have at least enjoyed the other seasons in some capacity because I thought they were original and well acted.

Surprisingly there was a Scandinavian show that I'm afraid might be the same goddamn deal or at least a version of what they're currently doing that came out a good number of years ago. I do not remember the name of it. I'll try to figure out what specifically it was but after watching the first episode of this new season it really reminded me of that particular show. I think that one had maybe two seasons and it was pretty good, but I'm getting a lot of the same thematic tones.

Anyways I hope it'll turn out decent and I don't watch a lot of TV nowadays, so if I'm going to I'd like it to be worth watching.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The research team at the facility will have found or discovered an ancient virus from one of their core samples from another period of life.

Upon being exposed to it, it spreads fast and drives them crazy, and makes them follow some sort of herd mentality, to where they kill themselves like lemmings.

A lab leak that drives everyone crazy and to herd mentality where they all volunteer to kill themselves. So a documentary, of sorts? Could be interesting...

• 1Worf

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It does stink of that. But I'll give any show a chance to be good regardless of retarded marketing and DEI silliness.

Edit
You know who would absolutely kill it at the head of this franchise? Noah Hawley, the creator of the Fargo series. Put him in charge and give him Dana Gonzales as the cinematographer and your gold.

At this point if you took the dark humor out of Fargo and added a mystery you'd get an instanely good True Detective.

There's a moron in the Fargo thread complaining s5 was woke

• 1Garbage

Juvarisx

Florida

That's my guess, and I don't think there's going to be anything supernatural. If you watch the intro graphics, they show some sort of vault door that looks like it's dug down into the ice, that's probably where whatever experiment is taking place.

There are a lot of other science fiction or horror stories out there that have used the same concept. If it ends up being different then so be it and that'll be great, but that's what I'm placing my bet on. I'll watch it because it's well produced and I have at least enjoyed the other seasons in some capacity because I thought they were original and well acted.

Surprisingly there was a Scandinavian show that I'm afraid might be the same goddamn deal or at least a version of what they're currently doing that came out a good number of years ago. I do not remember the name of it. I'll try to figure out what specifically it was but after watching the first episode of this new season it really reminded me of that particular show. I think that one had maybe two seasons and it was pretty good, but I'm getting a lot of the same thematic tones.

Anyways I hope it'll turn out decent and I don't watch a lot of TV nowadays, so if I'm going to I'd like it to be worth watching.

I thought about it cause you are right there was a show that gave off the same vibe. I think the show was called "Fortitude", it was a Sky British show set at a Arctic Norwegian settlement. Had Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrian) as the main dude, and Micheal Gambon (Dumbledore) and Stanley Tucci show up for the first season Deniis Quaid show up for the last two seasons. I remember for sure watching the first season and yea I can get the comparison so I wonder if they are doing that here, though this seems to be veering for into the supernatural then just "ancient Arctic disease" (for instance the wolf being gutted by Fiona Shaw).

I am hoping it will not just be that though, but you are right it very well could be. As for Fortitude, I seem to remember liking it but its been a long while.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I thought about it cause you are right there was a show that gave off the same vibe. I think the show was called "Fortitude", it was a Sky British show set at a Arctic Norwegian settlement. Had Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrian) as the main dude, and Micheal Gambon (Dumbledore) and Stanley Tucci show up for the first season Deniis Quaid show up for the last two seasons. I remember for sure watching the first season and yea I can get the comparison so I wonder if they are doing that here, though this seems to be veering for into the supernatural then just "ancient Arctic disease" (for instance the wolf being gutted by Fiona Shaw).

I am hoping it will not just be that though, but you are right it very well could be. As for Fortitude, I seem to remember liking it but its been a long while.
That's what it was called. I couldn't remember what it was because I watched it when I was laid up after my accident and doped out of my mind with nothing to do but a watch TV or movies on an iPad. It was a pretty decent show though, I want to say it took place in Iceland or something. Second season wasn't as good as the first and I don't remember the third. But that's definitely like you said The vibes that I'm getting from this season of true detective.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
1705849316131.png

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That's what it was called. I couldn't remember what it was because I watched it when I was laid up after my accident and doped out of my mind with nothing to do but a watch TV or movies on an iPad. It was a pretty decent show though, I want to say it took place in Iceland or something. Second season wasn't as good as the first and I don't remember the third. But that's definitely like you said The vibes that I'm getting from this season of true detective.

Season 4 of TD was filmed in Iceland

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
my impressions from 1st episode

pros:
TD is back

cons
  • title song is some POS billie eilish song
  • cop is a powerful woman of color who dont take no sass from nobody! also has metal studs in her cheeks and a neck tattoo. there isnt a single PD in US that will hire a cop with neck tattoos, least of all Alaska State Troopers
  • repeated shit talking of white people, specifically targeted at white people
  • more stronk women who dont take no sass from no white man at the crab factory, clearly written by edgy female writers
  • nothing interesting about the murders, or the scientists, the show has given me zero reason to care about any of them. it hasnt even told me anything about them other than their names and professions.
  • only 6 episodes and they already wasted 1 on nothing good in particular

not impressed so far and not liking the direction it is going

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
there isnt a single PD in US that will hire a cop with neck tattoos, least of all Alaska State Troopers
Ok boomer...

415061622_221411720956643_1496435597865878229_n.jpg

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Juvarisx

Florida
Ok boomer...

View attachment 510420

Not a real surprise, there are many Inuit facial and other tattoos and they would want officers in the area they are in that can deal with crimes involving the tribes effectively.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The majority of millennials have tattoos. If you want to be able to hire people, you have to allow tats or have a drastically shrunken pool to draw from these days.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like