True Detective

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
10/10. Perfection. I thought the finale dialogue wrapped things up perfectly...Rust finding meaning and hope.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Really after tonight's episode I have that "I just ate some prime steak and and a thirty year scotch " feeling after it ended.

Still who the fuck was that breathing hard and looking out the window in scar faces hut where his grandpa was dead and tied up ?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That was scarface in the hut, looking out, I would assume.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
This is exactly it. While I thought the ending was great, I was kind of expecting more, even though I really don't know what more I was expecting. I think the whole thing moved a bit to fast to be honest with you and could have benefited from a few more episodes.
I felt like the thing it left out was just the depth behind the killer. Like for example, we know he was part of a cult that killed for decades and was never caught, never left clues ect. So why did he put Dora out there is such a prominent way to be found? Why did he do it again 15 years later? It's totally different M.O. from all of his other killings, I think at the end, I was expecting more of the "why" behind it. (I mean, I certainly got he was mental due to some torture his father dished out--but I'm talking the why behind these actual killings being different.) Even at the end, he said "the time of my transcendence is close" and other psychotic shit that intimated he set these killings up to be found, lure the cops in. I guess I expected to get more into his head by the end, kind of pull back the curtain on the mad man a little more.

However, I guess the conversation at the end sums up what the audience was probably feeling: "We didn't get them all"..."Yeah and we ain't going to, that's not how it works in this world--we got ours." (Or something). Which is fair enough, the story wasn't about the killer, it was about Rust and Hart finding what passes for closure in this world, and I think that was a decent way to end it. (Explaining the killer, and his whole myth/psychosis, always runs the risk of ruining it--sometimes the mysteries people construct are just better.)

That being said; I still think some of the stuff during the season were red herrings and obtuse foreshadowing--but none of it hurt the show for me, the writer obviously likes meta stuff around his work. Overall I like that they kept it simple, straight forward and clean. Made it enjoyable as just a vehicle for the characters, which was great because the characters were awesome. Overall pretty great, looking forward to next season.

I had a hard time understanding rust at the end. I think he found something more to believe in and a reason to live. Thought they might hint at a new goal in life to fight the dark
He took on an optimist view at the end, I think. Instead of seeing the sky (Glass) mostly empty, he saw it as once having been totally empty and now being filled--so darkness was losing. If I heard it right, that is (Not sure). If so though, it's a pretty profound 360 on his normal pessimism/nihilism.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So any chance the overall theme of the show, the cult, Carcosa, The King in Yellow, etc, carry over to the next season, in a new place with new people? Hart replying to Rusts "We didn't get them all"...with "Yeah and we ain't going to, that's not how it works in this world--we got ours", is he possibly alluding that their tale is over and closed, but there's more to be told from other points of view? Would love to see this set up like The Wire, were each season has a different setting and focus, but it's all the same theme(or city in the case of The Wire)

Jais

Trakanon Raider
1) Rust's sniper was really quick with those shots from that bolt action of his.
2) The whole "light winning" spot was kinda the tits.
3) What sort to structure did the final show down take place in? Seemed like a Civil War fort?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
My hotel doesn't have HBO only Showtime (wtf?). So who is eating crow Astro or everyone else?
it wasnt like that, they left the possibilities open ended with the line "we didnt get them all, we never do, but we got ours" so i may be right, i may be wrong. what mattered was the guy killing the kids they were investigating was the one they caught. the people in the animal face masks molesting kids in the schools, the possibility of hart's daughter being a victim is "unimportant" to this particular case of the lang and fontenot killing. kind of a blue balls feeling, but overall i was very happy with the episode. hopefully next season its something completely different and they dont dwell on this same cult thing.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Great finale start to finish. Fully expected one or both of them to die. Pleasantly suprised neither did.

Only gripe was the green paint bit but in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
1) Rust's sniper was really quick with those shots from that bolt action of his.
2) The whole "light winning" spot was kinda the tits.
3) What sort to structure did the final show down take place in? Seemed like a Civil War fort?
i was thinking it was an old plantation or some kind of mausoleum. it seemed awfully well built to be a civil war fort.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It was a civil war fort. That 5 min video posted earlier answered a ton of questions.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
No complaints, great fucking episode. Really looking forward to what they come up with for next season.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It was a civil war fort. That 5 min video posted earlier answered a ton of questions.
Thanks, didn't see that. Just watched it. Glad they brought up how the killer was looking for a confrontation, because they intimate that a lot throughout the show--that these killings were trying to be signs or rituals (That's why he put them out there to be found.). In the end he even talks about "ascending". I guess he viewed the cops as priests or something and a fight with them could give him some kind of transcendence. This is kind of why I wanted more of the killers mythology explained, to answer some specifics of his "myth/plans". Felt a little let down they left that whole aspect kind of vague...but sometimes, as I said above, it's for the best (Once you explain something, it loses mystique.)

Still, great show.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
a_560x375.jpg